What sex is my chameleon

Zoeb

Hi, I rescued a chameleon from poor owner. I was told that it was 4months and a male but I cant see the bump on the back of its rear legs and am concerned it may be a female as i dont have a lay box.

Can anyone tell me what sex it is from the pictures?

Attachments

• 20181027_105208.jpg
    20181027_105208.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 20181027_105236.jpg
    20181027_105236.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 112
Thanks. I thought so, but i wasnt sure if I was just seeing what I wanted to and end up with an egg bound female as there is some debate over age too. 4 months or or actually older. Previous owner hadnt a clue but ive been told hes big for 4months

Attachments

• 20181026_195849.jpg
    20181026_195849.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 105
Yes and Yes, a lay bin should be a permanent part of her viv. 6 months sounds about right, she maybe a bit more. If you could post a pic of the full viv with her in it it would be easier to tell.

This is he/she just now in the odd occasion i can get near the chams back legs. The other pic is from 3 weeks ago. It does have small bumps which i think may have caused it to be incorrectly sexed when younger but i wouldn't say prominent to call tarsal spurs. Which is why im unsure and thought i would ask as i have no lay box for it being female

Attachments

• 20181027_164428.jpg
    20181027_164428.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 65
This is the work in progress.
I needs a few more branches in i know before anyone tells me, but i dont want to stress it out too much as when i got it i was in a tiny glass viv with a lump of wood, 1 vine and it was full of crickets eatting polystyrene & biting it,so the poor thing was pacing up and down almost jet black & extremely stressed. I add a branch a day when the cham gets fed in the morning so hopefully it doesnt mind branch if it gets a mario worm as compensation

Attachments

• 20181027_165406.jpg
    20181027_165406.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 72
Its a reptiibreeze xl 120 high so ive already got it in an adult cage.t5 strip light ontop. Double dome but only one on with 75 basking bulb temp 33 underneath today. Monsoon system 2×60sec a day 8 hours appart. Big dripper on top. Calcium without d3 3 days arcadia earthpro a without d3 4days and 1 days repashy calcium plus 1 day on gutloaded marios, locust and sum calcis and wax worms thrown in. Wax worms addhoc for good behaviour.

Now what raised my concerns that he may actually be a she appart from expecting a more prominent spur is that over the past 2 days its been quite moody (more so than its usual self). Normally happy to hand feed and comes running to the front to want what ive got, but not happy to be handled after poor past handling-previous owner just put their hand on top when i went to collect pulling it off its only branch while it was hissing(so i respect that its kinda scared of hands) Lately however its been all a bit green and black spotted upon door opening for food in the morning but only with me and not my partner, although it changes its allegiances like the wind as it hated him last week. It may have just been my black jumper I was wearing that it hates, but im wondering if the moods are because it may be female and want to lay and ive only accommodated for a male. Would that be a possibility?

Its a reptiibreeze xl 120 high so ive already got it in an adult cage.t5 strip light ontop. Double dome but only one on with 75 basking bulb temp 33 underneath today. Monsoon system 2×60sec a day 8 hours appart. Big dripper on top. Calcium without d3 3 days arcadia earthpro a without d3 4days and 1 days repashy calcium plus 1 day on gutloaded marios, locust and sum calcis and wax worms thrown in. Wax worms addhoc for good behaviour.
The veiled care sheet here has proper dusting schedules. It should be phosphorous free calcium without D3 every feeding, phosphorous free calcium with D3 twice monthly, and a multivitamin twice monthly. The veiled care sheet here also has pictures of receptive and gravid females, too.

I dont know too much about females but belly looks rather large to me, I'd say get a laybin in there asap.

There will be plenty of info on 'how to' online.

Beautiful cham btw!

This is the work in progress.
I needs a few more branches in i know before anyone tells me, but i dont want to stress it out too much as when i got it i was in a tiny glass viv with a lump of wood, 1 vine and it was full of crickets eatting polystyrene & biting it,so the poor thing was pacing up and down almost jet black & extremely stressed. I add a branch a day when the cham gets fed in the morning so hopefully it doesnt mind branch if it gets a mario worm as compensation
Don’t drag the stress out, just get in there and get it done...

Having a tarsal spur would not be the only way to sex Veiled's, because females can have that tiny looking bump. But I agree with @Brodybreaux25, if she were a male, it would be pretty unmistakable at that age.

Now what raised my concerns that he may actually be a she appart from expecting a more prominent spur is that over the past 2 days its been quite moody (more so than its usual self). Normally happy to hand feed and comes running to the front to want what ive got, but not happy to be handled after poor past handling-previous owner just put their hand on top when i went to collect pulling it off its only branch while it was hissing(so i respect that its kinda scared of hands) Lately however its been all a bit green and black spotted upon door opening for food in the morning but only with me and not my partner, although it changes its allegiances like the wind as it hated him last week. It may have just been my black jumper I was wearing that it hates, but im wondering if the moods are because it may be female and want to lay and ive only accommodated for a male. Would that be a possibility?
It’s possible but kinda irrelevant at this point, just focus on getting her bin in there...

Back
Top Bottom