What other animals have you/do you keep?

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
This has probably been brought up a million times, but it never gets old. I like when we can get to know other members through everyone showing/telling us what kind of critters they keep, or have kept in the past? Anything you guys plan on in the future?

I have had A LOT, but am only several years into keeping chameleons on my own. Currently, I just have 2 cats, YL parsons, 2 kids( boys 14 months and 2 months...), 1 wife, and then a lot of inverts including almost 30 cockroaches some being rare and more sensitive species, phasmids, isopods, katydids, grasshoppers, and flower beetles.

Once space, time, and money allows(hopefully within a year) I plan to get a kenyan blood jacksons xanth and a black and white argentinean tegu. Of course the list doesn't stop there, but those are my next.

Would really like to do a high tech, planted, paludarium display with vampire crabs one day. I'd also like to safely master a sump filtered water feature in a cham enclosure!

Animals, especially unique and out of the ordinary animals, have been my passion and focus since about the time I could crawl.

Would love to hear what anyone here has to add.

Your 1 wife comment :hilarious:

I’ve only kept dogs in the past larry and Imelda are my first reptiles. I would love a oe parsonii one and a tegu when I have the space one day. Got the husband to finally agree on a snake, something for me and my son to enjoy together and hopefully a leopard gecko if thing work out.

Also hoping to get a Service dog soon to help ease my PTSD while in public

Ditto on the 1 wife comment :hilarious:

I have Beman (male Veiled) who is currently going through his, I hate your face phase! I have a 15 year old daughter and my mom lives with us. We have a cat, rat, and a dog. However the dog is my moms and the rat was my daughters. Not sure how the rat became mine. But I don't want it to become snake food and she hates humans. I have a boyfriend.... DUH> AKA the love of my life. :love:

Um I love chams. Beman was my first and I have been on this adventure for almost a year with him come October 27th. I would like to continue to explore different species.. Lately Mellers have really caught my eye. And of course I adore the parsons. I love dogs and I would like to one day get another. I love pits, labs, Weimaraner's, Doxie's, and well anything cute and puppy-ish. lol

Ditto on the 1 wife comment :hilarious:

I have Beman (male Veiled) who is currently going through his, I hate your face phase! I have a 15 year old daughter and my mom lives with us. We have a cat, rat, and a dog. However the dog is my moms and the rat was my daughters. Not sure how the rat became mine. But I don't want it to become snake food and she hates humans. I have a boyfriend.... DUH> AKA the love of my life. :love:

Um I love chams. Beman was my first and I have been on this adventure for almost a year with him come October 27th. I would like to continue to explore different species.. Lately Mellers have really caught my eye. And of course I adore the parsons. I love dogs and I would like to one day get another. I love pits, labs, Weimaraner's, Doxie's, and well anything cute and puppy-ish. lol
@Brodybreaux25 you heard your women make it happen

I've kept quite a few different species of chameleons (Parsons, mellers, veileds, dwarf jacksons, Comoros island dwarfs, Panthers, Mediterranean, verrucosus, etc, etc.) and geckos (Leo's, fat tails, leaf tailed, flying, frog eyed sand geckos, Madagascar ground geckos, etc) as well as turtles/tortoises (3 keeled, 3 toed, hinge backs, etc) and water dragons, beardies, uromastyx (several species) cone heads, helmeted iguanas (2 of the 3 species), iguanas, and a few others. Geesh...I can't believe I had that many!

I have had many different types of animals mostly family pets but I have kept fish, birds, and aquatic frogs. I never owned a reptile but always wanted one so once I could afford it I jumped in and went crazy lol. I got Lennon (male panther) melon (female veiled) , red eyes tree frogs, green anoles, dwarf geckos, I had a carpet Cham nala for a year, Asian forest scorpions, green tree frogs, and my newest is cynthia (female panther).

In the future I would like many different Cham species can’t decide on which ones. Dart frogs, a frilled neck lizard, and some other types of dwarf geckos.

I have had many different types of animals mostly family pets but I have kept fish, birds, and aquatic frogs. I never owned a reptile but always wanted one so once I could afford it I jumped in and went crazy lol. I got Lennon (male panther) melon (female veiled) , red eyes tree frogs, green anoles, dwarf geckos, I had a carpet Cham nala for a year, Asian forest scorpions, green tree frogs, and my newest is cynthia (female panther).

In the future I would like many different Cham species can’t decide on which ones. Dart frogs, a frilled neck lizard, and some other types of dwarf geckos.
Dart frogs are sooooooo cool. They have a bunch of different types at my local mom and pop store.

I have wanted the blue dart frogs (Dendrobates tinctorius azureus) since I was a little kid. I just haven’t gotten them yet cause I want to really take my time to build their setup but I keep doing other projects instead. Maybe someday lol.
They have the little blue and black ones and then little yellow and black ones. OMG they are sooo adorable. They did full bio active build outs with the exo's they have them in. Including tiny waterfalls and little ponds that it flows into. It is adorable. I will try to remember to take pics for you the next time I go in.

They have the little blue and black ones and then little yellow and black ones. OMG they are sooo adorable. They did full bio active build outs with the exo's they have them in. Including tiny waterfalls and little ponds that it flows into. It is adorable. I will try to remember to take pics for you the next time I go in for you.

Awesome. Ya that’s why I want to take my time with it because I see all these amazing dart frog tanks and I’m like how do you do that! Then after watching some videos of someone making them he explained how he sometimes takes months to build them to get everything just how he wants it.

Awesome. Ya that’s why I want to take my time with it because I see all these amazing dart frog tanks and I’m like how do you do that! Then after watching some videos of someone making them he explained how he sometimes takes months to build them to get everything just how he wants it.
I have to go in this week to get RO so I will take pics. :) They have one they just did that they had darts in then they got a green tree python and moved the darts out and the snake in. But the enclosure is amazing!

I got to go in this week to get RO so I will take pics. :) They have one they just did that they had darts in then they got a green tree python and moved the darts out and the snake in. But the enclosure is amazing!

That would be awesome if you could. The store near me doesn’t have any bioactive tanks. The one I sometimes go to like half hour away hired a new guy that’s has been redoing a bunch of their tanks and there looking amazing. They only have one dart frog tank though and they haven’t redone it yet and it looks terrible.

That would be awesome if you could. The store near me doesn’t have any bioactive tanks. The one I sometimes go to like half hour away hired a new guy that’s has been redoing a bunch of their tanks and there looking amazing. They only have one dart frog tank though and they haven’t redone it yet and it looks terrible.
Send me a message now lol so I remember. I have to go in tomorrow because my daughter has a tennis match Saturday. I will take pics they have like 6 running right now.

I currently have one 5 gallon freshwater fish tank, too many tarantulas to count (last I checked I was at 20ish until one female made an egg sack.... Now I have close to 50 spiderlings I'm trying to sell off), 1 leopard gecko going on 14 years old, 2 guinea pigs, 4 dart frogs, and Kyle the Veiled cham.

Had a 10g saltwater reef tank but that system crashed and killed everything thanks to a toxic algae bloom... Probably gonna restart it after my wedding this month.

And the leopard gecko is slowing down... She hasn't had the same appetite as she usually did and is very sluggish so I dont know how much time we will have left with her.

I currently have one 5 gallon freshwater fish tank, too many tarantulas to count (last I checked I was at 20ish until one female made an egg sack.... Now I have close to 50 spiderlings I'm trying to sell off), 1 leopard gecko going on 14 years old, 2 guinea pigs, 4 dart frogs, and Kyle the Veiled cham.

Had a 10g saltwater reef tank but that system crashed and killed everything thanks to a toxic algae bloom... Probably gonna restart it after my wedding this month.

And the leopard gecko is slowing down... She hasn't had the same appetite as she usually did and is very sluggish so I dont know how much time we will have left with her.
Awwwww Keith! Congrats on your upcoming wedding :)

I have turtles! Kilmonger and Tortinelli. Our big yellow belly babies. From babies to now. They’re 1 1/2.

Attachments

• B7C5286A-A64A-49D5-A0FE-C02B7F90181D.jpeg
    B7C5286A-A64A-49D5-A0FE-C02B7F90181D.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 109
  • F014A0B9-99F4-4496-BA77-894D3F10F4FF.jpeg
    F014A0B9-99F4-4496-BA77-894D3F10F4FF.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 108
  • DAD1EE5C-0DAE-4311-BD64-6380CAB52977.jpeg
    DAD1EE5C-0DAE-4311-BD64-6380CAB52977.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 113
I, too, am fairly new to chams specifically. Of those I have 4 - each with it's own custom built enclosure. My first pair (Delilah and Dexter) share a hutch [divided of course]. My other pair will be living in an entertainment stand [I just picked them up last night, let the demo begin!!]. Right now my male is in a reptibreeze and my female is being held by Frank due to the recent storm. I spend my days building houses and building for people comforts... so my chams get custom houses too.

20190909_114527.jpg

In addition to the chams I have a wife [who actually has been buying the chams THEN telling me...], a son with Spina Bifida and ONE dog. However, in my house there is also: another dog, 2 cats [the squish face kind], a 1.5-2yo Beardie girl and a red eye crocodile skink. The latter 2 "belong" to my son....

I keep my herps in my "office", in front of an oversized window, right off the front door. I replaced the fan lights with par38 LEDs. I also keep in my meditation room: snails, katydids, hornworms, crickets, roaches, silkworms, silkworm eggs and 26 chameleon eggs.

20190909_113934.jpg 20190909_114204.jpg

Attachments

• 20190818_193744.jpg
    20190818_193744.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 108

If you enjoy reefs, you better love bio set ups! I had a 8g nano reef about 8 years ago. Was more addicting than cham keeping lol

Lets see over the years I've dragged home a lot of field caught pets.
I had garter snakes for a while because I didn't have to feed them cute little mammals.
I had a Moluccan Cockatoo, beautiful but soooo loud and very needy. I had a cat for about 18 years that came from a laboratory training program.
Now I have about half a dozen T.j.j. and one horse that I own and an other I ride for a friend. I always had Australian Shepherds but the horses take so much time that I don't have any dogs right now. Once I get my young horse more trained I will get another dog. When I worked at the vet hospital dogs always landed in my life. Now I will have to actually go look for one.

Back
Top Bottom