When do you stop and just let them go?

This vet in St.Pete has been seeing chameleons for ten plus years. I know several keepers that go there.
Dr. Tracy Anderson, 7620 66th Street N ... 727-398-7601, St Petersburg, FL
Thank you so much. I'm bookmarking this message so I can find it in the future.
I don't think my poor little Waldo is going to make it though. The vet called and she's given him fluids and a few other things, but he'd only gotten worse ?

Thank you all for your support. I appreciate it so much.

The vet took Waldo home with her last night to continue giving him fluids and monitoring him, but he passed during the night ?

She said he had lost 20% of his body weight in the last 10 days. It's uncertain what caused him to die, but I'm terribly sad. At least he's not hungry or hurting now ?

Now he's on metoclopramide for his "gut" after vomiting up feeders last week.

So metoclopramide does have a side effect of fatigue and sedation in humans. I’m not sure if it acts the same in chameleons or even what a tired and sedated cham looks like, but do you think that may be why he looks so bad after his meds?
I was composing a post expressing same @ a few minutes before 3pm when the power went out here.
Didn't come on again until 8:57pm. :cautious:

Then I was distracted by this fly... :rolleyes:

Just got back online, and read this:

The vet took Waldo home with her last night to continue giving him fluids and monitoring him, but he passed during the night ?

She said he had lost 20% of his body weight in the last 10 days. It's uncertain what caused him to die, but I'm terribly sad. At least he's not hungry or hurting now ?

So sorry for the outcome. You went so far above & beyond for Waldo... IMO this site should create a special medal (Goodness knows they've got enough of them!) just for you.

Just a suggestion... When you're done with whatever you need to do, it might be therapeutic for you to take a few days away from here (this forum) to grieve, rest, clear your mind, recharge, put things into perspective, etc., etc. :)

Last edited:
I was composing a post expressing same @ a few minutes before 3pm when the power went out here.
Didn't come on again until 8:57pm. :cautious:

Then I was distracted by this fly... :rolleyes:

Just got back online, and read this:

So sorry for the outcome. You went so far above & beyond for Waldo... IMO this site should create a special medal (Goodness knows they've got enough of them!) just for you.

Just a suggestion... When you're done with whatever you need to do, it might be therapeutic for you to take a few days away from here (this forum) to grieve, rest, clear your mind, recharge, put things into perspective, etc., etc. :)
That is a very nice sentiment. I really do appreciate it ?

I'm going to pick his little body up in a bit, then I'll definitely take some time.

I just wanted to express my appreciation for the encouragement and input everyone gave me while trying to help him.

I am so sorry for your loss. May you find peace in the fact that you did everything you could for him. I know it is not easy and I know how hard it is to go through this. They take a piece of your heart with them. Time will heal the pain even though it may not feel like it now. Sending you a big hug.

I’m so very sorry. :( My heart goes out to you. You both fought so hard and he decided it was time to let go. He’s at peace and is making the treetops of heaven that much more beautiful.?

sorry for your loss. Don't be sad just think of it this way he lived his happy life on earth and now he living in his best dreams. he is not gone he is still there within your heart and mind. Just take a few deep breaths and don't get another one immediately take a break relax and know you did fine and he is fine right now. I am fortunate to still my my young little boy kiwi. Don't be sad but don't forget him try not to think about it but keep him in your heart and he will stay with you.:)
R.I.P Waldo

You did so much more for Waldo than so many other owners would have. It sounds like you have given him the best life possible, and he’s lucky to have had an owner as caring and thoughtful as you. The love you’ve shown...just wow. And now I’m even tearing up. <3 RIP Waldo <3

You may have heard it said "the faster I go, the behinder I get" (bad grammar, but it doesn't affect the meaning).

I have been trying to help my little Waldo and the more I do, the worse he is.

The RI infection is completely gone.

Another fecal was done and still no parasites.

Last week, after eating horn worms for a few days in a row he threw up. Literally gaging and heaving. I wouldn't have know it but my little camera recorded it.

He's pooping very regularly, so there's no obstruction.

Now he's on a medication for stomach issues.

Also last week I saw him try to shoot out his tounge to get a drop of water. It only went out a couple of inches, which is a big issues with MBD. This was my concern every day he wouldn't eat ?

Now he's on a liquid calcium supplement twice a day (IMO it's a little late).

Suddenly now, he's so dehydrated! His eyes are sunken in and they're all dark. I've seen severe dehydration before, but it took a year to get like this. Not a week!

He had another B12 shot to boost his appetite, but still nothing.

He sits and stares at his food, but won't attempt to eat it.

The cuts on his feet are better, but he's constantly slipping off his branches. It's painful to watch him because it's just so sad.

I'm sure he's stressed from all the medication and vet visits, he just wants to be left alone.

I don't believe in torturing an animal because WE want them to live. I think if they're clearly suffering, it's selfish and cruel to keep them alive for our benefit.

I don't want to keep doing this to him ?
Agreed; at some point the suffering must stop. I've been told many a time, when they can't take care of themselves: eat, sleep, care & service themselves, it's time to let loose

So sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom