What species is Rainbow?

Ulrich

We used to keep Veiled Chams for the past few years. Shortly after Greeny died, I passed by a shop and this beautiful and active male Furcifer Pardalis saw me and jumped at me and scratched the glass enclosure. I had no choice but to get him (proved me right as his replacement in the shop was hanging in the ropes a week later). Now the only problem was: The shop keeper only spoke Chinese. So I don't know what species he is. He looks like ambilobe/ambanja cross.

He hates the camera lense (but does not react to the mirror at all). But when he is calm, he is lots of red at the head and lots of blue at the rear. Yellow mouth and generally green. Along his white central line there is a lot of turquoise.

He is a super sweet guy and very people friendly, eats and drinks a lot and is very active. Only nasty habit is he likes to climb out of the cage onto us and poos when he is with us.

I suspect him to be 6-8 months of age.

Any idea of his locale?

Attachments

• Rainbow2.jpg
    Rainbow2.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 246
  • Rainbow1.jpg
    Rainbow1.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 220
On the first picture he looks like a very nice ambanja. but without the breeder actually letting you know his lineage you will never know for sure.

Thanks. More of Ambanja was my guess too. But the heavy red at the head and at the first two bars, yet blue bars at the rear is a bit irritating. Anyways he is very beautiful. Bastard or not. We love him. Were just hoping to find out in order to get the right girl once he is bigger.

Thanks. More of Ambanja was my guess too. But the heavy red at the head and at the first two bars, yet blue bars at the rear is a bit irritating. Anyways he is very beautiful. Bastard or not. We love him. Were just hoping to find out in order to get the right girl once he is bigger.

You can never be sure so i think breeding him would be no no. If you want to breed, get something you know is pure.

You can never be sure so i think breeding him would be no no. If you want to breed, get something you know is pure.

Thanks for the firm answer. I agree that if you want to breed, you should know the origin. In our case it is a pity. At least we saved one from the shops. Here in Hong Kong, the pet industry is one of the most careless. I have to pass by the main selling area to get the feeder prey twice a week and it hurts how they treat the pets.

Im suprised they didnt eat it! lol. Hes a very pretty cham, just enjoy him as a pet and save the breeding for another day when you have some pure locales to work with. I hear that Madigascar might be stopping importing meaning no more pures coming in, hence the need to keep the lines pure now or we wont see them anymore.

He looks better than 75%ambanja to me. I love his tail! If you have a telephoto lense you can try taking a close up picture from across the room.This method works well with out stressing the chameleon.

We used to keep Veiled Chams for the past few years. Shortly after Greeny died, I passed by a shop and this beautiful and active male Furcifer Pardalis saw me and jumped at me and scratched the glass enclosure. I had no choice but to get him (proved me right as his replacement in the shop was hanging in the ropes a week later). Now the only problem was: The shop keeper only spoke Chinese. So I don't know what species he is. He looks like ambilobe/ambanja cross.

He hates the camera lense (but does not react to the mirror at all). But when he is calm, he is lots of red at the head and lots of blue at the rear. Yellow mouth and generally green. Along his white central line there is a lot of turquoise.

He is a super sweet guy and very people friendly, eats and drinks a lot and is very active. Only nasty habit is he likes to climb out of the cage onto us and poos when he is with us.

I suspect him to be 6-8 months of age.

Any idea of his species?

The chameleon pictured is of the Furcifer pardalis species.:)

As to the title of this thread, I believe the Diego Suarez was or is known as the Rainbow cham.;)

Yes, should be locale. Sorry for the mistake. Seems the direction is going for Ambanja....great. This morning he came out of his cage - as usual - for his morning poo, sitting on our hand. Really a weird cham.

I don't think he is wild caught. He is way to friendly with humans and has no problem settling in his cage. In Hong Kong they usually sell wild caught as full size adults.

Yes, should be locale. Sorry for the mistake. Seems the direction is going for Ambanja....great. This morning he came out of his cage - as usual - for his morning poo, sitting on our hand. Really a weird cham.

I don't think he is wild caught. He is way to friendly with humans and has no problem settling in his cage. In Hong Kong they usually sell wild caught as full size adults.

LOL, I am just kidding :eek:

I knew what you meant ;)

Sorry if it came off as being a smart @$$:eek:

Of course. Understand. Sometimes I am just missing the right words...

Tried to capture his beautiful turquoise bars. But whenever I come close with the phone camera, he gets stressed out. I think I need to take some pictures with a long lens soon.

The slightly blur photo shows his turquoise bars better (taken just when he discovered the camera). They are very strong when he is calm.

Attachments

• Rainbow 4.jpg
    Rainbow 4.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 119
  • Rainbow 3.jpg
    Rainbow 3.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 112
Thanks all for the useful comments. Maybe have to wait 2-4 more months until he reaches adult size. Maybe classification is easier when he is in full bloom.

If you insist on classifying him, then the only option i see is Ambanja even though i think hes probably a cross. He looks like a very beautiful Ambanja more than any other local.

If you insist on classifying him, then the only option i see is Ambanja even though i think hes probably a cross. He looks like a very beautiful Ambanja more than any other local.

For what it is worth, Ill agree that he looks very ambanja-esque, but not full ambanja. He doesnt look like anything specific to me either.

To answer your question rainbow is just another made up name someone thought of to sell ambilobies like mafana, oorana mena, I even heard diamond in the past. So rainbow is an ambilobe that is all. As far as your chameleon I think it's a cross. Oh colorful by the way, being responsable with the color comment dont want to upset anyone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom