What's up with this urate?

i know orange urates means dehydrated.. but i wanted to check for sure if thats the case here. i found the poop on the other side of the cage away from the urate which i havent seen before either. poop looked normal.

Up to today, i have never seen him produce a non-healthy urate. since getting my husbandry assessment here a month or 2 ago and making all needed changes (other than cage placement bc the ac has surprisingly kept it plenty cool in this spot, and mistking - more on that below). His health has been great. i actually see him drinking off leaves and his own horn/face, always totally white urates with a tiny bit of orange speckling at the top, usually a little pool of water around it. and nothing has changed with the hydration routine recently - other than the fact that he totally stopped drinking from the dropper which is AWESOME bc he is getting it all from the mistings. i mist 3 minutes in am and pm, sometimes an additional daytime misting if the morning misting happened too early . ive done the "am" misting at 3 am a few times bc i am a night owl. otherwise its always between 8 and 9 am. these are all with a handheld mister lizard. ive had a mistking starter kit in the box for awhile now not gonna lie, but due to procrastination/ordering more tools to put it together, i still havent set it up. i am ACTUALLY doing it this weekend bc i just got the cutter i need. other than that he also has a cool mist ultrasonic reptile fogger that goes off 1-2 am, 3-4 am, and 5-6 am.

btw the weird looking hole in the pic is a big drainage hole, not part of urate. no more crix and roaches so i just went wild with drainage. included cage pix incase thats helpful. let me know if this is normal, or what it could be. if this is definitely dehydration, i feel bad for not giving him a totally regular misting schedule. but i wanted to see if theres anything else this could be since it definitely looked weird.

Attachments

• IMG-5949.jpg
    IMG-5949.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG-5948.jpg
    IMG-5948.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG-5952.PNG
    IMG-5952.PNG
    967.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG-5954.PNG
    IMG-5954.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG-5956.PNG
    IMG-5956.PNG
    1,017.6 KB · Views: 85
That is not an orange urate. You are fine. The urate does not have to be anywhere close to snow white. Now several orange urates in a row is cause for concern. But go a head and crack that urate open, i guarantee that "orange" is just a surface coating, Odds are a mixture of fats and dyes from the food.

Hi, are you getting his temps below 67-68 at night? I run my Jackson’s fogger from midnight to 5 am constant. It may be a little much but he seems to love it. I have never seen him drink for sure but I know he’s getting enough hydration anyway. I also have my mist king go off every 3 hours atnight for 2 minutes. I’d just keep an eye out for the next unrated and see how that looks. I think he’s fine though. He’s a handsome fellow!

Hi, are you getting his temps below 67-68 at night? I run my Jackson’s fogger from midnight to 5 am constant. It may be a little much but he seems to love it. I have never seen him drink for sure but I know he’s getting enough hydration anyway. I also have my mist king go off every 3 hours atnight for 2 minutes. I’d just keep an eye out for the next unrated and see how that looks. I think he’s fine though. He’s a handsome fellow!
Yes, I turn the ac on high all night and it generally gets down to 60 for the low. it is kind of a gradual drop though - it goes from 75 at 7 pm, to about 70 by 10 pm, then usually hits 65 around midnight, and 60 by 2 am. then the ac turns off at 7 am. and i will try increasing fogging at night. he does seem to really love it. and thank you :)

Why did you stop giving him roaches and crickets? What are you feeding him then?
i stopped about a month ago bc he never showed interest in dubias, and never really ate all the crickets, making it hard to collect the rest at night. also i had many escape, bc my 2x2x4 reptibreeze has very large gaps on the side and i didnt feel like always replacing the tape there. i had some lateralis roaches escape and i decided never again with those in particular. so now i give him silkworms and some of the moths when they turn into those, mantids, black soldier larvae, green bottle flies, and an occasional super worm (about once a week). i rear all of these myself, and id say on average, he's getting 2 types of bugs each week (5-6 feeders every other day).

That is not an orange urate. You are fine. The urate does not have to be anywhere close to snow white. Now several orange urates in a row is cause for concern. But go a head and crack that urate open, i guarantee that "orange" is just a surface coating, Odds are a mixture of fats and dyes from the food.
ok that is a relief to hear. could be the carrots i was using to gutload my BSFL.. i know those arent ideal gutload, but its all i can get the BSFL to go for. i will crack the next one open if i see another :)

Back
Top Bottom