What species don't need uvb?

We have better caresheets for a Jackson's here on the forum. Use this one instead.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/

There are also a lot of resources that you need to learn in depth in that same area of the forum. Jackson's can be sensitive chameleons and are more difficult to care for than Yemen or Panthers.

Jackson's are also often wild caught, which you want to avoid. Hold out for a captive bred 6-month old male Jackson's. Wild and too young is asking for expensive issues.
Thanks for the advise. I have my eye on one for £60 and it looks like it's a male as it has 3 horns

Thanks for the advise. I have my eye on one for £60 and it looks like it's a male as it has 3 horns

That is a Wild Caught bet on it, the price is too low to be CB IMO. But I do not live in Europe, so IDK but check for sure if it is CB or WC.

That is a Wild Caught bet on it, the price is too low to be CB IMO. But I do not live in Europe, so IDK but check for sure if it is CB or WC.
I payed 75€ for mine from a Belgian breeder so it's CB...
75€ is around 62£ I think.(since Brexit).

mine was still young when I bought him.

It looks exactly like the one on your profile picture
Yea, then the price is about right. Adults go for 125€-ish...

Where do you want to keep it?
It will require a big temperature drop during the night times so keeping it in your bedroom will probably not be comfortable to you and for any other reptile that you have there..
I have my Jacksonii in a separate room with the balcony door of that room open until I go to bed and if the temp is not what I want it to be I put icepacks on and in his cage to drop the temp further. I also run a coolmyst humidifier against the icepacks for a couple of hours and have a fan blowing in the room and one on the vent to blow cold air in from outside...
It's alot of work and dedication which is easily solved by purchasing an AC... I know I will for next summer...

Yea, then the price is about right. Adults go for 125€-ish...

Where do you want to keep it?
It will require a big temperature drop during the night times so keeping it in your bedroom will probably not be comfortable to you and for any other reptile that you have there..
I have my Jacksonii in a separate room with the balcony door of that room open until I go to bed and if the temp is not what I want it to be I put icepacks on and in his cage to drop the temp further. I also run a coolmyst humidifier against the icepacks for a couple of hours and have a fan blowing in the room and one on the vent to blow cold air in from outside...
It's alot of work and dedication which is easily solved by purchasing an AC... I know I will for next summer...
Where do you live though because I live in the uk so it is quite cold at night anyway

My house is around 15-20C at night so if it gets to warm I'll just open my window or put a fan on
I guess my house is pretty well isolated since it never drops below 19C ...
If you can keep a window open during the night that's great. If it's a nice summer you can also keep him outside during that time.

I guess my house is pretty well isolated since it never drops below 19C ...
If you can keep a window open during the night that's great. If it's a nice summer you can also keep him outside during that time.
We don't usually get nice summers :D

This year it's totally crap here too...
Not warm enough during the day to put him outside but still difficult to cool the room in the evening because a lack of wind.

I will move my Jacksonii to a new cage this week that I can just move to the balcony in the evenings and move back inside in the mornings so he can have it's colder temperature drops and still remain in his own 'comfort zone'...
For next year I will buy that AC even if I will just need it for a few days/weeks a year.
When I'm on holiday I also wan't to simplify the job for my substitute caretaker as much as I can.

What is a nice summer for you might be much too hot and dry for a Jacksons. They are from the mountains in East Africa. Even though they are from near the equator, they are found high up the mountains where it is very cold and wet. Wet, rainy, cold UK weather sounds like great conditions for a Jackson chameleon. Cold and wet is not a problem for them--hot and dry will kill them.

What is a nice summer for you might be much too hot and dry for a Jacksons. They are from the mountains in East Africa. Even though they are from near the equator, they are found high up the mountains where it is very cold and wet. Wet, rainy, cold UK weather sounds like great conditions for a Jackson chameleon. Cold and wet is not a problem for them--hot and dry will kill them.
Temperatures here are similar to most of the UK I guess and at the moment they stay around 20C (68F) with dips to 17C(62.5F)...
Won't that be a problem if they don't get time to bask due to share/clouds?

I'm not risking it now but would love my little guy to get some time outside.

Temperatures here are similar to most of the UK I guess and at the moment they stay around 20C (68F) with dips to 17C(62.5F)...
Won't that be a problem if they don't get time to bask due to share/clouds?

I'm not risking it now but would love my little guy to get some time outside.

Real sunlight is much better than any light bulb.

They are designed to warm up in sunlight even when the temps are low. They turn dark to absorb the infrared light and warm up. I can only dream of having temps like yours for my montane species!

Real sunlight is much better than any light bulb.

They are designed to warm up in sunlight even when the temps are low. They turn dark to absorb the infrared light and warm up. I can only dream of having temps like yours for my montane species!
cool... Think ill put mine out this friday after work so he can have the afternoon sun and ill let him stay out over the weekend so i can keep a close eye... He should have his new cage ready be then so that'll be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom