What the %^&* is that?!?!

seanUTD

So I was checking in on my woodlice colony (rollie pollies for the girls lol ) and I noticed a VERY VERY small worm like thing moving around on the card board... Not moving like any other thing more like.. writhing... modulating itself and contorting into a gross curly-Q... It was white with no visible head, tail, or any recognizable feature and it was about as small as tip of pencil lead and as thin as a needle... Anybody have any IDEA what this creepy ass thing is (pardon the french)... And if you do has my entire woodlice operation been compromised??

Update: I believe it to be a horsehair worm which IS a parasite but not one dangerous to plants, animals, or humans... Only the bugs it infects and I did find a rollie pollie that looked burst forth... Giving me the impression my theory is correct

rollie pollies for the girls?

The isopods give birth from a brood pouch on their bellies. It can look like they have exploded.

They are probably just harmless nematodes that get into cultures. They can be popular among the fresh water fish hobby.

rollie pollies for the girls?

The isopods give birth from a brood pouch on their bellies. It can look like they have exploded.

They are probably just harmless nematodes that get into cultures. They can be popular among the fresh water fish hobby.

The louse was blown out through the head... and laying next to it was the "thing" and yea its what my fiance calls them and my sister

It probably died and the others started to eat it. They eat decaying matter, so eating a dead brother would be no biggie.

I didn't think pollies were good for feeding? I can't remember where on the forums I read it, but I thought it was here. Are they a good food source?

I think they're considered good if they haven't been taken from the wild where they likely got exposed to poisons (insect repellents/killers and weed killers). So, if they are bred, the babies are good.

Back
Top Bottom