What kind of bulb?

Hello,

So I just recently got a new cage setup for my boy jimbo. He’s a 3 month veiled male. Because of the upgrade, the temps are sitting a little low. I just wanna know if I should get him a 50w or 75w bulb? It’s sitting at 79 max, about an inch lower than his basking spot is where the thermometer is so I assume it’s caping out at like 80/81. I have one of those devices that turn it off it it goes above a certain temp so it won’t overheat.

Here’s his new cage setup too :) no more leaks or puddles cause I decided no substrate should be fine

Attachments

• FB2F48FA-A605-425E-BD92-ECEE407701DF.jpeg
    FB2F48FA-A605-425E-BD92-ECEE407701DF.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 96
  • A3496EF2-9C32-4536-B057-E3DE0F24A0A6.jpeg
    A3496EF2-9C32-4536-B057-E3DE0F24A0A6.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 85
Hello,

So I just recently got a new cage setup for my boy jimbo. He’s a 3 month veiled male. Because of the upgrade, the temps are sitting a little low. I just wanna know if I should get him a 50w or 75w bulb? It’s sitting at 79 max, about an inch lower than his basking spot is where the thermometer is so I assume it’s caping out at like 80/81. I have one of those devices that turn it off it it goes above a certain temp so it won’t overheat.

Here’s his new cage setup too :) no more leaks or puddles cause I decided no substrate should be fine
You plan on upgrading that enclosure too? Cuz.... That's waaaaay too small for a veiled chameleon. A pygmy chameleon would even ask for more space.

You plan on upgrading that enclosure too? Cuz.... That's waaaaay too small for a veiled chameleon. A pygmy chameleon would even ask for more space.
He’s 3 months old dude. I literally just upgraded his cage, it’s now 18x15x36 which is good for him for the next couple of months. I obviously plan on upgrading in the future but thats Not what this post is about

He’s 3 months old dude. I literally just upgraded his cage, it’s now 18x15x36 which is good for him for the next couple of months. I obviously plan on upgrading in the future but thats Not what this post is about
Just making sure. Geesh didnt mean to offend you. Just saying in no time he's going to outgrow that. They need space. It looks OK but I'm not going to put any kind of stamp of approval on your current setup if that's what you're looking for.

Just making sure. Geesh didnt mean to offend you. Just saying in no time he's going to outgrow that. They need space. It looks OK but I'm not going to put any kind of stamp of approval on your current setup if that's what you're looking for.
Can you read my post? I’m not looking for a “stamp of approval” from anyone, I’m asking which wattage bulb I should get. It’s literally in my damn title! Jeez, i Come here for help not to be attacked passive aggressively lol. If you do not have anything helpful or maybe positive constructive criticism to share with me please don’t reply!

Can you read my post? I’m not looking for a “stamp of approval” from anyone, I’m asking which wattage bulb I should get. It’s literally in my damn title! Jeez, i Come here for help not to be attacked passive aggressively lol. If you do not have anything helpful or maybe positive constructive criticism to share with me please don’t reply!
You're right. I'm soooo wrong. But tell me how I'm suppose to tell you what bulb to get when I don't even know what bulb you have? Also common sense says the higher the wattage the higher the heat.

You're right. I'm soooo wrong. But tell me how I'm suppose to tell you what bulb to get when I don't even know what bulb you have? Also common sense says the higher the wattage the higher the heat.
Okay dude like you don’t gotta sit here and be rude. No one said you’re wrong, all I said was you don’t have to be rude in your responses, I come here because it’s a great community to get help and advice in and it’s not necessary to come and be a smart ass on my post. I’ve gotten a lot of nice genuine advice and help from this community because I’m new to owning reptiles and have really appreciated all the help I’ve gotten that’s why I come here. I know that the higher the wattage the stronger but I have heard that if I do too high of wattage it can burn him or something along those lines so I came for advice. That’s what this forums is for so don’t come at me like a smart ass telling me it’s “common sense”. Sometimes hearing an answer from an expert gives me relief even if I know what I should do. Also, I said I was debating between 50 and 75 so I assumed it would be known that the next step down was a 25, which is what I have.

I don’t mean to come off rude, I love this community. I just don’t appreciate the way you responded.

What do you expect posting a picture with poor cham husbandry? Should we just breeze by everyone keeping their chams incorrectly because they didn't ask? This is literally a forum for the welfare of chameleons.... People care about the animals and want to see them doing well....

The wattage bulb depends on a few factors, you could probably use the 75w in your situation.

Also, reptile carpet is no bueno and you need more branches, plants, etc.

Get a 50w then. Is your thermostat a dimmable one or on/off? If it's an on/off this will not suffice. You'll need a dimmable thermostat. Also that's what the thermostat is for so you don't burn your Cham. Raising or lowering the bulb or branchrs is the easiest way to fine tune your temps though. Smart ass out!

What do you expect posting a picture with poor cham husbandry? Should we just breeze by everyone keeping their chams incorrectly because they didn't ask? This is literally a forum for the welfare of chameleons.... People care about the animals and want to see them doing well....

The wattage bulb depends on a few factors, you could probably use the 75w in your situation.

Okay and I understand that. That’s completely fine, my point is there’s no need to be rude about it. I’d love to get the little guy everything he needs to be happy and healthy and I come on here to receive advice on how I can continue to build towards that. Attacking me isn’t going to magically help, genuine responses would help and good advice. It’s not hard to do, especially being you are all knowledgeable on husbandry for the little guys.

Get a 50w then. Is your thermostat a dimmable one or on/off? If it's an on/off this will not suffice. You'll need a dimmable thermostat. Also that's what the thermostat is for so you don't burn your Cham. Raising or lowering the bulb or branchrs is the easiest way to fine tune your temps though. Smart ass out!
Thank you! All the response I asked for! Yes I have the one that turns off after a certain temp if that’s what the Dimmable one is lol. Also I’ll look into a bigger cage soon too, this one just temporary because the “experts” where I bought it from convinced me a small 12x12x18 was good for him for the first few months. Gladly I was told I needed to upgrade ASAP even if it’s just temporarily because they cannot live happily in such a small space. Appreciate your help!

And why no carpet?

That's an 18x15x36? It looks way smaller than that, which is probably why @CamoChameleonsHuman brought it up. It may just be a weird angle, but it definitely seems really small. You said you welcomed constructive criticism but that's what he was giving you. It's awesome that you are upgrading and looking to better your husbandry, but when someone points out a flaw take it with grace rather than get defensive. Everyone is here to make sure the chams are being cared for, not to protect the feelings of the keepers.

Okay and I understand that. That’s completely fine, my point is there’s no need to be rude about it. I’d love to get the little guy everything he needs to be happy and healthy and I come on here to receive advice on how I can continue to build towards that. Attacking me isn’t going to magically help, genuine responses would help and good advice. It’s not hard to do, especially being you are all knowledgeable on husbandry for the little guys.
By the way I was far far far from attacking you. Trust me.... And from my life experiences people who feel "attacked" are only just feeling "guilt"

Thank you! All the response I asked for! Yes I have the one that turns off after a certain temp if that’s what the Dimmable one is lol. Also I’ll look into a bigger cage soon too, this one just temporary because the “experts” where I bought it from convinced me a small 12x12x18 was good for him for the first few months. Gladly I was told I needed to upgrade ASAP even if it’s just temporarily because they cannot live happily in such a small space. Appreciate your help!
No that's not the dimmable one.

Wow what did I walk in on lol. Ok refresh my brain this is upgrading from the glass eco terra right? If your using 25 then the next step up would be 50... however if your hitting 80 at the branch a simple shift up of the branch an inch or two should get you to the right heat level. 50 watt may be too hot which would leave you needing to suspend the fixture. So either or. You have an on off thermostat not a dimming one.

Wow what did I walk in on lol. Ok refresh my brain this is upgrading from the glass eco terra right? If your using 25 then the next step up would be 50... however if your hitting 80 at the branch a simple shift up of the branch an inch or two should get you to the right heat level. 50 watt may be too hot which would leave you needing to suspend the fixture. So either or. You have an on off thermostat not a dimming one.
These are the temps after lowering it closer to the enclosure. I’m just worried he could be getting chillie especially because I’m having those good misting sessions with him now :) just to update you I removed all that nasty substrate once and for all so That shouldn’t be an issue anymore. Thank you though, gonna try to shift the branch and if anything I’ll grab a 50w. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom