What Varied Feeders Do You Feed Your Cham ?

sageyurisic

I recently purchesed dubai roaches and super worms. her main diet has been crickets dusted without d3 every day and with d3 and multivitamin alternating every thursday. was just wondering what other cham owners do everyday when feeding w variety feeders. how many crickets, dubai roaches, or super worms and when or if it even matters ? also do i dust supers ? she is about 5-6 months got her from a pet store so not quite sure. every morning i give her around 10-15 crickets and a few dubais (whatever falls of the egg carton when i shake it im scared of them) which is usually 3-5. been giving her dubais for 3 days now. how should i balance her feeders, like how many of each to feed every day/ daily ?

I recently purchesed dubai roaches and super worms. her main diet has been crickets dusted without d3 every day and with d3 and multivitamin alternating every thursday. was just wondering what other cham owners do everyday when feeding w variety feeders. how many crickets, dubai roaches, or super worms and when or if it even matters ? also do i dust supers ? she is about 5-6 months got her from a pet store so not quite sure. every morning i give her around 10-15 crickets and a few dubais (whatever falls of the egg carton when i shake it im scared of them) which is usually 3-5. been giving her dubais for 3 days now. how should i balance her feeders, like how many of each to feed every day/ daily ?
dubias are a good staple. Only feed supers 1-2 a week or your cham will have the physique of a blue tongue skink.

With her being a female... I am guessing your talking about a veiled???

As she matures you will have to start cutting back her food. By about 6 months she should be getting about 5-8 small feeders each day. At about 7 months you want to slowly reduce by cutting down feeders so that she is on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3-4 feeders. You want them to be on this schedule by the time they are 10 months old.
You will not want basking to be over 80 for her. Very important for females because as she ages she needs this temp no higher at basking to help control the amount of eggs she produces.

I personally do not feed supers. I hate them. But I also dropped a container of them and they stalked me for weeks. But also chams can get hooked on them and since they are fatty and do not gutload well they are not the best. So they are a treat 1- 2. Really should only be about 10-20 percent of what you feed. Dubia are more meaty feeder compared to crickets.

This thread will give you good examples. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/well-balanced-meals.176641/

Last edited:
With her being a female... I am guessing your talking about a veiled???

As she matures you will have to start cutting back her food. By about 6 months she should be getting about 5-8 small feeders each day. At about 7 months you want to slowly reduce by cutting down feeders so that she is on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3-4 feeders. You want them to be on this schedule by the time they are 10 months old.
You will not want basking to be over 80 for her. Very important for females because as she ages she needs this temp no higher at basking to help control the amount of eggs she produces.

I personally do not feed supers. I hate them. But I also dropped a container of them and they stalked me for weeks. But also chams can get hooked on them and since they are fatty and do not gutload well they are not the best. So they are a treat 1- 2. Really should only be about 10-20 percent of what you feed. Dubia are more meaty feeder compared to crickets.

This thread will give you good examples. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/well-balanced-meals.176641/
her basking temp is at 84 right now. i have a eco smart 100w incandescent in there now. i also purched 60w incase 100w was too hot,,, shld i try that one for her basking spot instead of the 100 ?

her basking temp is at 84 right now. i have a eco smart 100w incandescent in there now. i also purched 60w incase 100w was too hot,,, shld i try that one for her basking spot instead of the 100 ?
Are you measuring with a wired probe? I would drop her back to 80. Heat and feeder amount play into how many eggs her body produce. You want small clutches. It is way easier on them and they have longer healthier lives.

Are you measuring with a wired probe? I would drop her back to 80. Heat and feeder amount play into how many eggs her body produce. You want small clutches. It is way easier on them and they have longer healthier lives.
i measure with a temp gun. there is a hammock where her basking spot is i can always lower it it is connected to the screen with zip ties. so i shld not be feeding her large crickets ?? i always buy large but most of them come quite small a few large and she always eats the larger first.

I feed mine dubias, silkworms, locusts, BSFL and sometimes waxworms and fruit beetle grubs. None of them fly because my chams spend half the day free ranging so I rarely get anything that flies. I usually feed off the waxworms and BSFL before they turn into moths/flies.

i measure with a temp gun. there is a hammock where her basking spot is i can always lower it it is connected to the screen with zip ties. so i shld not be feeding her large crickets ?? i always buy large but most of them come quite small a few large and she always eats the larger first.
You will want to get a wired temp gauge and put the probe at the basking level to get an accurate temp. If it is 80 at the branch then it will be warmer where she rises into it. So aim for 78-79 at branch.

Hammocks should not really be used for a chameleon. They should have branches for their grip to remain strong. Also the hammocks they can get their nails caught in.

Food size is more focused for females if your feeding larger feeders then the amounts need to be lowered. This because a problem because the cham gets less diversity in their diet.

There are lots of other bugs that do not fly. :)

You will want to get a wired temp gauge and put the probe at the basking level to get an accurate temp. If it is 80 at the branch then it will be warmer where she rises into it. So aim for 78-79 at branch.

Hammocks should not really be used for a chameleon. They should have branches for their grip to remain strong. Also the hammocks they can get their nails caught in.

Food size is more focused for females if your feeding larger feeders then the amounts need to be lowered. This because a problem because the cham gets less diversity in their diet.

There are lots of other bugs that do not fly. :)
i also have a wired temp gauge just dont have it set up. it came w the cage. i will put that at her basking spot. and the hammock is a reptile hammock its like sticks twisted around eachother into a hammock like shape. she loves it and i havnt had a problem with it so far :/ thankyou !!! so i shld only be feeding super worms 1-2 a week ?

I feed mine dubias, silkworms, locusts, BSFL and sometimes waxworms and fruit beetle grubs. None of them fly because my chams spend half the day free ranging so I rarely get anything that flies. I usually feed off the waxworms and BSFL before they turn into moths/flies.
i purchased BSFL and they came dead on arrival :( was gonna order them from a dif breeder i think its too hot for them during shipping.

I do discoids and crickets, he doesn't want superworms, I tried, hope my girl will take them, when she grow up.
my cham wldnt eat her supers in her feeder cup when i first got them but when i used tongs and she saw them throwin themselves around she instantly starts going for them now,, if that wld be of any help :)

Tongs can be dangerous be careful... If she hits the tongs and you pull back you can damage her tongue. It has happened before to the point of a cham needing a tongue amputated.
oh jeez i didnt know that !! they are plastic tongs very cheap and i dont hold the bug tight at all theyre so cheap they dont even rlly grab onto the bug all that well the bugs are hard to get ahold of they honestly suck?? but i will use that info for the future thankyou !!

Tongs can be dangerous be careful... If she hits the tongs and you pull back you can damage her tongue. It has happened before to the point of a cham needing a tongue amputated.
also i received my refund of the bsfl and they came alive !!! was wondering how many i shld feed her shes ab 5-6 months like i said i got her from a pet store ik bad choice but i wanted to save her LOL

also i received my refund of the bsfl and they came alive !!! was wondering how many i shld feed her shes ab 5-6 months like i said i got her from a pet store ik bad choice but i wanted to save her LOL
It is about the total number of feeders and feeding her a diverse diet. So depending on what all your feeding you would add these in.

It is about the total number of feeders and feeding her a diverse diet. So depending on what all your feeding you would add these in.
i feed her crickets around 7-10 daily,, i am starting to feed her less crickets im also give her 3 super worms once or twice a week and giving less crickets when feeding the supers. i gave her 9 crickets and 5 bsfl yesterday morning. crickets are dusted with calcium no d3, with d3 and multivitamin alternating every thursday. also shld i lightly dust supers ?

my cham wldnt eat her supers in her feeder cup when i first got them but when i used tongs and she saw them throwin themselves around she instantly starts going for them now,, if that wld be of any help :)
I tried feeders, cup, free range, just to find them hang on top of the cage and he never touched them.

Back
Top Bottom