what would happen ,,,,,,,

lcsphx

i a 10x10x12 ft. enclosure would it be okay to house 2 panthers male and female and 2 vields also male and female all together with plenty plentty vines and plants as well as several uvb bulbs and basking space ?would this be oaky? why? or why not? please let me know, also could extend a few extra feet if neccessary, oh yah, and all are cup fed, though they are capable and willing to hunt too.

i a 10x10x12 ft. enclosure would it be okay to house 2 panthers male and female and 2 vields also male and female all together with plenty plentty vines and plants as well as several uvb bulbs and basking space ?would this be oaky? why? or why not? please let me know, also could extend a few extra feet if neccessary, oh yah, and all are cup fed, though they are capable and willing to hunt too.

I would NOT do this at all. Set up one species, possibly a male to 2 female group at most. However, remember that your females will be constantly pestered and stressed by the male wanting to breed regardless if they are in condition or not. They will need to have some area they can retreat to and be out of sight of the male. Sometimes a dominant female rules the entire area though. As females refuse the male or compete with each other for the best basking, drinking, hiding, or sleeping perches as well as the favorite foods, it will all add stress to their lives because they cannot really escape each other entirely. That cage size isn't really very large compared to a cham's territory of an entire tree or large shrub (just to put into perspective).

Putting two different fairly aggressively territorial species in the same setup is asking for real trouble. The males may posture and display constantly which will exhaust them and eventually one or the other will give up. Cup feeding or not won't really change that. Just the visual presence in each other's territory is the problem.

Last edited:
thanks for your veiws on that,

thanks for your views on that, It was just a question that came up upon a conversation with a friend.., i knew the main answers, but ,what was really in question, was how populated is their natural habitat, surely there is most liky more than just one in a tree or pass by their own species numerous times daily?? idk, maybe i am wrong , but thought it was a valid question would informative to others.

Yes, they most likely do pass by each other in more densely populated areas of their native environment. But the difference is that they can chose to leave that area and get completely away from each other, whereas in the enclosure setup that is not an option. Even in large enclosures. What you're proposing is a good size but still nowhere near what just one chameleon would have in the wild. Think about a full size rainforest tree. Heck of a lot bigger than 10x10x12. And from videos of chameleon natural habitat they're usually not found more than 2 or maybe 3 per tree for the most part. And the biggest difference is they can move on and get away from each other at will.

Back
Top Bottom