Where Is The Cin?

Texas Panther Man

Hi All, I was a member of the Chameleon Information Network back in 1996-1999. I used to talk to Ardi Abate often about issues i had raising an hatching my veileds and panthers. Is she still in the hobby and is the cin still an active club?:confused:

Ardi left the CIN and breeding chameleons. She felt that generations past F4(or F5?) were not viable, and that the idea that captive breeding would reduce the need for wild caughts being imported was not sound. She pictured more and more WC being imported as chameleons became more popular through captive breeding, with the constant need for fresh genes after F4/F5.
In her passion to do what is best for the animal, she felt it was best to leave the captive bred path, keep her existing chams until their final day, and to put her efforts toward saving the Madagascan habitat.
I don't know if she ever actually did anything toward saving the habitat, but knowing Ardi, I bet she did.;)
The CIN still exists, but is not very active and current. Ken Kalish stayed active with Parsons chameleons, but I am not sure if he is still in the Chameleon community.

Nick

The CiN only exists as a name and a website with a couple old articles that have not been updated in many years. There is no longer a member list, contact list, or journal put out. Ardi stopped putting out the CiN journals and refunded or donated to charity the remaining membership fees back in 2001/2002 (I'd have to pull out my issues to see for sure when the last issue was). After years of people asking for her help with sick animals and realizing the dependance the chameleon hobby has on wild caught imports, she finally decided that chameleon keeping was not sustainable and that she would rather see the chameleon hobby die off then continue to support and encourage importation by promoting keeping chameleons in captivity in any way.

Ken Kalisch (who had stopped doing the CiN with Ardi some years prior) went on to start the Chameleons! Online E-Zine with Don Wells and Bill Strand shortly after the CiN shut down. I currently run the Chameleons! Online E-Zine (www.chameleonnews.com) and while I've not been able to update it recently with new issues, I'm in the process of getting it up and going again.

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris & Nick. I have found the site you are working on Chris its very informative. Ardi was a sweet lady and very helpful. Back when i was actively breeding in the mid 90's she was one of the few people who could help you with unusual medical issues. Its a shame she isnt around anymore.:( I hope Ken keeps up the good work. I used to have the videos he and Ardi made.:)

Back
Top Bottom