When to start feeding my baby mealworms

DChalo

I just got a baby flapneck and he is a few inches long and i can only feed him crickets. When can i start feeding small mealworms?

Never would be good. Mealworms are a pretty crappy feeder. Superworms, Hornworms, and Silkworms are much better.

I feed baby mealworms to my baby chameleons as soon as they are large enough to take them. I breed my own mealworms so I have very tiny ones available when I want them and it doesn't take long before my baby chams can take them. I use them as part of a varied diet.

I don't agree that they are useless or bad, but I say that with the disclaimer that they should be used only as one part of a varied diet - not a daily food item- not good for that. For variety they are good. Ferguson bred multiple generations of panther chameleons (5 a the time of his book I think) using crickets and mealworms only and his nutritional analysis found that they provided more calcium at a better calcium to phosphorous ratio than crickets.

I don't agree that they are useless or bad, but I say that with the disclaimer that they should be used only as one part of a varied diet - not a daily food item- not good for that......

Agreed. Though I only use them for certain species on occasion, due lack of availability of feeders here. I might add that I prefer, when I do use them, to firstly feed very few, and second, to feed only the palest freshly moulted ones, since the chitin shell has not yet 'set' and is soft and much more easily digested.
As a general rule when feeding anything, particularly to young/small lizards, A few more of a smaller size is better than fewer of a larger size. Small lizards can choke trying to eat larger insects than their gape accommodates.
Its commonly suggested any feeder (especially for species that swallow without any crunching or chewing) be smaller than gap between the lizards eyes.
The reasoning being that the gap between the eyes (in most species) roughly correlates to the diameter of the throat.

I don't agree that they are useless or bad, but I say that with the disclaimer that they should be used only as one part of a varied diet - not a daily food item- not good for that......

Agreed. Though I only use them for certain species on occasion, due lack of availability of feeders here. I might add that I prefer, when I do use them, to firstly feed very few, and second, to feed only the palest freshly moulted ones, since the chitin shell has not yet 'set' and is soft and much more easily digested.
As a general rule when feeding anything, particularly to young/small lizards, A few more of a smaller size is better than fewer of a larger size. Small lizards can choke trying to eat larger insects than their gape accommodates.
Its commonly suggested any feeder (especially for species that swallow without any crunching or chewing) be smaller than gap between the lizards eyes.
The reasoning being that the gap between the eyes (in most species) roughly correlates to the diameter of the throat.

So, is only crickets good until she is able to eat bigger things?

I feed baby mealworms to my baby chameleons as soon as they are large enough to take them. I breed my own mealworms so I have very tiny ones available when I want them and it doesn't take long before my baby chams can take them. I use them as part of a varied diet.

I don't agree that they are useless or bad, but I say that with the disclaimer that they should be used only as one part of a varied diet - not a daily food item- not good for that. For variety they are good. Ferguson bred multiple generations of panther chameleons (5 a the time of his book I think) using crickets and mealworms only and his nutritional analysis found that they provided more calcium at a better calcium to phosphorous ratio than crickets.

I agree. Ive never heard of any cham being impacted from them Ive only read by so many that they can get impacted from them. The first two panthers I had were solely raised on crickets and mealworms. They were both around 4 to 5 months old when I got them and they came with a cup of mealworms with some type of veggie in it. This was some time ago and I forget the veggie but they gut loaded very well. They would almost turn green from the amount of veggie they had consumed.

Variety, variety, and more variety. Crix are fine but you can probably source a variety of
commercial produced different feeders at a suitable size for your lizard.
Meanwhile, yes, well gutloaded small crickets will be fine. :)
Julirs, I agree, better ratio of nutrition:chitin in supers I think, though I did find them slow
to take off.
P.s Sorry to here about your skin issue rescue, you win some you lose some, one you win is worth 10 you dont.
best wishes :)

Back
Top Bottom