Which UVB is best? | Testing 8 UVB bulbs with a Solarmeter

Thanks Cyber for sharing :) I just responded to her YouTube comment and pinned her comment at the top so that others can read it first.

I guess that explains the spike in views and the new subscribers I've gotten today. Very exciting to see my videos impacting more people/chameleons. Today my channel hit 11k views. Slowly, but surely spreading good info about chameleons.

Here is my response for anyone curious:
"Wow wow wow! Thank you for the feedback and additional insights. Super appreciate it <3 In hindsight, I can definitely see how my 'experiment' is flawed. I was trying to show more the general trends of the bulbs versus determining conclusive numbers. It was definitely tricky trying to balance a bulb and measure at the same time haha. The T8 didn't have a reflector which I can definitely see how that would influence the numbers. I was just working with spare fixtures I had laying around. Would probably be worthwhile to test with the appropriate fixtures. I'll be mindful of getting a more accurate readings moving forward if I do another UVI measurement video. I'd like to do one comparing Arcadia bulbs. Have you done any research on those? Do you have any thoughts on the 6% vs 12% vs other %s?"

Not just people with Chameleons your video got share in reptile lighting by a Leo Keeper :). Fran complimented you a bunch too, I know the post I shared may seem a tad critical, but she was just trying to help, she was defiantly singing your praises for taking the time to do this, and said she thought you were a great YTer and the video was of amazing quality and seemed high effort.

Just want to make sure, you know everyone is rooting for you, and thinks your doing a great job!

Not just people with Chameleons your video got share in reptile lighting by a Leo Keeper :). Fran complimented you a bunch too, I know the post I shared may seem a tad critical, but she was just trying to help, she was defiantly singing your praises for taking the time to do this, and said she thought you were a great YTer and the video was of amazing quality and seemed high effort.

Just want to make sure, you know everyone is rooting for you, and thinks your doing a great job!
*insert a shocked face* a leo keeper?!! That's so cool! Never would have thought I'd be able to impact other species.

Aww that's so sweet of her. I do put in a lot of effort to make sure my videos are as accurate as I can make them, as well as enjoyable to watch.

Thanks for the words of encouragement :) Be on the lookout for tomorrow's new video... 7am PST, 9am CST, or 10am EST depending on where you are.

Love the videos. One test worth attempting would be to take the CFLs and mount them horizontally. For those CFLs, the reflector makes a huge difference, but the vertical mounting is the least efficient. More so in the case of UVI where the fall off is so great.

Also, the screen you used on the tubes didn't cover the length of florescent tubes, so the readings on those were likely slightly high. Even so, the measurements are very useful. It's definitely helpful just to understand the way the light permeates atmosphere conceptually.

You are using an incorrect fixture for the compact florescent. They require a horizontal fixture not a vertical dome. Using a correct fixture will increase the UVB output considerably. Here the UVI reading from a Exo Terra Repti-Glo 5.0 compact florescent in the first picture measures 2.3
Directly under the screen in the second photo reads 16.4
The fixture being used is the Exo Terra Compact Incandescent Fixture.
IMG_2231.jpg IMG_2232.jpg

You are using an incorrect fixture for the compact florescent. They require a horizontal fixture not a vertical dome. Using a correct fixture will increase the UVB output considerably. Here the UVI reading from a Exo Terra Repti-Glo 5.0 compact florescent in the first picture measures 2.3
Directly under the screen in the second photo reads 16.4
The fixture being used is the Exo Terra Compact Incandescent Fixture.
View attachment 274818View attachment 274819

Thats impressive. I cant get those readings with a 10.0 T5 HO and no screen. Considering 7.0 and up is the danger zone, some lifting might be in order.

Hi just wondering where the lights tested above a particular type of enclosure . As i have exo terra and repti breeze and the mesh is different on exo is silver so is more reflective than black repti breeze mesh or does this matter

Hi just wondering where the lights tested above a particular type of enclosure . As i have exo terra and repti breeze and the mesh is different on exo is silver so is more reflective than black repti breeze mesh or does this matter

This enclosure is a repti-breeze

Back
Top Bottom