Who lets their chamelons out to breed in florida???

I think it has been established that invasive chameleons have a very limited impact on the environment, and native species, compared to more well known offenders like iguanas and Burmese pythons. It's just sad this proposed legislation lumps them all together.

I lived in FL for many year until moving out when they started killing the iguanas in my yard. None of my friends released any of their chameleons. There was a big breeder, in central Florida, that’s no longer breeding, posted on FB years ago, and I read it, that every clutch he hatched, he released half into the wild.

For those of you that don’t know they are already gathering up the wild chameleons in FL and found a few of them a home and euthanized the rest. The last update I read said they collected 150 in one night.

Last edited:
@jannb yes they have been trying to eradicate the introduced population in Florida for years. It appears they have had success eradicating the oustalets population but the introduced veileds are doing just fine and actually expanding their range. I also think the introduced pardalis are mostly captured as well. The veileds have a major reproductive advantage with their large clutch sizes. We can only hope the introduced Florida chameleons are at some point accepted as non harmful similar how to Jackson's are "adopted" natives to Hawaii.

Most of the non native, not considered invasive, came in via the plant trade as stow aways or from Cargo Shipments. It happens all the time, only exception is South FL has the perfect climate for them to thrive.

@jannb yes they have been trying to eradicate the introduced population in Florida for years. It appears they have had success eradicating the oustalets population but the introduced veileds are doing just fine and actually expanding their range. I also think the introduced pardalis are mostly captured as well. The veileds have a major reproductive advantage with their large clutch sizes. We can only hope the introduced Florida chameleons are at some point accepted as non harmful similar how to Jackson's are "adopted" natives to Hawaii.

I miss my oust...

Cant even find them no mo

Agreed! I can't believe that such a robust and once readily available species is not established in captivity!
Yes! I think there is a deep set flaw in mindsets somewhere because I've heard even from current chameleon community experts that they believe imports always need to be available to support a captive-born population because of avoiding inbreeding, maintaining colors, etc. Why??? Why can't we as a community be more intentional with breeding what we've already got from the wild, and keep meticulous records so that an established captive population of animals can sustain itself?

I think it has been established that invasive chameleons have a very limited impact on the environment, and native species, compared to more well known offenders like iguanas and Burmese pythons. It's just sad this proposed legislation lumps them all together.
I think part of the reason for that is that no one has any idea what may come down the pike in the future, and—whether practicable or not—they're trying to cover all the basses and butts.

For those of you that don’t know they are already gathering up the wild chameleons in FL and found a few of them a home and euthanized the rest. The last update I read said they collected 150 in one night.
Then I have to wonder why they keep telling people to leave alone iguanas that've fallen out of trees after cold snaps. It would seem to me a perfect opportunity to collect/round them up for humane disposal. 🤷‍♂️

Florida has lost the battle a long time ago with h invasive species. They might as well give up. You just can’t eradicate the pythons and the iguanas and they need to leave them all alone. That’s just my opinion! Oh and the chameleons as well!

As a resident of Florida, I see much larger problems to the native flora and fauna here than invasive reptiles. We humans are the worst invasive species of all and are constantly tearing out the wild lands for some new development and displacing all of the native animals. In the 30+ years that I lived in rural Massachusetts I never saw as much wildlife as I have here in Florida…bear, deer, wild boar, coyote, etc etc. The reason is there’s little wild places remaining for the animals to inhabit.

As a resident of Florida, I see much larger problems to the native flora and fauna here than invasive reptiles. We humans are the worst invasive species of all and are constantly tearing out the wild lands for some new development and displacing all of the native animals. In the 30+ years that I lived in rural Massachusetts I never saw as much wildlife as I have here in Florida…bear, deer, wild boar, coyote, etc etc. The reason is there’s little wild places remaining for the animals to inhabit.
I have to disagree. Invasive species have decimated some indigenous species, and effectively eliminated others.
https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-have-invasive-pythons-impacted-florida-ecosystems

Is it possible that some of the wildlife you're seeing is because they have migrated north to safer environs? :unsure:

Is it possible that some of the wildlife you're seeing is because they have migrated north to safer environs?
I’ve seen bear and coyote along US 1 with nothing but houses and businesses for miles around…no woods. Almost every night along I95 are deer grazing the grass next to the interstate with neighborhoods visible past the thin tree barrier. All too often I’ve seen wild boar which seem to be living right next to the Walmart parking lot in a tiny area of woods between the store and highway. Also frequently seen boar a couple of miles down the road in the wooded area that was leveled to put in a Walmart distribution center. Supposedly that same area was the habitat of a Florida panther and was protected from development for a few years. They aren’t migrating…they just have very limited habitat and need to wander for food.

I’ve seen bear and coyote along US 1 with nothing but houses and businesses for miles around…no woods. Almost every night along I95 are deer grazing the grass next to the interstate with neighborhoods visible past the thin tree barrier. All too often I’ve seen wild boar which seem to be living right next to the Walmart parking lot in a tiny area of woods between the store and highway. Also frequently seen boar a couple of miles down the road in the wooded area that was leveled to put in a Walmart distribution center. Supposedly that same area was the habitat of a Florida panther and was protected from development for a few years. They aren’t migrating…they just have very limited habitat and need to wander for food.
'Migrated' was a poor choice of words. Mea Culpa.

Do you also have pythons, tegus and other invasive predators in those same areas? All of those examples are/were at one time indigenous to the Everglades, and circumstances sound like species that have been driven out of their habitats. (No fear of humans)

When faced with being prey or moving to where the pickings are better (i.e. where humans live), humans may actually be the safer choice.

I expect it's also partly due to where hunting/taking is allowed vs. not allowed (developed/residential areas).

I didn't want to get into a debate about this. The article I linked—and many more show that invasive reptiles have indeed had an effect on wildlife in the Everglades.

Back
Top Bottom