whats a good price to sell baby xanth chams to a pet shop?

alex arango

so about a month ago i asked a pet store if they are interested in buying some baby jacksons, at the time when i asked they said they didnt want any but might be interested in buying some in the feature so i gave them my number. they just called me and said they are interested in buying 4 maybe 5, thats excaclly what they said. i told them i will bring in 5 and we can would a deal for 5 or 4, thing is i have no idea how much i should sell them for. they are always nice and respectfull when i purchas crickets and i buy from them almost everytime i buy crickets cause its close to my house. whats a good price to sell each or all 5 or 4? has anyne sold to pet shops befor? its not petco or petsmart idk there name tho it looks like a family bussiness or somthing.

General Pet stores are evil. Chameleons do not belong there. Specialty petstores of Nollege and care are differnt. Where the animals are housed correctly, fed and taken care of right. Don't sell them to be doomed by a 6year old asking mommy and dady for the cool lizard only to kill it in a few days.

If these store owners know there stuff. Differnt story.

General Pet stores are evil. Chameleons do not belong there. Specialty petstores of Nollege and care are differnt. Where the animals are housed correctly, fed and taken care of right. Don't sell them to be doomed by a 6year old asking mommy and dady for the cool lizard only to kill it in a few days.

If these store owners know there stuff. Differnt story.

i know there housed properly, feed properly, and have water to drink at the pet store because i have bought all my chams from them and all are perfecly fine, besides the babies and one that i bought at petsmart witch ended up having mbd. i know they will be fine at the pet store but i dont know about the ppl buying from pet stores, i understand its good to sell to ppl that have had chams befor or knows enough to care for one or maybe know them in person. but you can only do so much for them, you cant save all of them. how do you know the ppl that recive chams from this forum and that are shipped to them are going to take good care of them? they can just feed you some BS just so you can sell them your cham. i have asked them many questions befor when buying from them and they seem to know quit a bit about them.

forgot to say the babies are 22 days old. the store gets rid of them pretty quick so they wont be together too long. i would say a month and there all sold, i have seen some come in from a differant breeder and were gone in 2 weeks.
my females had 5 females and 4 males.

i sell my babie veileds at the pet store 40 each 35 if they take ten if that helps they are around they same price in stores so i would say you will get 30-40 each imo my petsore is awsome withchams aswell.

I wouldn't be selling those babies at only a few weeks old. They aren't out of the woods yet. Before they are 3-4 months old they are more likely to die. Once they are 3, preferably 4, months old they are generally less likely to die.

I wouldn't be selling those babies at only a few weeks old. They aren't out of the woods yet. Before they are 3-4 months old they are more likely to die. Once they are 3, preferably 4, months old they are generally less likely to die.

^^^^I agree with this. Way too young to sell. 4 months old would be best for the little ones.

that is crazy thinking of selling those babies at three weeks old. You are right you cannot save them all but you are sending them to a death sentence if they get in the wrong hands at that age.I can see someone right now throwing them in a tiny enclosure like a fish tank with a100 watt basking light and frying them. I am surprised the pet store would even consider getting them that young from you. hmmmm...

Gonna have to agree with Pssh on this one they are way to young to be sold in my opinion. 3 to 4 months is a safer age to introduce them to the market.

Arrrggghhhh!!! Off to the death camps with you baby xanths!! Please be careful, as this is not an anole you can just send home with some grunt to put in a fishtank. Mine go out at 4 months, and only to one local herp experienced shop, or to people with experience. I said NO to all my kids' friends who wanted one if they didn't know how.

I was in line at a local independent death shop, and in front of me was a dad with two little girls buying a "common chameleon", probably a juvenile veiled. No experience at all. I pulled him aside and asked him to reconsider, to go get a book on care and husbandry first. I hope I saved a life---and what a poor choice of pet for children! Go get a guinea pig, for pete's sake.........

that is crazy thinking of selling those babies at three weeks old. You are right you cannot save them all but you are sending them to a death sentence if they get in the wrong hands at that age.I can see someone right now throwing them in a tiny enclosure like a fish tank with a100 watt basking light and frying them. I am surprised the pet store would even consider getting them that young from you. hmmmm...

i know they dont use a 100watt light for the babies. like i said befor i have asked them about how they keep there chams when i bought from them, i have bought babys and asked them quit a few questions about how they are kept temps,water, and what they are feeding. they have the correct info so i decided to buy and they are perfecly fine since i bought them. they are not going to throw them anywhere thats not the right temp and the right enclouser you all are just asuming they arent taking good care of them because most of the pet stores you have gone to doesnt take proper care of them, how do you know they arnt kept right in the store i am going to sell them too? i said i see how they are taken care of because i go there pretty often for crickets or a new cham if i really want one. i know they are taken care how they are suppost to or else i would not sell to them. i know they arnt supposted to be sold befor 3 months and im sure the store does too but still desides to sell babys, i asked if anyone has returned dead babys and he said no, i cant say he telling me the truth but im asuming hes not a liar. i know they will be kept properly at the store but i dont know about the ppl buying them. i have not gotten any replys on the question i asked just ppl telling me not to sell them except one person. if anyone could give me a good answer that would be great. i dont want to sound ignerant about not taking your guys info, i thank you guys very much but i am aware of what i am doing and i am doing all i can so they wont be in the wrong hands but unless someone on this forum would like to buy them from me i am selling them to the pet store.

"i know they arnt supposted to be sold befor 3 months and im sure the store does too but still desides to sell babys"

So if you KNOW they shouldn't be sold before 3 months, why are you willing to sell them? I don't understand your logic here. You say you are "doing everything you can for them" except you are KNOWINGLY going to sell them when they are incredibly young and fragile. Just seems odd.
The reason you are not getting reasonable responses to your question is beacuse MOST ppl apparently DO NOT think you are being resonable in trying to sell these babies so young. Perhaps you would get better response if you were using the knowledge you have of what is best and responsible for the babies you brought into the world and wait until a more appropriate age to sell them.
If you are just looking to make a quick buck, asking for help on a forum where ppl, in the vast majority, take the care and well-being of these animals above and beyond is not the best idea. Just a thought, no ill will intended. I was actually only looking at your post as I would like to find someone to possibly get a CB jackson from at some point, but I would never buy one so young.

"Perhaps you would get better response if you were using the knowledge you have of what is best and responsible for the babies you brought into the world and wait until a more appropriate age to sell them."

i brought into this world? how is it my fault 5 females and males were kept in the same cage untill they were sold? i DID NOT breed them, the female was already pregant when i brought her home. i have had her for only 4 months and it takes about 9 months for the babies to come out. you oviosly dont know my situation on my babies and didnt ask befor saying that. i thought this forums would be a good place to ask because i know theres breeders that sell to pet stores but i guess they dont want to share there info. how do you know the ppl that recive chams from breeders on this forum take good care of them?? some probly just feed you some bs just so you can sell them your chams, same as selling them to a pet store. not everybody who buys from a pet store is new to chams.

can i just let slip what most of us are thinking? you sir are an ass.

if you dont have the time or resources to raise them up to an appropriate age im sure the pet store will do a better job in raising them becuase they have money invested. and them purchasing at such a young age is an obvious lapse of judgment, but even so if it turns out for the worse it is a lesson learned.

this is the type of stuff i know is going on but try to remain ignorant of. like "did that chicken i just ate from KFC have its beak clipped and talons trimmed so it wouldnt commit suicide while trapped in a cage barely larger than itself, force fed antibiotics and hormones to make it even MORE DELICIOUS!" yummmm

if you were selling them to experienced chameleon owners and could in sound mind guarantee proper care i could totally understand selling them at such a young age. but to a petstore that is likely going to put them immediately onto the market for inexperienced keepers thats an issue.

if the petstore intends on holding them until theyre well established. great, thats fine. its just something that should be considered before making such a decision.

if the petstore had half a mind about them id assume theyr would keep you roped in on feeders up until theyre of an appropriate age rather than taking them off your hands and having to deal with it themselves.

if you hold onto them and care for them up till 3 months you can ask $70 easily for CH or CB xanths. its just something you wont find often. and the WC adults go for much less so its kind of a novelty. id rather get a ch or cb and not have to worry about parasites than have a WC and spend quadruple in vet bills

I am not referring to the ppl that buy them from the petstore. I realize you can't control what happens to the babies once they leave the breeder or in this case petstore.
I am saying you do have control over what age you yourself sell them off to the petstore. You have the ability to control your actions at this time.
also, when you buy animals that have been housed as you describe, one would think common sense would tell you the females will most likely be gravid. Hence, having a plan for the babies, such as selling them to a petstore is great. If you trust the store I say good job having a plan. I am only having an issue with your plan to sell them so young. Obviously you have your mind made up, so sell them for the $40 as suggested and God speed little chams. I seriously hope they do well.

These are the babies that you tried to sell at 5 days old, yes?

If you have their best interest in mind, why not give them to an experienced keeper instead of selling them to make a buck? There are plenty of people who would take these guys off your hands that won't send them to a pet store.

can i just let slip what most of us are thinking? you sir are an ass.

if you dont have the time or resources to raise them up to an appropriate age im sure the pet store will do a better job in raising them becuase they have money invested.

if you hold onto them and care for them up till 3 months you can ask $70 easily for CH or CB xanths. its just something you wont find often. and the WC adults go for much less so its kind of a novelty. id rather get a ch or cb and not have to worry about parasites than have a WC and spend quadruple in vet bills

"can i just let slip what most of us are thinking? you sir are an ass."

first of all nobody asked for your opinion MISS? or is it sir? sorry cant tell you look like both in your pic.
second why are you speaking for hundreds of other people? if you have something to say to me speak for yourself. if you still have something to say or if anybody else has somthing to say i would love to hear new things about myself or if you feel like i need to improve in somthing i would love to talk about it in a pm but dont be a punk and call me an ass and say other ppl are thinking the same as you cause you have no way of knowing that. that dont fly where im from, im trying to be as polite as possible becasue i know you dont live anywhere close to me witch is probably why you said that, i would say your some what of a "internet shit talker" or "internet thug" hiding behind the your computor screen.

"if you dont have the time or resources to raise them up to an appropriate age im sure the pet store will do a better job in raising them becuase they have money invested"

like i said twice i did not breed them, i have had my female and male for only about 4 months, she was already pregant when i brought her home, me and my father decided to keep the babies but them decided to sell them and this custamer came up so we are going to sell them, my dad witch is the primary owner of them wants to make some money he invested in our chams. so i would have to convince his to not sell them untill they are 3-4 months old but that is going to be a big mission to complete. he is very hard headed and hard to change his mind so even if i tried my hardest to not sell them it probably wouldnt change anything they would be sold anyways.

"if you hold onto them and care for them up till 3 months you can ask $70 easily for CH or CB xanths. its just something you wont find often. and the WC adults go for much less so its kind of a novelty. id rather get a ch or cb and not have to worry about parasites than have a WC and spend quadruple in vet bills"

the petstore that want to buy them sell there jacksons for 85 a piece babys or adults so it wouldnt make a differance if i kept them becasue i wouldnt make more or less. accually i would loose money because i would have to invest more in them unless i sell them to someone in person as in a frend or on this forum for 70 like you said. i saw petco had a female xanth for 150 but they only recieve form a contracted breeders, thats what i was told. by the way is it hard to get a permit to sell reptiles?? where can i get some info on how to apply for a permit?

i dont know how to multi quote so i did my best to quote what i was talking about.

These are the babies that you tried to sell at 5 days old, yes?

If you have their best interest in mind, why not give them to an experienced keeper instead of selling them to make a buck? There are plenty of people who would take these guys off your hands that won't send them to a pet store.

yes they are. i did not know i they arnt suppost to be shipped untill they are atleast 3 months or sold. untill after i posted that for sell thread dekscrub told me i shouldnt sell them, but my dad still wants to sell them and wont change his mind. i have already told him what i was told on this forum but says he doesnt care he still wants to sell them so out of my hands now, all i am incharge of now is to work out a price to sell them this week end. my dad wont be interested in giving them away, the reason why he wants to get rid of em is because he want to make some money back from what he has spent for his chams. i am not employed so i cant say i will care for them.

They can be shipped very carefully, hence why it would be a good idea to give them to someone who can care for them. You can probably work out a deal where they can sell them for you and split a profit.

Back
Top Bottom