White around nostrils

OllyP

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone could help me out. I've got a young female vealed chameleon, and she seems to keep getting a white substance around her nostrils over the last couple of days. I havent noticed her malting so i'm not sure its this.

Just wondered if anyone knew what this could be, or if its something to be worried about! Thanks

over supplementation or dehydration seems to be the typical cause of this.. what do you mean by 'malting' ?

I mean sheding her skin. I've been misting twice a day, and she eats about 6 small locusts a day as well.

I mean sheding her skin. I've been misting twice a day, and she eats about 6 small locusts a day as well.

ppl will want to know: how long you mist for, and what your supplement schedule is and describe how heavily coated the feeders are after dusting.

I've misted her untill everything is dripping wet, 20 or 30 seconds. I dont think it can be the supplements, the locusts have been fairly well covered, but aren't caked in it.

Little update, the white is no longer there again!

I've misted her untill everything is dripping wet, 20 or 30 seconds. I dont think it can be the supplements, the locusts have been fairly well covered, but aren't caked in it.

Little update, the white is no longer there again!

You don't need a lot of dust on your feeders if you are using the plain calcium daily. A little works. Is your water hard? Sometimes that accumulates on the nostrils, horns, or spines. Salt buildup can also be an early sign that the cham needs to drink more too. You should be misting gently, slowly for a longer period rather than short intense bursts. Sometimes it takes a while for the cham to start drinking...once it does, keep misting gently until the cham stops drinking.

Put her in the shower on a plant if you want. Make sure the water is lukewarm--not too warm--and let it drip like a heavy rain, temp should be similar to the rain outside when there's a hot summer storm. I had this problem of white stuff around the nostrils with my male veiled when he was a baby, and it turned out to be severe dehydration from inefficent watering methods. I personally don't think misting is enough, especially for a lady whose body tends to be under stress due to the possibility of eggs happening. I may not be right on, but I know that putting my cham in the shower twice a week has solved a lot of his health issues, from dehydration to trouble shedding. Do you watch her drink when you mist?

Back
Top Bottom