Which chameleon to get

monton

I have a question about the different varieties.

I've been reading up on chameleons as pets, and the one thing that I noticed that made me unsure is that they are pets that do not enjoy too mention attention (as opposed to maintenance), ie they don't like being played with.

I was wondering what is the most playful variety of chameleon, if such a thing exists. I realize that I'm not going to be teaching a chameleon tricks or anything, I was just wondering if there are chameleons that enjoy being handled, have someone pet them, or would enjoy just sort of sitting/crawling around near or on you while you worked on the computer, for example.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

any chameleon you get u have to gain trust from them. i have a panther and at first he didnt wanna be handled because he was mainly scared of me. now he walks straight to me when i put my hand in front of him. but i have been told by a few people that panthers are one of the easier species to take care of and also are one of the friendliest.

well I have many panthers. and like all animals the need to get settled in and get to know humans.also if you put your hand in any chameleons cage he or she will feel threatened.I use a stick to get my bigger chams out of their cages.once they are out they get on my hands and are fine there.some chameleons are more active then others.some will sit on my shoulder and some won't stop running.

I hope whatever cham you get suits you and that you care for him or her as good as possible.

That whole thing about gaining a chameleon's trust has bothered me for some time. A chameleon has a distinct personality. Trusting or not, some simply don't like to be handled. No amount of careful interaction is going to change that for some individuals. Monton.. to answer your question quite bluntly, chameleons don't enjoy being handled. There are exceptions to this rule, but they are far and few between. And, it is more than possible that an exception will change its mind and become a chameleon that simply doesn't like to be touched. If you are looking for an animal that you can handle and enjoys being handled, you may want to look at another type of reptile.

Heika

Usually near any major city they hold reptile shows. Do a seach online for reptile shows. Then you can see many different types up close. With any animal there is a big commitment and you should do a lot of research. If you let us know where you live we could help you find a show near you.

Personally, I think it is poor advice to tell a new chameleon owner anything other than to NOT touch their chameleon. Regardless of a keepers anthropomorphisized opinion on how their chameleon learned to trust them, the reality of it is that it will cause them stress. Stress needs to be avoided at all costs and is a very important aspect of chameleon keeping. I only ever handle my chameleons when moving them outdoors for sun, and then I make sure to do all my cleanings then. Yes, some people handle their chams and seem to do well with them, but it is very important for a new owner to realize that these are HANDS OFF animals. Even being present in the same room can stress them out to the point of hiding and hunger strikes. If you want something to pet, buy a bearded dragon.

i agree with lowendfrequency, chameleons aren't the kind of animals that you're gonna want to take out every day, more for their health than just because they don't like it. this doesn't mean that all chameleons dont like being handled, my veiled chameleon carlos loves to sit on my head. if your'e really interested in getting a chameleon i say go for it!:D but just remember they don't have the same tolerences as a cat or a dog.

p.s. i really like veiled chameleons, they get big and the males have the prettiest colors!

Last edited:
evertech11 said:
i agree with lowendfrequency, chameleons aren't the kind of animals that you're gonna want to take out every day, more for their health than just because they don't like it. this doesn't mean that all chameleons dont like being handled, my veiled chameleon carlos loves to sit on my head. if your'e really interested in getting a chameleon i say go for it!:D but just remember they don't have the same tolerences as a cat or a dog.

p.s. i really like veiled chameleons, they get big and the males have the prettiest colors!

You are right about the colors, but iv'e heard bfrom many veiled owners that veiled are more aggresive.

westcoastchameleons said:
You are right about the colors, but iv'e heard bfrom many veiled owners that veiled are more aggresive.
i agree veilds are ruthless. if ya want a reptile that can be held for hours and live 20 plus years get a ball python. if ya want a creature to be mistified by when he eats and climbs and will tolerate SOME handeling get a panther chameleon. if ya want a blue bar panther captive bred i have a friend here in ohio that has some at $190 shipped to your door. his name is Chris Caetta. let me know ill give you his email.....chris r.

lowendfrequency said:
Personally, I think it is poor advice to tell a new chameleon owner anything other than to NOT touch their chameleon. Regardless of a keepers anthropomorphisized opinion on how their chameleon learned to trust them, the reality of it is that it will cause them stress. Stress needs to be avoided at all costs and is a very important aspect of chameleon keeping. I only ever handle my chameleons when moving them outdoors for sun, and then I make sure to do all my cleanings then. Yes, some people handle their chams and seem to do well with them, but it is very important for a new owner to realize that these are HANDS OFF animals. Even being present in the same room can stress them out to the point of hiding and hunger strikes. If you want something to pet, buy a bearded dragon.
I agree...if you want a social animal get a bearded. They are also easier to take care of and very docile.

westcoastchameleons said:
that's not entirely true, i've heard of veileds that bite their owners when they open the cage, but on the other hand carlos has never even hissed at me, it depends on the individual animal

Back
Top Bottom