where to put cricket cup

whysoez420

I have a 2x2x4 cage and I just got a shefflera that's about 3.5' tall. I also plan to put branches/sticks in there so my cham can get around. Where exactly should I put his cup that I'm going to be using to feed him crickets? High? Low? Mid? I'm not entirely sure so any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a 2x2x4 cage and I just got a shefflera that's about 3.5' tall. I also plan to put branches/sticks in there so my cham can get around. Where exactly should I put his cup that I'm going to be using to feed him crickets? High? Low? Mid? I'm not entirely sure so any help is greatly appreciated.

I usually place one somewhere just below a favoured basking/perch place. I encourage you to have more than one (and of different sizes), or to move the one you have around in the cage. I like to have one very large bowl/basin that allows the crickets and such to run/move around in a decent space, and this is about a third way up the cage to one back corner. I have a smaller cup that moves around the cage at a higher point, positioned below one of the branches the chameleon most likes to hang out on. Put a little gutload in the bowl if the cham isnt likely to eat everything right away. If you have a misting system, poke small holes in the bottom of the cup for drainage, and/or place some large river rocks in there so the crickets etc can hoist themselves out of the water instead of drowning. And I free-range occassionally, when I am there to watch and ensure prey is immediately eaten or when the prey type is not dangerous to leave unattending (butterworms, sikworms, moths) or even overnight.

I would put it attached to one of the branches. Or if two branches make an intersection I would put it there so he can easily get to it.

Also don't use clear cups or they might miss the food. When I used a waterbottle with a hole cut into it he kept trying to eat the crickets through the water bottle.

I place my cups a few inches below their fav basking spot.

+1 to this, I put mine about 6 inches or so below their basking spot / vines, that way its not so close to the basking spot I dont "melt" the insects but close enough the chameleons easily see it, and eat from it.

Also don't use clear cups or they might miss the food. When I used a waterbottle with a hole cut into it he kept trying to eat the crickets through the water bottle.

lol, I have seen this first hand as well, it leads to a rather puzzled look on the chameleons face after no bug comes back lol. I use "cloudy Tupperware" now or solid ones. So the only clear view of the insects they get are through the top

+1 to this, I put mine about 6 inches or so below their basking spot / vines, that way its not so close to the basking spot I dont "melt" the insects but close enough the chameleons easily see it, and eat from it.

lol, I have seen this first hand as well, it leads to a rather puzzled look on the chameleons face after no bug comes back lol. I use "cloudy Tupperware" now or solid ones. So the only clear view of the insects they get are through the top

I was also going to say use a red solo cup, but red angers some chameleons so I wouldn't suggest it. :p

Back
Top Bottom