what happened to the different local panthers?

@chris

What happened to the different locals of Panthers in the past few years? I only see the usual Ambilobe, Nosy Be, Ambanja, etc . . . but I see some people speaking about other locals like sambava, tamatave, Masoala, Nosy mitsio and others. Even here you can see that the last time people spoke about them was a few years ago. I’m fairly new to the community and am just curious as to why that is? I would guess that the captive bred colonies of them have slowly dropped in numbers.

What happened to the different locals of Panthers in the past few years? I only see the usual Ambilobe, Nosy Be, Ambanja, etc . . . but I see some people speaking about other locals like sambava, tamatave, Masoala, Nosy mitsio and others. Even here you can see that the last time people spoke about them was a few years ago. I’m fairly new to the community and am just curious as to why that is? I would guess that the captive bred colonies of them have slowly dropped in numbers.
Also to the veterans in the community, do you see these locals coming back in the future?

I just looked thru the Fauna classifieds and you are right nothing but pages and pages of Ambanja and Ambilobe for sale. I do know of a few people trading Nosy Mitsio but they came from European breeders.

And he the post for Nosy Faly for sale proofs my point! Amazingly beautiful animals that were for sale! Very healthy looking! And it took the breeder a long time to sell them all!

From my limited experience with panthers I have noticed that the "Nosy's" tend to start smaller and grow slower than the main island "A" locales. It's interesting that you are seeing something similar. I wonder if this is a genetic tendency based on a response to less resources on small islands.

It is complex! If you breed what does not sell you are not a logical or smart breeder! You have to go with the flow of supply and demand! Also, things are sometimes dependent on local dynamics in Madagascar! Mitsio panthers for instance has not been exported in a while because the locals threatened to kill any foreigners that dare come to their island!
that makes sense! some of those locals are great though i hope some changes happen for them to be more available soon.

Back
Top Bottom