What are your thoughts on keeping 2 + yemens together?

stucoady

I've been in chatting to this guy on another forum who suggets that it is ok to keep more than one Yemen together provided you care for them and provide enough space. I just wondered what everyones thoughts were on this?

How big would enough space be?

Phil

Phil

I wouldn't try it in less than 6x8x4 (width, height, depth) and that space would have to include separate basking and UVB lights, separate drippers or misting nozzles, feeding stations and very dense planting with visual barriers. This could possibly house 2 chameleons.
The only reason I can think of to keep multiples in one enclosure would be if you thought it would save you space or money.
The least expensive and most space saving way to keep these animals is to provide each with a separate enclosure with visual barriers.
These animals are relentless when it comes to defending their territory or when a male wants to pursue a female (receptive or not)
Keeping them together is asking for trouble.

-Brad

everyone here will tell you no, its not a good idea.......because when they first asked that question here, they were told, no its not a good idea.

its not a good idea, thats the bottom line. if you want to know why im sure you will get enough reasons here.

basically not a good idea if you can help it, even if you dont see anything bad and you are going above and beyond to make it happen, you are still creating a constant low level stress that WILL cost you in many ways.

u didnt say so, but u are planning on housing 1 male and 1 female. you want them to breed.

they wont, they will fight and stress eachother out and will possibly phy attack eachother.

even if you did get them to not fight and she did become preg the low level stress will be terrible for the preg female.

if one gets sick they both get sick

how will you make sure they are both eating however much they need? you WILL not beable to make sure one is not eating everything.

also u didnt mention anything on it being an extremely large cage like 240gall.

so you will not beable to provide basking spot for both, and not over heat the tank, or if you do ( ie one heat lamp on top, one on side) you are leaving them within even less room to live in without running into eachother

if you are going to do it ( i did but it was 2 females in a large cage) you should have it very densely planted.....VERY

but dont

I've been in chatting to this guy on another forum who suggets that it is ok to keep more than one Yemen together provided you care for them and provide enough space. I just wondered what everyones thoughts were on this?

Phil

BTW ...
What forum? Is it a chameleon forum?
I've seen a lot of bad advice given for chameleons on other reptile and exotic pet forums. In my experience these people know a lot about snakes and spiders ... and sometimes geckos .... but not so much about chameleons.

-Brad

everyone here will tell you no, its not a good idea.......because when they first asked that question here, they were told, no its not a good idea.

I don't think that is a very fair statement. There are pleanty of people, myself included, who knew this information long before they came onto these forums. I think saying something like that somewhat devalues the knowledge of some of the members here.

Anyhow, otherwise, what you said was correct.:)

I don't think that is a very fair statement. There are pleanty of people, myself included, who knew this information long before they came onto these forums. I think saying something like that somewhat devalues the knowledge of some of the members here.

Anyhow, otherwise, what you said was correct.:)

on topic please.

take a chill pill

i dont think this is the right place to discuss this, a pm would have been nice.

but if you really want to get in to it............ ( i dont )

first of all, i dont get why you turned that statement into something negative...... it seems like ive hurt your pride im some way.
im glad you knew this before the forum, but there is no reasonable explanation for you to react as if i was speaking to anyone directly, esp you.

i dont understand how it devalues anything, im not embarrassed i didnt know much before i got here. no one knows anything untill they learn, or its taught.

i have no problem being honest about knowing next to nothing about chams before i came here. i will never take it in any kind of negative way that anyones information came from someone else that has experience or knowledge

when i said everyone i didnt mean literally, so i take it back, MOST people were told if not here then somewhere else.

P.S. im glad IYO my advice was correct ................

In the wild when two chameleons meet up, they have the option of moving away from each other...in a cage (unless its the size of a room) there is not enough space to get far enough away. Even hiding in the foliage in the cage is not good enough IMHO because there is still that stress because they are stuck there....if they come out of "hiding" they will see each other.

Even with two females there is some stress, especially when it comes to egglaying time.

When kept together, one (or both) will invariably get sick.

Also, if you keep them together they will mate as soon as the female becomes old enough to mate. Do you really want to put that demand on a female at that young an age? Once she is gravid the stress will increase because she will constantly have to be letting the male know that she's not "available". She will have to lay her eggs while worrying about the male all the time.

IMHO, in the interest of the chameleons its best to keep veileds separately.

Back
Top Bottom