Where did this beetle come from and can my veiled chameleon eat it?

ken_cham

About a month ago I noticed this little black beetle (actually he isn’t that little, probably about half the size of my thumb) and I was concerned as to where it came from and of course I wasn’t sure if my veiled chameleon could eat it so I was nervous. I tried to take it out of my veiled chameleons terrarium but it got away from me and I hadn’t seen since so I assumed my chameleon ate it. I recently added in a plant to my terrarium to up the humidity for when my chameleon sheds, and what do I see when I’m about to turn the heating light off, but the beetle drinking water out of my plant. I was able to capture it and put it in a beta bowl my beta fish came in, but I want to know two things. First, can my veiled chameleon eat this beetle? And second, where did it come from? I feed my veiled chameleon mainly dusted gut loaded crickets, but about three or more months ago I bought some horn worms and mealworms for my frogs and my chameleon to eat for something new. I was thinking maybe the beetle came from a mealworm that got away? (I uploaded a photo of the beetle)

Attachments

• 19BB2C7F-EBEB-40A4-BB35-8993933BBA1B.jpeg
    19BB2C7F-EBEB-40A4-BB35-8993933BBA1B.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 221
They are huge and creepy!! I had a couple pupate into beetles in my bearded dragon cage. The darn beetles were as big as my lizards! They are gross!

They are huge and creepy!! I had a couple pupate into beetles in my bearded dragon cage. The darn beetles were as big as my lizards! They are gross!

I know right?! That’s the main reason I lost the sucker last month, I understand why my chameleon never ate it, they are so freaky!

Now now, those are my crews favorite treat. They are extra crunchy and are pretty hard to pull off branches, they need to work for them.

Back
Top Bottom