Which species do you recommend?

Norn

Hello!

Greetings to all, I am new on this forum. I am reading it for few days and I have to say that I like it;)
I have a short question for members who have lot of experience with different chamaeleon species:)
I owned for years Veiled chamaeleon and now I decided to try with an other species...which species do you recommend for "advanced beginner"? I adore african montane species but I am not sure if they are good for me or maybe a little bit to difficult? What do you think? :)

Thank you a lot for your answer!

Greetings, Alex

if you're thinking montaine species, i'd say jackson's would be a good fit. they're tough and definately are a mountain species. really it depends on what you can find and what you like. i've been looking at a pair of quads myself.

I started with a Senegal, some people say they can be difficult, which I have no idea why since they're small, rarely EVER puff at ALL, they easily adapt to anyone new right away, and considering I'm a 14 y/o girl I'm pretty sure they can be easy to anyone who knows how to take care of a chamleon. :rolleyes:
It's probably since they're so rarely bought that not alot of people blog about them.

Hello!

Greetings to all, I am new on this forum. I am reading it for few days and I have to say that I like it;)
I have a short question for members who have lot of experience with different chamaeleon species:)
I owned for years Veiled chamaeleon and now I decided to try with an other species...which species do you recommend for "advanced beginner"? I adore african montane species but I am not sure if they are good for me or maybe a little bit to difficult? What do you think? :)

Greetings, Alex
i would say go with the jacksons....i don't feel as though they are extremely difficult to care for. however, they do require lower temps and a higher humidity level than some other species, so if you live in a really hot dry place it could present a little more of a challenge.

Hello!

Greetings, Alex

I guess it all would depend on how dedicated you are going to be to the chameleon. There are some species as the veileds that are hardier and if you miss a day of supplementing, or didn't give them water 3 times a day, they will not go downhill and die. There are others that need to be on a schedule and you have to have the care perfect for them, constantly. If you want an "easy" montane, you can give Jacksons a try. You can also try Deremensis. They are one of the coolest chams, but require looots of water.
You can also try with the Kinyongia genus. There are various chameleons of that genus that are incredible, but again, their requirements differ from one another. One very popular is the K. multituberculata (sp?).

Evaluate how much time and effort you are going to truthfully put forth in the care of the chameleon and make a decision with that in mind.

I guess it all would depend on how dedicated you are going to be to the chameleon. There are some species as the veileds that are hardier and if you miss a day of supplementing, or didn't give them water 3 times a day, they will not go downhill and die. There are others that need to be on a schedule and you have to have the care perfect for them, constantly. If you want an "easy" montane, you can give Jacksons a try. You can also try Deremensis. They are one of the coolest chams, but require looots of water.
You can also try with the Kinyongia genus. There are various chameleons of that genus that are incredible, but again, their requirements differ from one another. One very popular is the K. multituberculata (sp?).

Evaluate how much time and effort you are going to truthfully put forth in the care of the chameleon and make a decision with that in mind.

That is the correct spelling.

I have Kinyongia multituberculata. They to me are not to difficult. Little supplementing, temps around 81 82, but a higher humidity level, which would be about the same for any of the montanes.

Here is a link to some for sell. Seeco is a great guy and will help you out with any questions you have. He is the one that sold me on them in july when i started talking to him.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/kinyongia-multituberculata-cbb-pairs-super-cheap-deal-69107/

If you live in the New York-New Jersey area, I recommend you visit the White Plains reptile show... There should be plenty of Chams to choose from...I would go for a Veiled Cham:D:D:D:D

I also recommend Kinyongia multituberculata. They are easy to care for and super cute!

07192011_mouse.jpg

Hy!

I thank a lot for your answers!:)
I come from middle Europe...we have here cold winters and hot summers...so what do you recommend in general...should I keep montane species(T.hoehneli, T.jacksonii or K.multituberculata) for example outdoors for summer and indoors for winter? When keeping it outside in summer would be OK Exoterras flexarium? In winter for indoors would be OK Exoterras glass terrarium?

You are right, K.multituberculata looks very beautiful....;)
Hmmm...am I wrong or is K.multituberculata the new name for B.fischeri?

Greetings, Alex

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom