what to do with large hornworms?

lisagr07

Avid Member
i got a pod of hornworms the other day and have been feeding one a day to Stanley. he had no trouble with the smaller ones but now the smallest ones are so big i thought he was going to choke trying to get it down.. and the BIG ones are GINORMOUS!!!!! probably as big around as my litttle finger and just as long!!!
there's no way he can get them down, they would beat him all about his head with the end that wasn't in his mouth!!!! :eek:

what can i do with the monsters? will they turn into moths and then let him eat them or will they be too big also?

thanks,, lisa

Yes, you can keep them in their cup and they will go into the pupae stage and then turn into a large moth, which can be fed. My melleri LOVE the moths.

When you see that the hornworms are going to get too big, take them out of their cup and put them in a different container with no food and they will stay that size until they are fed off. Keep in mind, also, that the warmer the temps are, the faster they will grow, too.

Yes, you can keep them in their cup and they will go into the pupae stage and then turn into a large moth, which can be fed. My melleri LOVE the moths.

When you see that the hornworms are going to get too big, take them out of their cup and put them in a different container with no food and they will stay that size until they are fed off. Keep in mind, also, that the warmer the temps are, the faster they will grow, too.

^^What she said:D

i'm going to look and see if any are still small enough for him to eat, he's only 4 months old..
i think i read somewhere someone put them in the frig to slow their growth..
the ones that i know are too big i'm going to let turn into moths and put them in his cage... see if he enjoys hunting them!!!

thanks,, lisa

if you can

try feeding the hornworms mulberry leaves
it makes them grow a lot slower

thanks Cristian, but i think that it's too late for this pod. they are already soo large, i had heard that they grow fast, but i had no idea just how fast, i just got them three days ago...
next time i'm going to take the food out that they come with and just go from there. if i can find mulberry leaves i'll definitly give that a try.. :)

I just leave them in the cup they came in (no food) and they will turn themselves into the pupae. Um, if the little guy is only 4 months old, I would not give him the moth. The moth will be bigger than the cham. ;)

I just leave them in the cup they came in (no food) and they will turn themselves into the pupae. Um, if the little guy is only 4 months old, I would not give him the moth. The moth will be bigger than the cham. ;)

I was wondering how big the moths would be... Guess I'll just pass the larger worms on to a guy I know that has a year old male, maybe he can handle them.... :)

I was wondering how big the moths would be... Guess I'll just pass the larger worms on to a guy I know that has a year old male, maybe he can handle them.... :)

Well, looking at a ruler (and without having a moth to measure - but some are in their pupae right now), I'd say about 3 inches or so. Most times before feeding them off, I try to take their wings off just as a precautionary measure.

Back
Top Bottom