What should i use for an egg bin?

I should have figured with your avatar but it is always good to ask;) I keep smaller species now so I do not need such large bins.

When I kept panthers I would give my one breeding female a bin 12x12x12 inches. Fill the bin up with whatever laying substrate you like to about 10 inches. I would use all topsoil for my panther female but no I use 1/3 playsand and 2/3 topsoil. This set up seemed to work for the panther though.

If you notice she does not like the bin (restless, hanging around at the bottom, only digging test holes in the bin etc) you can create a bin out of a trash container. They are roughly 12 inches wide 12 deep and say 3 foot high. Fill the container up to about 12 inches of substrate, put the female in and give her a light source. This basically gives her only a few things to do. Try and escape or keep digging. I have found with some of my smaller species they prefer the substrate to actually be the ground not a container in the enclosure (if you can understand what I am trying to say here:eek:).

I reuse the plant buckets my ficus and schefflera come in from the nursery. They are big enough for them and yet still small enough to fit in a cage. So far they have worked great and they are free. My faly has laid three times in her ratty old plant bucket. I like that its got some pre drilled holes so if the soil gets over watered thru misting it can drain out and dry quicker. ;)

Back
Top Bottom