What Grinds My Gears

Amberbluefrog

Established Member
So there is an animal YouTuber who has 185k subscribers who recently popped up in my recommended because she just got two new panther Chameleon babies and made a video about her building her enclosure.
I watched it because I love enclosure builds, but oh my goodness was it so frustrating to watch. She filled the enclosure with mossy vines, real sticks with green mushrooms on them (which she commented looked cool), fake plants, she said her basking temperature for babies is 90 degrees, and in her description she linked a T8 UVB.

It feels silly to get upset by it, but when your audience is 185k, you’d think you would want to share correct information. I’m so thankful for people like @Gingero because she shares such good information on YouTube and other forums. Sorry for the rant I just had to get it off my chest😅

So there is an animal YouTuber who has 185k subscribers who recently popped up in my recommended because she just got two new panther Chameleon babies and made a video about her building her enclosure.
I watched it because I love enclosure builds, but oh my goodness was it so frustrating to watch. She filled the enclosure with mossy vines, real sticks with green mushrooms on them (which she commented looked cool), fake plants, she said her basking temperature for babies is 90 degrees, and in her description she linked a T8 UVB.

It feels silly to get upset by it, but when your audience is 185k, you’d think you would want to share correct information. I’m so thankful for people like @Gingero because she shares such good information on YouTube and other forums. Sorry for the rant I just had to get it off my chest😅
Kristenleanimal 😂watched that the other day was a funny watch

I see this a lot when I watch enclosure builds... very frustrating. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

What grinds my gears, is when I'm at the pet store looking through the aquarium stuff and I see people grabbing tiny bowls to put their betta fish in or worse a tiny bowl for a gold fish. 😤😤

Well, I disliked both of her vids and put feedback in the comments section, though I have no hope of her following through with it! I’ve watched and commented on her previous chameleon videos in the past, and they were either removed or ignored (don’t worry, I don’t follow her)! 😤

Well, I disliked both of her vids and put feedback in the comments section, though I have no hope of her following through with it! I’ve watched and commented on her previous chameleon videos in the past, and they were either removed or ignored (don’t worry, I don’t follow her)! 😤
Of course they would delete them instead of taking in the advice to have a healthier cham... 🙄🤦🏻‍♀️

Why would you use fake plants that have dye in them??!!? the chameleon DRINKS off those!!

Edit: the "green mushrooms" are actually lichen i think, one of my branches has that, and i dont think that will hurt the animals.

Last edited:
Ugh that’s so incredibly annoying. I know she said her last chameleon died from liver failure. She has comments off on her Instagram page so you can’t even try to say something there

MEH gotta learn not to let this stuff bother you. You see it everywhere... Including the forum. People give wrong info and do not see the consequences of it. People give advice when they do not even have that species and lead people in the wrong direction because of it. Then there are the people that give pieces of advice without explanation or links or anything.

You learn to let it roll off your back.

You also have to take it in context... What is recommended is not universal.

For example. All live plants are preferred and are a have to item with Veileds... But for those that have other species adding in fake to fill out more or whatever is not the same risk as it is for those with Veileds... Where this gets sticky is some Veiled owner thinks "oh thats ok I saw it here" No context on the why was given so they repeat what they saw. Veiled eats fake plant and dies from an impaction.

More examples... T8 fixtures and bulbs absolutely can be used for chams... And can be preferred for montane species that require cooler temps. The T8 does not have the same heat output a T5 does. BUT here is your kicker... Using a T8 fixture for any cham means using the right bulb strength and distance (same with T5). And here is where you get the issues... Person sees that they used a T8 fixture. So they buy a T8 with a 5.0 bulb and have basking 10 inches below... Chameleon develops MBD and dies... Again an issue of context is not given. The how to and whys were skipped.

Now temp.... Basking for babies... A very very reputable breeder recommends a basking of 90 for their babies. They have always raised them with hotter temps... I have even seen where babies that were bought from this breeder struggle in their new environment because basking is much cooler then they are used to. Once the temp is increased even to 85 they start to thrive... So again context. Knowing details is important.

Another reason why in the forum you see a few of us asking a ton of questions and in turn giving a ton of feedback with links. Not everything is universal and there are many ways to achieve the correct husbandry.

Well I was right, she deleted/someone reported it and got my comment removed from her unboxing video. I replied again, and it, too, was deleted. At least my comment on her cage building video is still there, which is where I went into more detail, anyway. I try to avoid her stuff, but every once in while I respond just so someone reading will get correct info

Wait to you see the one with the kid telling you to use the hottest water possible to put in the spray bottle he must say it 10 times You can’t even put a thumbs down because he has comments blocked I don’t know how you would get that information off of YouTube but it would be great if you got that one off

i wish people would do their reseach before telling everyone else how to do it wrong. I can totally understand your frustration.

I second that. A lot of YouTube people are just trying to get payed. The more subscribe and view you have the more $$ you make. For same it’s more about entertainment then about teaching.

Yeah, I mean, I don't have a problem with wanting to get paid. It motivates people and I personally would love to get paid a lot doing something I'm interested in. There's one big drawback that's been on my mind lately though... think of how many people are purposely killing/hurting animals or even kids in order to post about about it for attention. Like munchausen. My wife will show me people posting their kid struggling for life in the hospital or something like that and I'm like WTF. Which person that is so traumatized would be taking the time to write some corny bs and posting pictures of themselves in the corner crying. The hunger and addiction for attention is at it's peak and the problems are starting to show. Could also write a whole book about how it has impacted politics.

Yeah, I mean, I don't have a problem with wanting to get paid. It motivates people and I personally would love to get paid a lot doing something I'm interested in. There's one big drawback that's been on my mind lately though... think of how many people are purposely killing/hurting animals or even kids in order to post about about it for attention. Like munchausen. My wife will show me people posting their kid struggling for life in the hospital or something like that and I'm like WTF. Which person that is so traumatized would be taking the time to write some corny bs and posting pictures of themselves in the corner crying. The hunger and addiction for attention is at it's peak and the problems are starting to show. Could also write a whole book about how it has impacted politics.
You are spot one.

Back
Top Bottom