What kind of uvb?

chamalam

So I have a 2' x 2' x 4' enclosure for my cham but the top of the cage that is mesh is only about 12'' wide a I don't know what kind or size of uvb bulb to get? I'm not sure if i should get a t8 or t5 because im planning to place it directly on the cage. Not sure if i should just get the 24'' uvb even though most of it would be on the wood instead of mesh.

Aside from my curiosity why there is only 12" of screen on top of a 24 x 24 enclosure, I'm confident most here will recommend a 24" T5HO linear UVB.

For bulbs you have a couple of choices—Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%.

Most of the fixtures for these lights are made by the same mfr.—Shenzen Sunlight Lighting Co. (OEM) and all are virtually identical.

1618240919804.png

• Arcadia Pro T5
  • Biodude T5HO
  • Carolina Custom Cages T5HO
  • Hydrofarm "Jumpstart"
  • Sunblaster T5HO Nanotech
  • Vivarium T5
  • and Others
so shop for price.

Also, it doesn't have to sit directly on the enclosure, which could deform/damage the reflector in some cases.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/simple-uvb-fixture-supports.177896/

thank you! ha, I thought it was sort of odd that it was on 12'' wide but one of my family members made it and they aren't exactly used to making reptile enclosures, so some things are to be expected.

Is there any way to modify the cage so that the lighting is able to go across the 24 inches completely?

What type of screen did they use on the top?

Is there any way to modify the cage so that the lighting is able to go across the 24 inches completely?

What type of screen did they use on the top?
we ran out of mesh at the top so we just used a zoomed chameleon enclosure door. also, we don't really have the tools to fix it, unfortunately.

we ran out of mesh at the top so we just used a zoomed chameleon enclosure door. also, we don't really have the tools to fix it, unfortunately.
Ok well your best bet then with the size your dealing with is to get the 14 inch T5 fixture. This one specifically would work well for you. So the bulb is 12 inches. I would not waste the money getting the larger fixture because none of the light will pass and it is going to put out some heat on the wood top. https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html

You want a branch 8-9 measured inches below this fixture with it sitting directly on the screen top for your cham to have the correct UVI level to avoid MBD.

You might be amazed what a home-cooked meal (or take-out pizza) and a six-pack will do when asking that family member for a slight modification. ;)

I might be able to tell more if I could see the top of the enclosure.

You might be amazed what a home-cooked meal (or take-out pizza) and a six-pack will do when asking that family member for a slight modification. ;)

I might be able to tell more if I could see the top of the enclosure.
the picture of the mesh is the top! i couldnt get a good angle of it but its like a smaller rectangle of mesh sorrounded by a couple inches of wood on all sides. thats the best I can explain it!

the picture of the mesh is the top! i couldnt get a good angle of it but its like a smaller rectangle of mesh sorrounded by a couple inches of wood on all sides. thats the best I can explain it!
Somehow I'm not seeing it—or enough of it. Maybe it's too close? 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom