When to place in lay bin?

SharpShooter

Avid Member
I've thought for a few weeks Rose was gravid but until 2 days ago, there were no other signs other than weight and colours.

She's cut back on food the last 2 feeds and today turned her nose up at anything offered.

She started getting restless 2 days ago and is now all over the enclosure although mostly up high and seems to be trying to get out. She's also gone very dark in colour and is very moody (even more than normal).

I haven't seen her go to the floor at all yet though. She has a lay bin permanently available and in theory she's able to dig anywhere as she's in bio active.

I also have a lay bin set up externally ready to go if needed.

As Rose is my first female and this is the first time she's laid, I'm not sure at what point to either transfer her to the external bin or would it be best to leave her in her enclosure (with bin)?

I would just pet her in if she starts crawling around on the floor (if you don´t have a laybin in your cage already)

I've thought for a few weeks Rose was gravid but until 2 days ago, there were no other signs other than weight and colours.

She's cut back on food the last 2 feeds and today turned her nose up at anything offered.

She started getting restless 2 days ago and is now all over the enclosure although mostly up high and seems to be trying to get out. She's also gone very dark in colour and is very moody (even more than normal).

I haven't seen her go to the floor at all yet though. She has a lay bin permanently available and in theory she's able to dig anywhere as she's in bio active.

I also have a lay bin set up externally ready to go if needed.

As Rose is my first female and this is the first time she's laid, I'm not sure at what point to either transfer her to the external bin or would it be best to leave her in her enclosure (with bin)?
@Brodybreaux25 @Matt Vanilla Gorilla Rose is finally in a hole and has been the past 4-5 hours. Question if you don't mind please guys. Come lights out time, should I leave things as is lights off or leave some light/heat available until I'm sure she's finished?

No changes to your lighting schedule, it’s not uncommon to for them to sleep in their hole.
Well that was stressful!

Rose laid 30 eggs! 20190311_103805.jpg

She tried a couple of holes in the bin that's permanently in her enclosure but didn't like it. Same mix etc. as I have for her lay bin.

I'm so glad I did and had it ready in case. I popped her in yesterday and this morning she's sat on the small ficus in there.

She didn't appear too tired and immediately had 3 of 5 supers I offered, (given the moisture content opposed to locust and crickets.)

With 30 eggs in her, you can see why I was worrying, given she looked ready to explode over a week ago.

Back
Top Bottom