Whats up Superworm beetles?

Ilike4hornedchams

Established Member
Ok, so I have like 20-30 adult super worm beetles right now, but these guys refuse to lay eggs or something! I have provided a 2 box setup where there is a little grate between the boxes so only little eggs and babies can get down to safety away from their cannibalistic parents. Any guesses why I have had these guys for months and I have like NO baby super worms at all? I'm about to throw them all into the yard lol. Been trying to breed these guys for a year now.. :( With no results to date..

The eggs and worms are so tiny that I don't think you can see them for a few months at least. Are you providing fresh food in both bins?

Well there is nothing at all in the bottom bin so no, only the wheat oats in the bottom one. So there is a wheat oats substrate in both bins but the top one also has a tray of greens and water crystals in the top bin.

We need to get rid of that nickname XD as far as your super worm adults do you have a picture of their set up? What are their temp currently?

Here is my set up guys, it's pretty minimalist, but It was what I thought should get the job done a least. Notice the bottom bin does not have a water source but I have been checking for any signs that there are lil larvae in there but I have never seen any! I figured I could put sources in there when I started seeing some, but again, never saw any. Is that my error maybe? There needs to be a water source for them even when they are nearly too small to see? Let me know your thoughts everyone!

20170912_071058.jpg 20170912_071106.jpg 20170912_071216.jpg 20170912_071227.jpg 20170912_071309.jpg 20170912_071315.jpg

I honestly would put a couple more cardboard things in for the beetles, they need lots of places to feel completely safe. Make sure you are shaking the top bin over the bottom regularly to encourage the eggs and super worms to move down. Also make sure there is a constant source of moisture for the beetles and yes you need some for the lower bin. Depending on the temperature the bin is kept at the larvae and eggs will not survive hatching well and the beetles may not mate the best.

I would add more rolls in there but I wouldn't shake the bin you'll crush the eggs they are super soft I pop mine all the time just moving things around they'll hatch and just like any superworm they burrow down and fall right through the screen

I have had about 50 who regularly don't fall through and my screening covers a larger surface area. They don't burrow as much as you'd think XD

Yea I get that to lol... I just let them be sometimes I've left some in there so long they pupae lol... I just don't like to move any thing around much I always crush/smear eggs

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try adding more hiding places and more moisture sources (above and below) and see if I start seeing some hatch finally.

Goodluck, sometimes it takes a lot of sifting through the oat before seeing any of the babies especially if they are super young.

Trust me! You have baby supers. I am of the lazy type, so I breed super worms in one container. Every few months I sort them and take out tiny worms. I can never see them until I have them spread out, and am looking very carefully. I never get the super tiny worms, but I know they are in there, as tiny worms always show up. Also I do not use substrate!!! Shocking I know. Mine live off the food I give them. I have one of the cheap plastic 4 drawer things from Walmart. I keep them in drawers by size. If you put in too much food and they don't eat it, they not only stink, they reek to high heaven.

My substrate is chunky oats (very thin layer) for the beetles, and for the worms themselves it's a slightly pulsed steel cut oat with my gut load mixed in along with wet food thrown in just enough for 24 hours.

Hey everyone! Guess what? I have FINALLY noticed many lil babies up in the top bin! Looks like they are scared to or unable to get through the metal screening to get to the safety of the bottom bin. Maybe adding the food in there will attract them? But as for me I consider this success! Woohoo! Finally living baby super worms!!

Back
Top Bottom