what kind of chameleon do i have???

Do you have a first name? I cant help thinking of you as a small furry Muppet LOL

{fozzie bear~The muppet show)

thank you lol well im off to bed its half 1 in the morning now i have work tomoz lol thanks for talkin

please for the sake of your chameleon..... dont try to front, and let me make it very clear it is ultra obvious to us your're putting up a front.

we dont care how much or how little you know, all we care about is the animals.

there are many species of chameleon with very different standards of care.

without knowing which you had, you had no way of getting the info. thats why its obvious your fronting.

Even if you did know which species you had...........you dont know all about breeding and care

im not fronting im just saying, i spent hours talking to the guy i bought her off finding everything out i needed to know its not like i just went into a shop and walked off not knowing anything, i have had pets for years i also have two dogs at the mo aswell, i know how to care for animals

*sigh* Batten the hatches!

Angry%2BMob%2BSimpsons.jpg

Run Rachel, Run !!! :D

im not fronting im just saying, i spent hours talking to the guy i bought her off finding everything out i needed to know its not like i just went into a shop and walked off not knowing anything, i have had pets for years i also have two dogs at the mo aswell, i know how to care for animals

you will not learn everything you need to know in hours talking to one person.

I dont even know that much. Im a novice and constantly seek knowledge on the two species im currently keeping.

Please for the sake of your chameleon read that link.

I even will go as far as to encourage you to post pictures of your set up on the board. That way members with far greater knowledge then either one of us can point out what you're doing right or wrong.

I have taken care of tons of animals but NOTHING prepared me for the scope of care these guys require. If we seem a little up in arms it is only because so many people come here AFTER getting all of the wrong information. We can double check your husbandry if you fill this out...

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

welcome to the forum

People's concerns can sometimes come across as condescending. It isn't meant to be that way. It's just that if you got your animal at a reptile show or store or some individual and he is your only source he may not know it all. He can cover the basic of cage setup but there are a lot of tips that can be given from other members that the person may have left out or forgotten.

What I am saying is, feel free to post your setup pics and info. some people may have some tips about it and just be open minded and not upset by what is said, they are only trying to help.

Edit: This site is a good read: UV guide

This forum is full of helpful people. I am fairly new here, and new to chameleons as well. They are amazing, I now have 2 of them , both veileds just like you have.

There are several different thoughts and practices on raising these animals, but a few commonly accepted ones, and getting as much knowledge and experience from this group is a very wise choice to make. It may seem like you're being "jumped" on sometimes, but they're all just trying to to make sure your cham gets the best quality care it can.

I have also had several different types of animals, and reptiles, I still do.... as I'm sure is the same with many of the forum memebers here. Julirs is correct in her first statement. Chameleons have a lot different care requirements than many other reptiles, and tend to be more sensitive to things that might be just a little off with your husbandry.

I was also a little leary when you asked what kind of cham you had, but yet said you knew everything you needed to know about caring for it, each species has it's own specific care requirements. Hopefully the guy you got it from gave you great advice, but perhaps, some of his tactics were off, hopefully not. I wonder if he gave you any information on their egg laying process, because they can/will lay eggs without being mated. Read the blog a couple people posted, there's some good info on there about it. Like I said, I haven't been here that long, but I have already seen at least a dozen posts on someone just getting their first cham and the information given to them from where they purchased their animals, was well intentioned but incorrect. Please fill out the information Form that Julirs posted, and everyone here will be sure to help you give your cham the excellent care it deserves.

I have also discovered how expensive it is to maintain a good varied food supply, until you start raising your own feeders it tends to add up. I am also feeding these to my geckos, but between the crickets, horworms, silkworms, superworms, and waxworms(treats) I have spent at least $150 in the past 3 months, just for the feeders. I can't remember where you're from, but maybe you have someone in your area that does raise the feeders and you will be able to buy from them directly at a decent price and not have to pay the expensive shipping.

Welcome to the forums, read, learn, share, it's a great forum to be on.

Last edited:
Fozzie, I hope you take the time to research and explore your options for recieving information.

While talking to a pet store consultant, the infomration may seem conclusive but in actuality most of the advice they offer pretty much guarantees a sick and dying chameleon within a couple months.

Here is what COULD happen if you follow the advice of a pet store as opposed to people who have actual experience breeding and raising these sensitive creatures.
P1016363.jpg

(Note: Neighbors bought her from a pet store, got the "ideal pet store" setup, and this was the result. I turned her over to a rescue and she is living life the best she can. You can read her story here)
Mostly the lighting was incorrect, but it was a combination of a few issues.

Like mentioned, these are sensitive animals. Sensitive to lighting, to temperature, food, etc. So it would be in your best interest to research as much as possible.

Chameleons are exotic pets, even for a reptile. Exotic care, exotic vets, exotic costs. Research is key.

i re read my post, and just wanted to say i didnt mean it to come off like that.

what i wanted to get across is that, reading what you posted made me think you did really think you knew all about them.

the problem with truly thinking that you know all about them is, you wont have any idea how much you didnt know until something goes wrong and you have to ask around to even know what to call the affliction, let alone how to treat it, and more importantly how to prevent it.

its hard to tell tone online, but believe me im not one to come down on someone for not knowing something , or making mistakes. Just wanted to let know you this forum can be very good to humble n00b keepers and can be a great source of info.

only the best

Back
Top Bottom