When should I worry..

vgaines

Rebel, my aprox. 8 month old male veiled chameleon had his mouth open this afternoon when I came home from work. I got a good look and the inside of his mouth looks normal. No foaming, no discoloration etc. Also, after his misting he was bulging out one of his eyes. I know they can do that to clean out the eye but he did it for a few minutes and then he started rubbing it on a branch in his cage. I gave him an extra long warm misting hoping it would help but he is still doing the bulging his eye thing. When should I start to worry? I have a new bottle of plain saline as well as antibiotic eye drops that I got from the vet when my first chameleon had an eye infection. He does not like me so it will be hard to give him a shower. I will get him out if I have to I just don't want to stress him out. After what I went through with Raine I am paranoid. :confused:

Here is his general care information:

18X18X36 all screen cage (building a bigger one this summer)
5.0 UVB CFL
60 W incandescent light
6500K CFB for plants
All lights are on a timer. On at 7am off at 8pm ( I just increased the time because it is still daylight out at 7 and my bedroom has a big window)
basking 85-90
bottom of vage 70-74
lowest night time temps 60-70 Depending on temp of my house
humidity 40-80% High after mistings I mist 2-3 times a day because I am gone from 5:30am until 3pm ( I fill dripper with ice at 5:30 am and its just running out when I get home)
2x real hibiscus plants planted in organic soil and covered w/ large river rocks
sand blasted grapevine tree
reptivine
silk vines w/ leaves
dripper (1/2 gallon that I fill 2x a day
cage is in my bedroom on a stand. Top of cage about 5' from floor
very low traffic, not close to air vent

crickets, phoenix worms, silk worms, hornworms gut loaded with bug burger and fresh fruits and veggies
calcium without D3 everyday
calcium with D3 2x a month
multi vitamin 2x a month

Is his mouth still open? If not I would just keep a close eye on him. I would also keep the basking temp under 90.

His temp may have been a bit high for him so he was thermo regulating.

As for his eye, it's still normal. He probably got something in it and needed to rub it out.

Just keep an eye on him and if continues for days, you see stuff in his mouth, or his eye gets swollen, see a vet.

Is his mouth still open? If not I would just keep a close eye on him. I would also keep the basking temp under 90.

No it isn't. He closed it after about 30 seconds. I will double check on his basking temp.

Thanks for the fast reply..

His temp may have been a bit high for him so he was thermo regulating.

As for his eye, it's still normal. He probably got something in it and needed to rub it out.

Just keep an eye on him and if continues for days, you see stuff in his mouth, or his eye gets swollen, see a vet.

Thank you so much for the quick response. I know I worry too much. Should see how I am about my human kids. lol

No it isn't. He closed it after about 30 seconds. I will double check on his basking temp.

Thanks for the fast reply..

So he closed his mouth after about thirty seconds after you write this long post about him? Haha what a rebel! (phun intended)

After the nightmarish experience with Raine, I can't blame you for feeling anxious.

As KingJulian said, you're better off asking questions.

His eye might just be an indication that he is about to shed or just a minor irritation.
I think you have his environment set up nicely.

One nice thing about Veileds is that they will eat some veggies, in addition to the bugs.

Back
Top Bottom