What does your cham do for you?

Wildwilson

Established Member
I am applying to medical school this fall, so my classes are extremely difficult. My mom currently has cancer and also suffers from muscular dystrophy. There is often a lot of anxiety and depression that comes from this. Ive had my cham about 3 weeks now, he is in my seperate room. When i am overly stressed i just go lay on the bed in there and watch him climb around, hunt crickets, and bask. It has a really calming effect on me and it has made this stressful time in my life a lot easier. He gives me mental support lol. Do your chams do things like this for you?

Last edited:
Praying for your Mom. Yes...Lil Louie has a way about him that makes me smile. I love to watch him climb around and watch how agile he is. I have to check him out before I go to bed each night to see him in his jammies.

Hmm for me the biggest thing he gives me is pride. I know it sounds stupid but for a really long time I was told to stay clear of All chameleon that they are extremely difficult to take care of them. So I studied and researched and researched so much that I been kicked out of certain pet stores because I was trying to educate the workers and telling them that their charms were sick and that they should be seen with a vet that sees exotics. Blah blah
He makes me laugh, I can almost read him lol

I have found that caring for Charlie is therapeutic as well. I recently went through a really difficult break up, huge move, career change, and college graduation all at once, among other things, and it was all wearing on me. I was kind of floundering and was dealing with depression as well, and then we got Charlie. Even my mom has noticed a change in me. Charlie occupies my time and mind in the best way possible.

I’m three weeks into owning my first chameleon and I cannot get enough of him. In May of last year I hit a rough patch and decided I needed a project/hobby to take up some free time and keep my brain occupied; got a little baked with a friend one night and stumbled upon this video...
there came the idea of owning a chameleon, In June a FedEx 18 wheeler backed into my driveway delivering my terrarium in the middle of a get together that we had at my house after my grandfather’s funeral and my parents/entire extended family were like “what the hell did you just get yourself into?” It was actually quite comical. I spent the whole year basically researching everything that I possibly could, and bought each component piece by piece. I thoroughly enjoyed doing the research on chameleons, found it therapeutic learning new things and whatnot and it was so fun getting everything set up one piece at a time..But now that I have him, I’ll come home after a long day of work or school as I’m a college student working as well to finance my tuition without having to get loans, and hop into bed just watch Kendrick do his little chameleon shuffle along the branches or vines. I hand feed him crickets but I put everything else in a food bowl in an attempt to condition him to eat veggies soon haha. I could watch him eat all day everyday. As much of a novice as I still am, I can tell there’s a certain almost healing aura these animals have about them that I can’t put my finger on but I absolutely can relate. Kendrick is relatively new in my life but he’s already done a lot for me.. Prayers up for your mom as well I’m sorry to hear about that.

They make sure I don't keep to much money in the bank...

My panther is funny to watch, my jax is just awesome to look at even if he doesn't move. They certainly are the most needy reptiles I've kept in my lifetime but they keep my hobby interesting too.

Agreed, no money in the bank but they give me a tremendous amount of focus, an incentive to earn extra and provide for them which is in turn good for me, they need constant care so if I’m feeling down or not that good it makes me get up and go and care for them which usually ends up making me feel much better afterwards anyway, you can’t just say I’ll leave it.
There’s pride in trying your best to provide what they need and there’s nothing like the good feeling when everyone has eaten nicely gutloaded food and everyone is looking good.
Kind thoughts and best wishes to you and your mother in this very difficult time, I’m glad your chameleon gives you such pleasure too, they are miracle workers for us humans aren’t they and what is amazing is we have no idea when we first get them how very much these little creatures will change our lives and hearts.

In addition to all the satisfaction and immersion in their care, another advantage is that you can pour out your heart to one, tell them your secrets, rant and rage, and they won't get offended or gossip....they can't hear a thing you say.

I suffer from pretty severe PTSD after serving in Iraq. My Chams serve as a great distraction from all that when I feed them and do routine maintainence. I enjoy just watching them. They totally help me. I enjoy them much more than the snakes I used to breed. Best of luck to your mother. I am a cancer survivor, so I can relate a bit to what she is going through. Good luck to you.

I personally have depression and anxiety as well as severe adhd, but my Lily my bearded dragon and Chandler my panther chameleon definitely help me feel better on my worst days. I think it's because their health is dependent on me being dependable and attentive, it forces me to focus and to get up and take care of them.

Back
Top Bottom