White stuff coming out of my chams nose?

CharTheCham

I have recently noticed a little amount of white stuff coming out of my chams nose and he will not let me handle him yet so I can't exactly just wipe it off. What should I do?

He is a 1 month old, Male, Veiled.

dont worry about it... wet q-tip will wipe it off, while sleeping....

it does look like salt? if so, its okay.

Last edited:
He's expelling excess salts and minerals from his nostrils (cham. boogers) Nothing to do, they'll fall out/off on their own. You might give him a little extra mist to soften the boogies up, but either way, it's not an issue.

Salt secreting glands in reptiles are for osmoregulation (regulating the amount of sodium chloride in the blood). Their kidneys are not efficient at excreting excess sodium and chloride. Some desert iguanas also excrete potassium and bicarbonate by this method. The salt is sneezed out in a fine spray leaving white deposits around the nares. This is normal. As far as I can find it has nothing to do with calcium which is regulated by intake, vitamin D and parathyroid hormone. Unless the calcium supplement also contains salt it should have no effect. Fun facts: Alligators have salt glands on their tongues and can discolor their tongues.

Back
Top Bottom