Good morning

KanjiTora

This is another "New user" post.

Haven't directly spoken to anyone on here before since this is my first post, but I just wanted to give you guys props for your manners and the information you provide to people in my shoes in the various threads I've read tonight.

I plan on purchasing two chams from Kammerflage Kreations at some point this month after I get all the required items to put together a good/safe home for them. I've read the resource tabs at the top of the forum and feel like I have a pretty good grasp on what I should do. But if any of you want to toss some ideas/suggestions at me that you learned through trial and error, PLEASE feel free to do so.

I do however plan to go into the woods (I live in Florida, for reference) and collect some actual branches to put in the cage with some of the fake vines that I've seen in other setups. Should I strip the bark off of the branches completely, then wash it with dawn dish soap a few times? What's the best method for cleaning/preparing them to be added into the cage?

Another question I have is that I've seen some of your setups and noticed that you have actual small pots with live plants on the side of your screens? What do you use to keep them secured so that they don't fall?

If you’re new to chameleon husbandry I would take on one chameleon first. When that goes well (fingers crossed!) maybe get a second one. Things can go sideways and the rehoming adjustment can be stressful.

I had a Panther, Jackson, and Veiled Chameleon before, but that was over a decade ago before I had to move to London for a few years to help with boring business obligations. But as with all things, I know things evolve and become better as we gain more knowledge and understanding with the advancements in research, etc.

Welcome to the forums 👋
You picked one of the best breeders in the country. As far as branches go imo there is no need to bake or bleach them, I just wipe them off removing any dirt, loose bark ect. a cut off any decaying ends. Branches from hardwood trees like oak work best. For plants mounted to the sides dragstrand has ledges that mount to the enclosure frame, some people use a trellis. Here's a link that you will find very useful covering all aspects of chameleon keeping ...
https://chameleonacademy.com/

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your feedback. We really try to make sure this is a friendly forum. I love that you have seen that.

So Kammerflage is a fantastic breeder. I am sure you know this but one chameleon per enclosure only. Dragon Ledges is how most of us mount pots. Pot in a pot method makes it easier to get them out if you have to swap a plant. https://dragonstrand.com/
and https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/
and my folder for cage set up pics. There are some pics of how I latch with zip ties. https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/albums/my-enclosures.6672/

I do not strip branches. I do wash mine though to remove bird poop and small pests. Dawn soap and hot water then rinse really well and let them dry back out in the sun. Avoid Pine.

Quite a bit has changed in the last 10 years. The link @SteveH shared with you will give you up to date detailed husbandry info.

Then when you have questions just come ask here. :)

Good information already.

I’m putting together my Amazon shopping list right now, the main one I’m asking help with is the UVB lamp. Does anyone use this model/brand and have a good recommendation for it?

I’m definitely getting more vines, going to Home Depot to get live plants, and will also hang some fake foliage on the sides to provide cover.

Are there any misters on Amazon that anyone can recommend?

Attachments

• IMG_3772.png
    IMG_3772.png
    225.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3773.png
    IMG_3773.png
    230.5 KB · Views: 40
Good information already.

I’m putting together my Amazon shopping list right now, the main one I’m asking help with is the UVB lamp. Does anyone use this model/brand and have a good recommendation for it?

I’m definitely getting more vines, going to Home Depot to get live plants, and will also hang some fake foliage on the sides to provide cover.

Are there any misters on Amazon that anyone can recommend?
The reptizoo brand is one I have seen a lot on amazon. Not sue about it though. I have not tested the bulbs to see if they are equivalent to the 5.0 reptisun. I went and found their website with the product. https://reptizoo.store/collections/...it-with-detachable-curved-reflector-at2824stt

Looks like it is modeled after others. You would want the reflector to be installed in the fixture. You could email them and see if their bulbs the 5.0 and the 10.0 are equivalent in output levels to that of a reptisun 5.0 and 10.0.

The only mister I recommend is the Mistking starter system.

This is another "New user" post.

Haven't directly spoken to anyone on here before since this is my first post, but I just wanted to give you guys props for your manners and the information you provide to people in my shoes in the various threads I've read tonight.

I plan on purchasing two chams from Kammerflage Kreations at some point this month after I get all the required items to put together a good/safe home for them. I've read the resource tabs at the top of the forum and feel like I have a pretty good grasp on what I should do. But if any of you want to toss some ideas/suggestions at me that you learned through trial and error, PLEASE feel free to do so.

I do however plan to go into the woods (I live in Florida, for reference) and collect some actual branches to put in the cage with some of the fake vines that I've seen in other setups. Should I strip the bark off of the branches completely, then wash it with dawn dish soap a few times? What's the best method for cleaning/preparing them to be added into the cage?

Another question I have is that I've seen some of your setups and noticed that you have actual small pots with live plants on the side of your screens? What do you use to keep them secured so that they don't fall?
Hi and welcome o also no branches from high sap producing trees ie pines and firs

Hello and welcome! For UVB, i have reptisun T5 HO 5.0 or 10.0. 24" housing with 22" bulb for both of my cages. for basking, especially since you are in florida, make sure there is a dimmer switch. Once you put the reptibreeze cage together you will see itseems very rickety. I fashioned cross beams inside at two levels on three sides. I wish i knew about dragonstand as i would have gone with that most definetly! You have chosen my fav vine from flukers and i suggest getting the different sizes. oh put zip ties on your shopping list varied sizes. If you come across rubber trees,bushes in the scavenger hunt into the glades, grab all the dead branches you can of all sizes. they have nice curves and are sturdy for the thickness. One thing i do, is plug up the hole at each end as i have had feeders nest there. I used wood putty. FL humidity is high but i do recommend covering the outside of one panel of the cage with vinly (tape it to the frame) and have all electrical go off that side. when you spray or mist you dont have to worry about ruining equipment or eletrical fires. Heres the uvb light i use. Pet Mountain has a good sale rightnow for 24"

1683842706672.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome! For UVB, i have reptisun T5 HO 5.0 or 10.0. 24" housing with 22" bulb for both of my cages. for basking, especially since you are in florida, make sure there is a dimmer switch. Once you put the reptibreeze cage together you will see itseems very rickety. I fashioned cross beams inside at two levels on three sides. I wish i knew about dragonstand as i would have gone with that most definetly! You have chosen my fav vine from flukers and i suggest getting the different sizes. oh put zip ties on your shopping list varied sizes. If you come across rubber trees,bushes in the scavenger hunt into the glades, grab all the dead branches you can of all sizes. they have nice curves and are sturdy for the thickness. One thing i do, is plug up the hole at each end as i have had feeders nest there. I used wood putty. FL humidity is high but i do recommend covering the outside of one panel of the cage with vinly (tape it to the frame) and have all electrical go off that side. when you spray or mist you dont have to worry about ruining equipment or eletrical fires. Heres the uvb light i use. Pet Mountain has a good sale rightnow for 24"

View attachment 338214
I edited your post for you. It said you used the T8 HO 5.0 so I made the edit to T5 since I knew that is what you meant :)

Just bought these two dudes this morning, along with everything that they need. Can't wait till they get here sometime next week.

Attachments

• IMG_3858.jpeg
    IMG_3858.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3859.jpeg
    IMG_3859.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 37

View attachment 338214

I need to look into dragonstand again because when I looked at it earlier in this thread, I didn't really see anything that I couldn't do on my own. I did plan on covering up the left/back side of the enclosures to prevent moisture from getting out, and also hold in more humidity. Going out into the woods this weekend to collect some branches to go with the vines, and I'll also stop by HomeDepot to pick up some plants and rocks as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom