What type of enclosure would you recommend for me?

Does anyone have recommendations on good thermometer/hygrometers? I bought one that was perfect at home depot but.....it didn't agree with the water from the misters lol! Doesn't have to be fancy
This is another case of where wired probes are advantageous—the main unit can stay outside the enclosure (and mist).
I use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y6CYVT9/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Inexpensive, LARGE numbers for both temp & RH, and I just compare them against each other or house instruments for accuracy.

Can't help much on that one. Warranty is 30 days/3 years, and it has an even larger footprint than the Sansi .

Product Dimensions11.6 x 10.8 x 2.2 inches

Sansi coupons
I noticed that today actually, so that's off the table because it's huge lol! I'll just go with the Sansi!

This is another case of where wired probes are advantageous—the main unit can stay outside the enclosure (and mist).
I use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y6CYVT9/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Inexpensive, LARGE numbers for both temp & RH, and I just compare them against each other or house instruments for accuracy.

Awesome! Thank you so much for all your help on this thread!! :)

Not a bad idea!! The only problem is that then I would have to find a way to hook them up to power, since those are just the bulbs. I'll have to look around, but it does seem that the original sansi might be the best and most cost effective option I've got
I wouldn't disagree. We have quite a few different Sansi lights around, including the floods and 70W (and others). We have all the floods in clamp fixtures—very versatile, easy to aim, and inexpensive.
1642442296551.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't disagree. We have quite a few different Sansi lights around, including the floods and 70W (and others). We have all the floods in clamp fixtures—very versatile and easy to aim.

Oh that's a GREAT idea to use clamp fixtures!! I actually just bought the 70w Sansi and was able to save $6 thanks to you for the coupons. I should be able to fit it, but I also might take a look around in the future for something like a C stand that I can hook it up to, that way it's off the screen but still providing light

Oh that's a GREAT idea to use clamp fixtures!!
In a few cases, where space is really tight, you can remove the dome and just utilize the socket. Flood lights usually have an integral reflector anyway.

I actually just bought the 70w Sansi and was able to save $6 thanks to you for the coupons. I should be able to fit it, but I also might take a look around in the future for something like a C stand that I can hook it up to, that way it's off the screen but still providing light
There are many ways. Some put the 70W directly on the top screen, but depending on the screen, that may warp in time. C stand is fine; you may be able to hang it from its handle. I mounted mine onto a frame that sits on top of the enclosure frame (but not the screen).
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/simple-uvb-fixture-supports.177896/#post-1692470

@Klyde O'Scope just wanted to say that my sansi light came in and it is PERFECT! I can’t believe I almost passed on it because it looked too big, it fits extremely well in my setup and the light is nice and soft, much better than the other one. Thank you so much!
Arnold Schwarzenegger No Prob GIF

Glad it's going to work for you. :)

Love this! This is actually something I’d like to do eventually but it requires a bit more handiness than I have at the moment haha
I'm not terribly handy myself, so I get that. The more you attempt, the more confidence you'll build.

@Klyde O'Scope Hey! I’m tagging you because I know you’re familiar with these lights but anyone else who is please feel free to chime in!

So these lights are awesome but holy crap are they BRIGHT! My cham likes to use it as a basking light but it’s so bright that when he’s angled towards it he has to squint his eye. I’m worried that it could bother him or cause eye damage. Do you have any suggestions on how I can maybe diffuse or soften the light? Should I just raise it off his enclosure a little?

@Klyde O'Scope Hey! I’m tagging you because I know you’re familiar with these lights but anyone else who is please feel free to chime in!

So these lights are awesome but holy crap are they BRIGHT! My cham likes to use it as a basking light but it’s so bright that when he’s angled towards it he has to squint his eye. I’m worried that it could bother him or cause eye damage. Do you have any suggestions on how I can maybe diffuse or soften the light? Should I just raise it off his enclosure a little?
Maybe I've already mentioned this... Chameleons will usually try to bask under the brightest light they see rather than the warmest. I've run into it personally.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/simple-uvb-fixture-supports.177896/#post-1692470

I've been running 2 of the 70W Sansi lights for as long as I've had my cham (a little over a year). He's ceiling-climbed and tried to bask right under them. Never had a problem. They're bright, yes, but they can't compare with what they bask under in the wild. 🌞

Some keepers (generally free-rangers) use mercury vapor lights, which can also be brighter than the Sansi.

The solution for basking is easy enough; angle the basking light to shine on a spot directly below the plant light. This is where the aimable clamp light comes in.

1643773040381.png

I would think diffusing/softening would defeat the purpose.

Bottom line—enough folks here use the Sansis (I'm sure not the first) that if there were any problems with chameleon eyes/vision, I think we'd have heard something about it by now.

Maybe I've already mentioned this... Chameleons will usually try to bask under the brightest light they see rather than the warmest. I've run into it personally.

I've been running 2 of the 70W Sansi lights for as long as I've had my cham (a little over a year). He's ceiling-climbed and tried to bask right under them. Never had a problem. They're bright, yes, but they can't compare with what they bask under in the wild. 🌞

Some keepers (generally free-rangers) use mercury vapor lights, which can also be brighter than the Sansi.

The solution for basking is easy enough; angle the basking light to shine on a spot directly below the plant light. This is where the aimable clamp light comes in.

I would think diffusing/softening would defeat the purpose.

Bottom line—enough folks here use the Sansis (I'm sure not the first) that if there were any problems with chameleon eyes/vision, I think we'd have heard something about it by now.
Oh this is great to know! I just wasn’t sure if it was cause for concern, but I’m glad you cleared that up. I will definitely do that with the basking spot, thanks a lot :)

Back
Top Bottom