What's in supplements?

A lot of metals, heavybnones included are necessary in our systems...read the paragraph below the chart in the biological role title in this site...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metals

Yes but a lot that are quoted to be used in sticky tongue miner-all are not listed as necessary and quite a few are actually listed as highly poisonous. Even the every third feeding that is recommended for adults is an easy way in my opinion to cause heavy metal poisoning (at the moment I am checking all other supplements usually used for aquatic micro organisms). Since veggies and other foods fed to feeders naturally have it in their system in low amounts why would we need to supply it in a raw form in supplements when they are not easily excreted from the system and build up more quickly than they can be excreted when being supplemented for.

They are a part of something else. I am aware of this, the aquatic plant that was naturally grown etc. But usually those plants are used for removal of heavy metals specifically to have that much trace elements to need to be listed. Unless they are just randomly listing heavy metals known to be poisonous so that to scare potential customers off. But semi aquatic or aquatic plants like that are used specifically for removing heavy metals in the environment and take on a lot. I would never eat those kinds personally and I don't feed my animals what I won't eat.

The link I just posted above talks more about spirulina, but importantly it talks about how dangerous trace amounts of the wrong heavy metals can get very quickly, and that's in humans. I can only imagine how dangerous it is for chameleons who are more sensitive to everything practically and smaller. Unless they excrete them more efficiently than us, and sadly I don't know of many supplement studies for reptiles that go in depth about stuff like that.

They are a part of something else. I am aware of this, the aquatic plant that was naturally grown etc. But usually those plants are used for removal of heavy metals specifically to have that much trace elements to need to be listed. Unless they are just randomly listing heavy metals known to be poisonous so that to scare potential customers off. But semi aquatic or aquatic plants like that are used specifically for removing heavy metals in the environment and take on a lot. I would never eat those kinds personally and I don't feed my animals what I won't eat.
I realize that some plants absorb more heavy metals from the soil.
There have been heavy metals found in eggs, veggies, flowers, etc. And other supplements in that site have listed veggies and flowers, etc but have not broken down the nutrient levels of those items...so how does it make Sticky Tongue's supplements more dangerous than any of the others...not saying that any are dangerous...just trying to make a point. Do we know what amount of each metal is in Sticky Tongue's or the rest of the supplements?? Are they even at a dangerous level or not?

That's what I worry about... how much of what we are giving then is actually causing issues compared to helping them? Do vet's check for heavy metals? I mean I don't dust with supplements regularly. I think with my leos is when I dust the most and I only do repashy calcium+ and that's usually twice a week? And then powdered calcium once a week. But as you know I have my females a tiny bit of liquid calcium recently. O btw one of my girls is showing signs of being very gravid and will lay soon. She's been digging a lot in her lay box. I wish it was possible to get more scientific studies done for stuff like this. Because how do we know chams really only have as short as life span as they do in captivity?

I'm continuing to feed/gutload with fresh greens and veggies and a bit of fruit and hope the soils they are grown in don't have anything too bad in them that might have been absorbed by the things I use.

It's all we can do, I know organic stuff will likely have less issues. But I already use it since it's all I can eat myself. Some of the heavy metal issues seems to come from certain fertilizers and pesticides used.

Back
Top Bottom