when to introduce Sirabi to Romeo???

Lorelye R

:confused: I recently purchased a female ambilobe panther and a 1 1/2 year old male of the same. How can I tell when is the right time to introduce them???? How do I know if she is ready to mate??? I don't want to miss the opportuntiy to have fertile eggs..... I put him up to her enclosure and she just sat there looking at him- no hissing, no change of colour, she just looked at him and likewise on his part.....

lol! I have a Romeo too and when I saw the title I was like "what the heck"? I thought I had the only Romeo on the forum!!! I don't know anything about mating so hopefully someone else can answer your question!!!

Usually a female that is ready to breed shows pinkish colors, and if you were to show the male to her and she wasn't ready to be bred, she would hiss and gape at him and turn black. But how old is the female? She should atleast be 1 year old.

I was told when I purchased her 2 weeks ago that she was 14 months... She did not gape or hiss at him- she just showed orange on her sides????

Forgive me if this sounds mean or rude, I don't mean it to sound that way, but are you sure you want to breed them right away? Just a couple weeks ago you were getting gray hairs over your veiled female laying eggs, and I just don't want you to rush into more stress if you're not absolutely sure you've read everything there is to know about breeding panthers. Obviously we're here and more than happy to fill in any blanks and answer specific questions you have, but I wouldn't breed them yet if you're not completely sure you know what you're doing.

I'd also look up how expensive it is to raise a clutch to sellable age! :eek: Quite a few members on here can tell you that they spent thousands on a single clutch of baby chameleons.

Again, I'm not criticizing. I rather you think I'm being annoying than being shocked in 8-9 months by the amount of food you need to buy for all those little mouths! :)

hubby makes over 100k a year:) so a couple thousand to feed babies is not a problem.... but thankyou for the advice....

hubby makes over 100k a year:) so a couple thousand to feed babies is not a problem.... but thankyou for the advice....

Only 100k?....

jk lol

yeah sorta agree with Olimpia on this...but it is your choice, just remember not all eggs will survive sometimes, plus any possibl deformities, vet bills of possible future illness.

If you dont mind me asking what is your reason/purpose in breeding these chams?

I really don't understand the whole income disclosure-BUT-you really need to let that new female acclimate and make sure she is of tip top condition and properly supplemented PRIOR to breeding. The condition of your female is of ultimate importance to your eggs, babies, AND the survival of the female herself. I would personally not breed any female until I have had her in my possesion for a few months at least.

wow,,,, ummm not sure what to say but if you think I actually disclosed my fam income on here ??? - I was joking hence the smiley face!!! (but thanks for being so rude Julirs- really know how to make a new member feel welcome!!!!) I was only asking for info so I could make an informed decisions as the senior members seem to know more than every book I have read as all they do is contradict each other.... Breeding is not something I would jump into.... but really appreciate being talked down to by the experts lol

wow,,,, ummm not sure what to say but if you think I actually disclosed my fam income on here ??? - I was joking hence the smiley face!!! (but thanks for being so rude Julirs- really know how to make a new member feel welcome!!!!) I was only asking for info so I could make an informed decisions as the senior members seem to know more than every book I have read as all they do is contradict each other.... Breeding is not something I would jump into.... but really appreciate being talked down to by the experts lol

Rude? I just gave you some very sound advice, and I only thought it odd(notice I said I just did not understand it, I did not say anything else) that someone would need to disclose income. I am pretty sure smiley face or not people here thought that was a little strange.

I'm going to keep this simple because I'm only typing on a BlackBerry.

No one is being rude. No one cares what your income is.
You were not only given sound advice that I would also post, but I would even go so far as saying that if you breed her now not only will you have weak babies...but that they will be weak their whole life. They will also pass down such weakness from your baby females to the grandchildren.

I'm not telling you what to do. You may want to disregard the advice given.
Your choice, not mine. But I will not buy any of your babies if you do decide to to just do ad you please with out doing your homework first.

Good luck at what ever you chose to do. I'm just wondering what you are going to do with such babies that no one is going to buy because they will not be able to be used as breeding stock...AKA: they are worthless even for pets.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry that I'm so blunt or rude...I tell it like it is.

Harry

funny because even Ace thought it was joking- if you thought it was so weird, next time skip the message.... in fact i would appreciate you not responding to any of my posts from now on please...:)Thank you

what part of ontario??

and why are you being so defensive?? believe me, acting the way you are currently is not a way to get any sort of advice from knowledgable members.

id probably delete the thread and try and start off on the right foot. you clearly do not have the knowledge to raise a clutch or even begin the mating process (which I will flat out say I also do not know), however I would suggest you just chill and let things come in time. gain more knowledge with basic keeping of the animals before you start going chameleon crazy and get in a little over your head

being new on here myself, I feel for you... while you got some amazing advice I would do a lot of research before asking anything further... Makes me think twice about asking advice on here.... wow!!!! Bet you feel welcome lol:)

Shoot, I didn't mean to start something that would make you feel offended. I meant what I said with the best of intentions, just a friendly concern. Just like having babies is tough for women and there is a lot to consider, the same applies to breeding any animal. It's tough on her and there's a lot that needs to be done right to ensure the best health for everyone involved. Since it sounded like you wanted to breed them as soon as possible, I just wanted you to make sure you knew as much as you could before jumping in. That's all.

No problem Olimpia, I didn't take offence by what you said... I guess it is hard for people to tell by my typing whether I am joking or not- easy to get misunderstood.... I took offense to some just assuming that I am an idiot who would actually post my income on here .. I was merely trying to say that the cost of raising a clutch would not deter me. Cost is not an issue when it comes to my animals. I was only going on what the breeder I got them from was saying to me. He wants her eggs the next time she is ready... I was merely trying to keep him happy without risking my females health.... My first priority is my cham- then loyalty to the breeder. I do appreciate the advice you gave- thank you!!!!

being new on here myself, I feel for you... while you got some amazing advice I would do a lot of research before asking anything further... Makes me think twice about asking advice on here.... wow!!!! Bet you feel welcome lol:)

Carma-anyone is welcome to ask any question. No question is stupid (well-except the one that pops up every few days about breeding a panther to a veiled :rolleyes:). It is how you ask the question and then react to advice that "could" get you attitude from any member, old or new.

Everyone is welcome here, and I did not think you were "stupid" and I did not know that you were joking with the income reference, that is why I replied the way I did-that I did not understand it.

Anyways, if your breeder is any good, he should know that you need to get that female acclimated before breeding. It sounds like you care more about the animals then he does.

Now I see where you are coming from... lol... Glad I checked out your thread- some people are very opinionated and yes "rude"!!! Glad I now know who to stay away from lol.... Do you know why some members feel the need to talk down to new members??? I see that alot on here as I skim the forums..... I def need to steer clear of warpdrive- a bit harsh considering they weren't part of the thread up till then!!!!!:p

Back
Top Bottom