0726191113.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 125
  • 0726191112a.jpg
    0726191112a.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 0726191113a.jpg
    0726191113a.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 125
Ok, so yes, it is a velvet mite. Eating the termites that have come with the rains. They say they are harmless little fellas, and beautiful, but I dont want em!!!! I found it in my BATHROOM! Luckily, not in my chams viv. Thanks for the replys.

Ok, so yes, it is a velvet mite. Eating the termites that have come with the rains. They say they are harmless little fellas, and beautiful, but I dont want em!!!! I found it in my BATHROOM! Luckily, not in my chams viv. Thanks for the replys.

I wouldn't want them running around in my house either, and certainly don't blame you for getting rid of it, but good for you for being able to see the beauty in this little creature. That was refreshing to read!

@Zevil I feel like sometimes you're one of the only people that speak any sense in these threads. You'd think people that proclaim to love chameleons and everything that goes with them would be more open minded.

I can see killing a pest, or not wanting something inside, but then just put it outside?

I'm not trying to argue, it's one time and not a huge deal. This kind of thinking among people just gets frustrating at times. We're supposed to be a community of reptile enthusiasts(which come with plants, bugs, etc), yet a lot of the time I just see 'EW KILL IT'. The people speaking sense and trying to teach are often being drowned out on this site. I get it, chameleons are cute and bring in a whole different type of keeper, but please be respectful to the people trying to educate here. Saying, "but I didn't" in response to a rational comment is pretty childish and passive aggressive. I'm sure I'll get the same, but i could care less.

@Zevil I feel like sometimes you're one of the only people that speak any sense in these threads. You'd think people that proclaim to love chameleons and everything that goes with them would be more open minded.

I can see killing a pest, or not wanting something inside, but then just put it outside?

I'm not trying to argue, it's one time and not a huge deal. This kind of thinking among people just gets frustrating at times. We're supposed to be a community of reptile enthusiasts(which come with plants, bugs, etc), yet a lot of the time I just see 'EW KILL IT'. The people speaking sense and trying to teach are often being drowned out on this site. I get it, chameleons are cute and bring in a whole different type of keeper, but please be respectful to the people trying to educate here. Saying, "but I didn't" in response to a rational comment is pretty childish and passive aggressive. I'm sure I'll get the same, but i could care less.

Spiders and bugs are my first interaction with nature. I always spare them and move them out of my house if I see one. I believe all life are to be treated with respect, the basic thing to do is not to kill unnecessarily especially for harmless animals. I try to educate people whenever possible on animals with underserved bad reputation.

I am all about catching and releasing bigger insects that get into the house. Caught a daddy long leg the other night and a moth last week that flew in. I just don't like tiny things... As you know @jamest0o0 bit of a phobia I have with micro bugs.

We get clover mites here... They are tiny and red. Harmless to us but a pest mite. They get into the house and crawl on the walls via the open windows. My daughter even had one crawl onto her plate from the kitchen table last month while we were eating dinner. These ick me out they do die by my hand. But other things I am pretty good about catch and release. In AZ it is common to get things like scorpions and tarantulas in your home. I had both and caught both and released them.

I am all about catching and releasing bigger insects that get into the house. Caught a daddy long leg the other night and a moth last week that flew in. I just don't like tiny things... As you know @jamest0o0 bit of a phobia I have with micro bugs.

We get clover mites here... They are tiny and red. Harmless to us but a pest mite. They get into the house and crawl on the walls via the open windows. My daughter even had one crawl onto her plate from the kitchen table last month while we were eating dinner. These ick me out they do die by my hand. But other things I am pretty good about catch and release. In AZ it is common to get things like scorpions and tarantulas in your home. I had both and caught both and released them.

Honestly I don't blame someone at all for killing a random bug at times. I prefer to release, but it happens when you get scared or surprised and instinctively kill something. TBH I am freaked out by worm-types, from maggots to supers and everything in between. I will touch a giant roach, but still use tweezers for supers or hornworms... if one caught me off guard I might kill it lol. I just like to save what I can, especially beneficial insects/arachnids when there seems to be such an overabundance of pests.

I deal with Black widows, Scorpions, centipede, brown recluse spider, Hawk Wasp on the daily..... I love Every Single Living thing and try my hardest not to kill anything. It doesn’t always happen, but I still Try. That being said, to each their own. Also, getting bit by a centipede is no fun. I rather get bit by a black widow x100 than a centipede.

Back
Top Bottom