Where can I get the waxworm? please help

Patrickn

Dear all,

In order to provide a varity of food to my pygmy cham, i would like to give them waxworm addition to crix. However, it is no way to get waxworm locally in Hong Kong. Anyone, can send me somw waxworm, so that I can have my own culture? Thank you very much.

Or anyone know which shop can has international order to send me some waxworms to Hong Kong? Thank you very much.

Or if there are some guys from Hong Kong, could you share with me, where can I get waxworm? Thank you very much.

Patrick:)

Last edited:
Patrick.. are waxworms legal in your country? They are considered a pest insect in some countries, and shipping internationally may present problems.

Heika

Hi Heika,

Thank you for your reminded. I have sent an email to my local department of agriculture for enquiry. If it is legal, do you know any shop they can arrange international delivery to Hong Kong?

I am sure that if it was legal, it could be arranged. There are two species of wax worms.. one is smaller than the other. Just to warn you, it has been my experience that brevs don't particularly like the worms. They do eat the moths well enough though. The worms of the larger species can be taken by the larger brevs, but they are too large for the smaller ones.

It should be legal.... i was from malaysia. They do have wax worm available in petshop ... they use them as fish food and for fishing too. Oh yeah.... cricket will be the best bet for your pygmies . My pygmies will only eat cricket, they are not so eager to take wax worm!!

Hi Heika and pohchunyee,

Thank you for your reminding. As read roo's article in www.chameleonnews.com, I already knew pygmies don't like worms very much. but they do like moth. That's why I would like to have waxworm culture. It is sustainable and easy to keep the culture, not like silkworm. In fact, I prefer to offer the pygmies month instead of worm, because they like flyer very much as my observation.

I tried to find it in fishing shop. But i cannot find it, they only offer shrimp, earthworm and sandworm. It is possibly because sea water fishing is more popular than freshwater fishing in Hong Kong.

One place you might be able to get waxworms that nobody has mentioned yet is from a beekeeper. The beekeeper would be more than happy not to have them around. The only thing about this is would they carry any parasites that might be a problem to the chameleon?

One place you might be able to get waxworms that nobody has mentioned yet is from a beekeeper. The beekeeper would be more than happy not to have them around. The only thing about this is would they carry any parasites that might be a problem to the chameleon?

Thx Kinyonga,

I know waxworm do attack the honeycomb and of course beekeepers don't like them. However, it is difficult to find beekeeper in HK too. Therefore, hope someone can help.

Patrick

Back
Top Bottom