What does he not like?

It could very well be that the UVB is much to high. I would get the 6% sooner then later. Overexposure is just as dangerous and underexposure.

Agreed that both over and under exposure is dangerous however in this size enclosure with the amount of shade supplied I highly doubt he is at risk. Does he bask often? Or does he seem to be uncomfortable up there? Or all together avoiding the upper more exposed areas? If so then over exposure may be a possibility keeping in mind how powerful the sun is near the equator(so much more than any bulb) but also how tall the canopys can be supplying ample escape from it in the shade.

Agreed that both over and under exposure is dangerous however in this size enclosure with the amount of shade supplied I highly doubt he is at risk. Does he bask often? Or does he seem to be uncomfortable up there? Or all together avoiding the upper more exposed areas? If so then over exposure may be a possibility keeping in mind how powerful the sun is near the equator(so much more than any bulb) but also how tall the canopys can be supplying ample escape from it in the shade.
We have seen many chams with not only burns but eye issues due to improper UVB lighting. With a 10% they are getting way to high of UVI level at basking. In the wild when the sun is at its most intense they retreat because the temperature goes up as well. In a controlled environment like a cage the temp remains the same. Therefore they do not know to retreat. A 10% bulb would be giving off a really high UVI in a single bulb fixture.

While it may not be causing the cham to want out.. It will cause future health issues if it is not corrected.

I would also recommend more basking area at various distances from the basking light providing multiple temps and angles for your cham starting 6-8 inches from the top. Thermoregulation is very important.

He basks very often, and he doesn't seem uncomfortable up there, in fact, I very rarely see him lower than the very top vine.

When I quote that temperature that's at the very bottom though, I mean pretty much on the ground.

daytime temperature gradient of between 75 and 90 degrees should be provided, with a basking spot at 95 degrees, At night, the minimum temperature should not drop more than 15 degrees.

daytime temperature gradient of between 75 and 90 degrees should be provided, with a basking spot at 95 degrees, At night, the minimum temperature should not drop more than 15 degrees.

95 is to hot. Basking should be 85-90 max. 64 at the bottom of terrarium is fine during the day as long as it gets warmer at the top and has proper basking temps. Temps can drop into the mid 50s at night no problem but you don’t want to go much Lower then that.

If you can't bring the base temp up to atleast 70° then I double down on redecorating the enclosure with higher basking areas and lots of them. Besides that he looks very healthy

I always keep the bulb 2 to 3" above the screen top via propping it up to avoid burns incase they go hanging upside down.

He basks very often, and he doesn't seem uncomfortable up there, in fact, I very rarely see him lower than the very top vine.
Hun focus here for a moment. First get the 6% bulb asap. Swap this out. Double check your basking temps. Do you have a wired in gauge at basking below the heat bulb? If not get one. Really 85 is too hot for them at basking at that age. You want 82-85 hottest. As he matures he will want it warmer but still the max here is 90 degrees. Here is the care sheet for them. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

It is very common for them to start patrolling their area once they start maturing. But I do believe you need to correct the UVB now before he develops health issues.

Also you might be interested in this link about natural hydration https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/

Really watch how much you are misting. hot hair and moisture create the perfect environment for a respiratory infection to develop. Typically Panthers are kept at a max of 50% humidity during the day when lights are on. Once lights are off then a high humidity is not dangerous when the temps have dropped below 70 degrees.

I'm not entirely sure who to believe now, I've always kept his basking spot at 86 and he's not had a problem with it, I see him with his mouth open sometimes which I know can mean they're too hot.

I recommend doing research and gathering info from several resources to find a middle ground. Imo your on the colder side of their tolerances which can be ok for a winter temp as long as you supply the correct basking tempts and distances. Best of luck im
sure you'll do great.

I recommend doing research and gathering info from several resources to find a middle ground. Imo your on the colder side of their tolerances which can be ok for a winter temp as long as you supply the correct basking tempts and distances. Best of luck in
sure you'll do great.
I think I'll keep his temperature as is at the moment as he seems to be OK with it and it has always been like this since I got him. I mean this with no offence to the information you've given me, and I am grateful for your help.

I will keep the temperature as is for the moment, he's never seemed to have a problem with it, and like you say, I do not want to bake him. Thank you
As far as the wanting out... as I said it is very common as they mature to fully patrol their area. You might add more horizontal branches for him throughout the cage so he has new areas to explore. Looking over your entire help form the only potential issues are the UVB bulb strength and the mistings. If too frequent your cage will not dry out and if too frequent he will be in hot moist air. Since your cage is enclosed rather then screen you do have to monitor this a bit more then others with screen cages have to. He looks very healthy and is quite the beautiful boy. If you have any questions we are happy to help you.

Back
Top Bottom