Which Humidifier?

Justin18

I'm going to get a humidifier soon for my veiled. The only problem is that there are like 100 different humidifiers to choose from. Also I'm a little unsure of what type of humidifier to get (I.e. cool mist, ultrasonic, etc.)

So what humidifier have you guys found works the best? Also what type is the best type of humidifier to use?

Venta Sonic VS205

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362601388.813459.jpg

I cannot say enough about how awesome this model is for chams! It's SILENT, which is crucial for reptiles bothered by vibrations. I've returned more than one humidifier because the vibrations bothered my chams. This model is found at Bed Bath and Beyond for $119. I've had mine for 3 years - it is made with a surface that doesn't grow mold! You use regular tap water. It has both warm & cool mist settings. Best one out there in my opinion - and worth every penny!!

Wow that's awesome! A little pricey but I guess you get what you pay for. I'll definitely be considering this model. Thanks for the recommendation!

Venta Sonic VS205

View attachment 74585

I cannot say enough about how awesome this model is for chams! It's SILENT, which is crucial for reptiles bothered by vibrations. I've returned more than one humidifier because the vibrations bothered my chams. This model is found at Bed Bath and Beyond for $119. I've had mine for 3 years - it is made with a surface that doesn't grow mold! You use regular tap water. It has both warm & cool mist settings. Best one out there in my opinion - and worth every penny!!

Hey there, that humidifier looks very nice! I'm currently using a much cheaper walgreens humidifier as I needed a quick fix for the dryness in my home during this winter! Which setting on your humidifier do you prefer to use for your chameleon, warm or cool mist?

Well actually there aren't 100s of different types of humidifiers...there are 3 basic types:

vaporizers: these heat water enough to boil and to produce steam. Don't use them as they can scald your cham and its cage plants and even overheat a room.

evaporative humidifiers: these use a large wick that soaks up water from a reservoir. Then a fan blows across the wick and pushes humid air out into the room. Wicks need to be replaced regularly and when they aren't in use the surfaces can breed mold, especially if your water is hard. The mineral deposits build up on the wick.

ultrasonic humidifiers: these use high frequency vibrations to "nebulize" water into tiny droplets...this is the fog you see. They operate at close to room temp because the water reservoir sits at room temp. The nebulizer vibration heats the water a very little bit but not enough to worry about. Don't let your cham touch the disk and you need to keep the unit clear of mineral deposits or you'll wreck it. Use demineralized, distilled, or RO filtered water if your house water is hard. This is the same technology used in various terrarium "foggers". Room humidifiers tend to be sturdier and last longer.

Regardless of brand, every model will state which of these basic types it is. The fogging types are best IMHO as you can direct the fog right where you want it with tubing or pvc water pipe and fittings attached to the spout.

I've tried and failed 3 times. I thought the last one I had was the keeper but it grew mold after a week even with cleaning, and left a layer of gross white mineral stuff over my entire room. I then looked at the reviews on amazon for it and they all had the same experience. I'm going to try this one next because its cheap and has mostly good reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Incorporated-...05&sr=8-7&keywords=vicks+cool+mist+humidifier

This is the one I had before that did its job but was gross and stupid and loud. Don't get this one.http://www.amazon.com/Vicks-V4500-F...5&sr=8-11&keywords=vicks+cool+mist+humidifier

I'm using this one in the living room at all times. http://www.amazon.com/Vornado-Evap40-4-Gallon-Evaporative-Humidifier/dp/B00O0WOO74
It's quiet and will bring the humidity up 5% or so, though I'm sure that varies depending on the gauge I'm measuring with. Plus, it holds 4 gallons of water, so it'll last a full 24 hours on high.

I use a conditioner in the water I put in and clean it every 3-4 weeks when I start seeing the bottom getting a little gross. Overall, it's doing alright, but my apartment uses forced air heat, so we unfortunately have pretty low humidity during the cold seasons. I've covered a few sections of Jasper's cage and I've added a second misting nozzle for the winter as well.

Back
Top Bottom