what should i do?

alejandro2004

well i had my cham in big cage 6'x3'x3' he was doing well in there eating/drinking and had really good colors never saw him dark. but since I changed him to a smaller cage, he have been like dark all the time, the cage hes in now is 25"x25"x50" and has a smaller screen(plastic coated). hes been on the floor and on the screen alot. should i switch him back to the old cage? both cages are very well planted.

well i had my cham in big cage 6'x3'x3' he was doing well in there eating/drinking and had really good colors never saw him dark. but since I changed him to a smaller cage, he have been like dark all the time, the cage hes in now is 25"x25"x50" and has a smaller screen(plastic coated). hes been on the floor and on the screen alot. should i switch him back to the old cage? both cages are very well planted.

It sometimes takes them a while to get used to a new cage. They don't know all the hidng places or that there are no threats so they stress. He'll get over it after a few days. Usually, when I'm going to move a cham, I feed the heck out of it beforehand because I know it will go off feed.

no change him back to his other bigger cage , hes wanting to get out he doesnt feel safe in there thats why hes dark and crawling up the screeen all the time , trust me your just stressing your animal by leaving him in there

Sometimes you have to change cages, 6x3x3 is huge, so I can understand having to switch to a slightly smaller cage. He will get used to it.

I think hell get used to it. I have never made mine smaller, but anytime I move things around hes grumpy for a day or so. Spuds a pig though and never goes off eating so i don't worry about that. *knock on wood*

I had a beautiful cage, bigger and better than the other, but Fractal did the same thing yours is doing. ( for a week or more) So I put him back in the smaller cage and he was good again. Weeks later, I tried to put him in the bigger cage again and he did what yours did again. Something else is unfavorable about that cage to you cham. But maybe try him in it for a week or so to see if he gets used to it. If he does not, get rid of the cage and give him his old one back.
Also... I took his old cage and made it bigger and he's really happy. So maybe it's something to do with a material you used? Is there a way you can make the old cage just a bit smaller? It's all a guessing game as you go sometimes.

he have ben in the new cage for 4 days now hes been on the floor or climbing in the screen almost all day and have been dark all day too. will try one week if he dosnt get used ill switch him back. today he havnt eaten anything

Four days already? .... sounds like he hates the cage. I would just switch him back and get him normalized again. Poor guy. :{

on week could mean that much more stress could get him sick , if i was you i would switch him back he obviously hates it in there , but its your cham its your choice

Hi alejandro - why did you need to change the cage size? As pointed out, sometimes there can be a space issue. Did you set up the new cage as close as possible as the previous ones (same plants, branches, etc)? With both Luna and Cyrus anytime I do the "BIG" cleaning the only thing I might change is the plant is necessary but replace it with similar and the other might be reconfiguring branches for better access. If he is climbing the screen add more branches n the side (Cyrus is screen climber no matter what I do and has torn up his little feet :( )

You have to remember, he was in a nice huge place with more "freedom" which is now cut in half. If he doesn't adjust within a week's time (think you're close to that) I would move him back if you can and set it up as close as possible to how it was before.

I remember someone here or other forum put the old and new cages together with doors open so he could slowly adjust to his new digs.
Good Luck!

lele

i changed him to his old cage this morning now hi have good colors and isnt on the floor. now i have one cage. what could I house in it? should I split in in 2 and house 2 carpets? one in each side.
I wanted the big cage for an oustaleti but i dont think i could use it now...

Well, I guess that tells you he was unhappy. Glad you didn't force the issue as you know the impact stress can have.

As for what to house (carpets) I'll let someone else advise you ;)

lele

Back
Top Bottom