What Kind Of Bugs Should I Get?

KamaKamaChameleon!

Avid Member
I Thinking About Maybe Mantis ooths Or green banana roaches Or Anything Else You Think I Should Get.
My Cham Is About 4-5 Months Old. I Was Thinking to Get Those Things From Full Throttle Feeders.
So Just Give Me Ideas For Foods For My Cham.

Both are great choices for different reasons.

my top choices.... I don't have them all all the time, I just rotate them in.

Mantis- The ooths can be collected in most of the US and they keep in the fridge for months.
Green Bananas-
Dubias- Colony. slowly being replaced by Orange Heads.
Vietnamese stick insects. I may replace these with a variety that eats ivy. In Maryland, the food sources all loose their leaves in winter. Full Throttle and Andee have these.
BSFL- Using a timer I am adjusting the temps of a dorm fridge to 50 - 60 degrees so they keep for months
Mantis- The ooths can be collected in most of the US and they keep in the fridge for months.

I occasionally use...
Super worms- dirt cheap at my local pet shop (20/$1) and my chams love them as a treat.
Crickets- not really my favorite but when I order bugs I sometimes get some just to mix things up.
Hornworms- pricey and mostly water
silkworms- hatching eggs now.

Last edited:
I have ordered green bananas (and a cleaner crew) from Full Throttle. I highly recommend. Has a very good price on the greens and I am pretty sure I got a hefty over count. I didn't count them but it seemed as if there were. Plus he gave me nymphs of different ages and a few adults.

Orange heads are easier but they do smell and the adults are too big for most chams. The GBRs are hard for chams to resist. They move fast and the adults climb glass and sort of fly. I have not had any fly out yet. with GBR you need to use moist substrate and feed bananas and apples. They don't seem to be interested in much else. Orange heads don't need substrate, though some say they benefit from it. Substrate makes it harder to collect the bugs.

GBR and orangeheads can't really be compared. One would make a great staple, the other a variety feeder. My orange heads barely smell unless you have your head in the tub. IME if they have space they don't give off much odor at all.

GBR and orangeheads can't really be compared. One would make a great staple, the other a variety feeder. My orange heads barely smell unless you have your head in the tub. IME if they have space they don't give off much odor at all.
I don't smell my colony unless I'm close but some people find them offensive.

Harlequin roaches are not a species I recommend because the adults are not feedable, they are thin roaches and can climb, making gasket bins your only choice; and also they are considered an intermediete species to care for depending on which locale you have I would say some strain are more advanced. They are incredibly difficult to encourage to breed and not worth using as feeders in my opinion.

I like stick insects as a rotation feeder, my mainstays are two non-climbing roach varieties, one climbing roach, silkworms, supers, isopods, buffalo worms (they are in my cleaner crew), silkworm moths, and also calciworms as a feeder I don't currently raise. I raise other feeders to keep things interesting like sticks, snails, another roach species. Just simple things.

I like stick insects as a rotation feeder, my mainstays are two non-climbing roach varieties, one climbing roach, silkworms, supers, isopods, buffalo worms (they are in my cleaner crew), silkworm moths, and also calciworms as a feeder I don't currently raise. I raise other feeders to keep things interesting like sticks, snails, another roach species. Just simple things.
Is there a certain kind of snail that you feed? What about the shell?

I feed Helix Aspersum that have been seperated from the original parent strain as eggs due to parasite transfer if they hatch. At a certain age the egg is easily ingestible and breakable.

I feed Helix Aspersum that have been seperated from the original parent strain as eggs due to parasite transfer if they hatch. At a certain age the egg is easily ingestible and breakable.
as not to seem stupid, even my veiled can eat them? Thanks for the reply. Julie

Yeah! My geckos eat them too. But you have to be careful where you source it. It's why I offer them like I do now. Just saw a new pairing last night from two of mine! New eggs! Yay

Back
Top Bottom