What do you think about Trioceros hoehnelii?

Parkjw

I'm preparing to raise hoehnelii
I got a lot of information that I'm similar to Jacksonii.
Do I have to raise them similarly?
I saw some care sheets at the Chameleon Academy.

Please let me know more information about this species.

They're amazing chameleons. The chameleon academy care sheets will work very well for you. Hoehnelii are very tolerant of very cold nighttime temps, and especially for young ones, I have found this to really help them survive and thrive (mine go down to 55 or so, sometimes colder). They're actually pretty hardy overall though, once they get bigger. I find they appreciate small prey items (small flies, small crickets etc.) and don't naturally gravitate much to worms, to get them to eat worms you need to be persistent. Fogging at night works fine for them, but I've kept them with and without it. Small ones seem to benefit from slightly higher humidity around the clock (60-70%), but with a nighttime humidity increase as always (to 100%). They certainly like to bask, and will utilize high UVI levels (to 6 or so), but it's not worth offering these if the entire enclosure gets too hot. In other words, give them the option to bask and use UVI, but not if it precludes the rest of the enclosure from staying cool. Overall, raising them similarly to jacksonii will be fine though. They should do well for you.

@DocZ is a great hoehnelii keeper that might have more to say about them as well.

They're amazing chameleons. The chameleon academy care sheets will work very well for you. Hoehnelii are very tolerant of very cold nighttime temps, and especially for young ones, I have found this to really help them survive and thrive (mine go down to 55 or so, sometimes colder). They're actually pretty hardy overall though, once they get bigger. I find they appreciate small prey items (small flies, small crickets etc.) and don't naturally gravitate much to worms, to get them to eat worms you need to be persistent. Fogging at night works fine for them, but I've kept them with and without it. Small ones seem to benefit from slightly higher humidity around the clock (60-70%), but with a nighttime humidity increase as always (to 100%). They certainly like to bask, and will utilize high UVI levels (to 6 or so), but it's not worth offering these if the entire enclosure gets too hot. In other words, give them the option to bask and use UVI, but not if it precludes the rest of the enclosure from staying cool. Overall, raising them similarly to jacksonii will be fine though. They should do well for you.

@DocZ is a great hoehnelii keeper that might have more to say about them as well.
Don’t know if I’m a great keeper of them, but they are awesome. I love the size and personality
I agree the chameleon academy sheets are great help. I used basking temps of 76-78 regulated by a herpstat, and I tried to drop as low as I could at night, 50s is great. I kept mine in glass terrariums. For hydration, I did fog mine, no misting, an automatic dripper ran a few times during the day, but they rarely used it. I kept humidity 50-70% during the day and 90-100 at night, and I suspect humidity is important to their hydration
Mine were not picky about foods, but especially loved green bottle and black soldier flies, but would take dubia and discoids if small enough, waxworms, BSFL, silkworms, hydei fruit flies, bean beetles, small crickets, and mealworms were all readily eaten. For roaches, red runners were great due to their smaller size.
I also leaned toward higher UVI. I used Arcadia 12% T5 bulbs and shot for the same, about UVI 6 at the basking branch. I definitely saw mine bask frequently
I think you’d enjoy keeping them

Honestly they are VERY similar to jacksonii from my personal experience tho mine seems to be out far more and enjoys basking much more frequently even and from what I’ve read up they also enjoy slightly higher uvi range than jacksonii and mine will also sometimes just bask under the Uv bulb just keep them colder they below 62 and colder if you can I only keep my basking light on periodically and room temperature works very well for ambient temperature even 68 ambient I find is find and in terms of food besides hornworms I find mine eats just about everything like someone else said I find mine doesn’t enjoy worms very much very beautiful animals. They are just a smaller colder Jackson’s with some slight modifications their variations are incredible too

Oh also just like most montanes they are more sensitive to supplements I personally although this changes for everyone depending on if keeping outdoors or indoors, distance from the bulb and power of the bulb, all that good stuff I use repashy no d3 every feeding with repashy lod twice a month sometimes 3 if I’m not sure if I dusted but personally I’m more worried of undersupplimenting a little more than oversupplimenting as I see more undersupplimented chameleons and not as many with edema and well mbd isn’t reversible from what I know of but edema isn’t as big a danger

Thank u so much to nice informations
Do you raise them in a glass cage?

Oh also just like most montanes they are more sensitive to supplements I personally although this changes for everyone depending on if keeping outdoors or indoors, distance from the bulb and power of the bulb, all that good stuff I use repashy no d3 every feeding with repashy lod twice a month sometimes 3 if I’m not sure if I dusted but personally I’m more worried of undersupplimenting a little more than oversupplimenting as I see more undersupplimented chameleons and not as many with edema and well mbd isn’t reversible from what I know of but edema isn’t as big a danger
good informations thank u

Thank u so much to nice informations
Do you raise them in a glass cage?
Glass is fine, but I use hybrid enclosures (functionally similar to glass) as well as screen with sides covered by plastic. I don't routinely use glass, but it works fine if ventilation etc. is considered.

Back
Top Bottom