Selling wild chams / horrible pet store / basically destruction to wild chameleons

Jojoscosmo

So if you saw my previous threads on general health , I found out my baby cosmo was sick , she was a wild one and was caught and sold to me. I didn’t know this untill a few weeks in and she got very sick and inactive.
The pet store had only one and I was thankful cuz then no other child or so would buy and not care for the baby when they got sick but guess the f what ?!?! the pet store got another one today and I’m furious. They are sold for very cheap and the store has the cage open for any child to stick their grabby hands in and annoy the baby. I feel bad for it and I would buy it but that will just encourage the store to get more. Knowing if anyone buys them they might not survive hurts me.
I feel horrible someone help me with my feelings :,(((

This is always an awful situation. Here in the US, we have pet stores that sell baby reptiles that have been bred in awful conditions and are usually sick. The only thing I can tell you to do is speak to the people at the store and tell them your story. Be respectful and pleasant as you speak to them, but factual. Speak to the store manager or owner if you can. Chameleons are delicate creatures and if this one wasn’t sick before, it will quickly become sick with being so available for people and children to touch. It is their reputation in the community that will suffer if they sell a sickly chameleon that dies shortly after being sold. Tell them of your experience and all that you’ve learned about just how fragile chameleons are. Most stores want people to have good experiences with them and spread good words of them to others.
Aside from that, I do very much empathize with you. Sadly in our world there are too many who exploit animals for profit with little regard for the animals. We do what we can to make changes.

Where are you from? I read other posts and right away can tell it was not a veiled. So we have to do baby steps to figure out things. (y)
We are here:)(y) to help.
Wild caught can be okay if treated properly. Never purchase without seeing it eat. Step one.
I am going through a change of thinking with new bloodlines needed to keep health stock.
But don't approve of wild collecting these days. I was glad 30 years ago. (y)

Last edited:
You can also reach out to your local spca or wildlife perserve explain the situation of abuse and ask them to educate the seller.

Is cosmo alive? I wanted to tell you that turning black in sun is natural and lets them absorb better. Also be careful on too much direct sun as they do get sunburned always have a shade area available for them to escspe too. Young ones need small crickets -10-15 a day and bsfl are great too. Wild chams tend to have a parasite load that should be addressed from the beginning. The stress of being caught, etc.. Will impeede their system not to fight it naturally and it can kill them. i do not suggest a new owner starting off with a wild caught cham. Also roaming the house is dangerous. There r so many things that can hurt them or collapse on them while they are climbing around. A cham climbed up into a heater to get warm and got stuck next to the pilot light and got severly burned.

So if you saw my previous threads on general health , I found out my baby cosmo was sick , she was a wild one and was caught and sold to me. I didn’t know this untill a few weeks in and she got very sick and inactive.
The pet store had only one and I was thankful cuz then no other child or so would buy and not care for the baby when they got sick but guess the f what ?!?! the pet store got another one today and I’m furious. They are sold for very cheap and the store has the cage open for any child to stick their grabby hands in and annoy the baby. I feel bad for it and I would buy it but that will just encourage the store to get more. Knowing if anyone buys them they might not survive hurts me.
I feel horrible someone help me with my feelings :,(((
Hey babes , this is what I meant . He has 3 chams with horrible health in a tiny bird cage. It’s awful.

Attachments

• IMG_2411.jpeg
    IMG_2411.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom