what is the best time of year to breed panthers

reptyslick123

hi there i will be hopfully be breeding panther chameleons in a year and i am just gathering all of the knowledge needed for it to be a successfull breeder.
One of my questions is does it have to be a specific time of year to pair two breeding panthers up if so what is the best time. they will be a year old about when they will be paired up.
thanks you for sharing you knowledge with me i real do apreciat it.

Whenever the female is receptive :) They breed year round, unlike some other lizards.

thank you
also how many time can you breed the same female in one year because i heard that if done more than once a year the females life expectoncy will be like 2-3 years.
thanks you
p.s do you live in England

No, the US.

Well, most recommend not breeding her more than once a year. After her first clutch, she lays another that is likely to be fertile, and the third clutch can be fertile but is less likely to be. So, you could potentially get 3 clutches out of a single mating. Yes, females who lay eggs freely are less likely to live longer. Females on restricted diets to try and control clutch size are likely to live a bit longer, and females who do not lay at all are likely to live the longest.

if i was to breed my female one time evey year. on average how long will her life expectocy be also how long will it take a gravid female to lay all three cluches

I have not been able to stop the panther's reproduction...only control the size of the clutches somewhat in panthers. This basically means that they will keep producing eggs on a regular basis...so the questions are how much harder on them is it to produce fertile eggs instead of infertile ones and how will it affect their longevity/health. I don't have a good answer to these questions but suspect that keeping the clutch size down and making sure that the female is kept in good health will both help her to live fairly long.

Sandrachameleon has been able to hold off egg production in her females. She did it for two years and then bred them.

You can't stop them once they start, but you can certainly delay the first clutch.

You can stop egg production in female veileds all together. If you do a search you should get many helpful results. It's no secret.

if i was to breed my female one time evey year. on average how long will her life expectocy be also how long will it take a gravid female to lay all three cluches and once you start breeding her will she constuntly lay eggs all year round if so do i leave a egg layying in all year

Yes all year. She may lay 2-4 or so clutches a year. It depends on food and nutrition as well as temperature. Most don't live past 3 years when producing so much.

You can influence it with temperature and the lighting of your terrarium. Madagascar isn't on the equator, they have colder and warmer parts of the year. Parsoniis for example need this climate change, without it the chances are not so good to get them in breeding mood.
So if you gave your female colder months with less hours of light and reduced food you can control the egg production / the tempo.

so if the female was paired up with the male she would lay 2-4 culters thought the year yes? then if i was to breeded her next year i would have to pair her up again? also does what mean that there has to be an egg laying bin in her tank all year round?

An experienced keeper that keeps good records on breeding dates can determine when a female will lay within a few days on most occurences. However, its still recommended that a bin be available at all times to a sexually mature female. The real question is "Why not have a bin avail for your female at all times?" Its a simple enough solution to the egg laying issue. My feeling is if you arent willing to do the little extras needed to properly care for a female then dont purchase one. ;)

i am try to do all of the reasch before hand i was just woundering if you leave the egg laying bin in all year around as some people don't and i seamed logical it me.
thanks alex

i am try to do all of the reasch before hand i was just woundering if you leave the egg laying bin in all year around as some people don't and i seamed logical it me.
thanks alex

always have a laying bin in a females cage...yet I take mine out once I notice some digging and put them in a giant trash can to finish laying.

Harry

thank you very much but most female panthers lay about 2-3 clutches of eggs do you know how many days there will be between each laying is it the about 28-37 the same number of days when she has been breed as she will have to start making aggs again. that semes logical
thanks Alex

thank you very much but most female panthers lay about 2-3 clutches of eggs do you know how many days there will be between each laying is it the about 28-37 the same number of days when she has been breed as she will have to start making aggs again. that semes logical
thanks Alex

I know this post is old but I have this same question.

Back
Top Bottom