What are you paying for gas where you are???

The next government regulated fuel price hike will take place here on Wednesday... will the madness never end?

My local pump now sell it for £1.169...so times that by 5....that's about $5.50 dollars.....and you think you have problems!!! )and I'm currently in the north - the cheap bit!)

Wow.. I have learned a lot here guys... I had a feeling that a question about gas prices would lead to this type of debate... But I love it and feel it is incredibly constructive. I have been enlightened by both sides of the discussion.. thanks.

I moved a total of 6 miles this weekend and used my Dads f250 diesel to do it. Took us like 6 trips in the truck.. I am never b uying a Diesel... Took a chunk out of my wallet filling up at $5.24 a Gal the whole time.

Well that's a very small sample of time
when you're dealing with something as bit as the planet earth.
the general pattern is clear for the last 100 years in accordance with our population explosion.

Have you seen any of the graphs for thousands of years ago? The last 100 years is a very short time as well. The temperature has gone up and down for a long, long time. I don't buy in to all this "global warming" hype.

Tyler,
I'm sorry about the "taylor" thing.. that was not intentional.:)
Guess that Kriss Andersone has resorted to calling me "Rob" vs Ron
It's OK... me understand ;)

I'm not gonna go through the list again and make it clearer, as I apparently don't have as much time to dig up links as others do, but there's just as much evidence and just as many links and bar charts to back up what I'm saying as there is for what you're saying. When we went into Iraq, the majority of the population agreed, republicans agreed, democrats agreed, CIA and intel all agreed (and that's the common knowledge part)... Then when things didn't turn out perfect, everyone starts bad-mouthing the white house and saying we're there for oil. I'm not one for conspiracy theories though, and I didn't bother looking at all your links (because I'm sure that's what I would regard them as, conspiracy theories) based on the left wing talking points being made. For the record, I do think we landed on the moon, we did not intentionally flood New Orleans, and I don't think that we blew up the World Trade Center. Seems like even those things are being argued by the same people saying there's man-made global warming going on.
Alright...
Well, it's kinda of difficult to handle a discussion when the opposing side
doesn't go over the supporting evidence you provide.
While at the same time they neglect to give supporting evidence for their own position.
"sigh"
I'll still write a reply anyway.

When the case was being built for our invading Iraq
everyone was being dealt misinformation.
Not just incorrect or mistaken errors
but outright lies from "sources" that other intelligence agencies code named: "curveball" .
who, was feeding certain people that were very eager to find an excuse to invade a nation
that had NOTHING to do with 9.11.

Dick Cheney personally supported another shady con-man character
who they tried to put in charge of Iraq after the invasion.
Not only was he hated by the Iraqi people he was also wanted for embezzling nearly $300 million through a bank he created in Jordan.
Chalabi.jpg

Ahmed Abdel Hadi Chalabi
(Doesn't HE look trustworthy.. Dick C thought so...
and allowed him to steal tens of millions from our country too)

Our political system is such that anyone opposing any action would be denounced. It would be very difficult since the flow of intelligence information was severely restricted by the bush administration. Those that did were covertly attacked by the whitehouse.
People & congress was getting disinformation from the whitehouse
designed to facilitate a invasion or the second largest oil supply on the planet.

Protecting Kuwait from Iraq is what this country does, preventing hostile takeovers. Just as if Venezuela invaded Columbia, we'd probably be right there too.
YEAH, our nation PREVENTS hostile takeovers and invasions.
I believe that our history speaks for itself. 1953 Iran (to just name one)
It's not that we "prevent" hostile takeovers
Our nation encourages hostile takeovers of those we don't like
for whatever rea$on (remember Iran Contra?)
AND there's a long history of replacement legitimate governments
with puppet governments of our choosing
(that are usually harsh dictatorships
that cater to our business interests and abuse their people).

re: bush is poor... :(
Yeah well bush is a idiot puppet that takes his instructions from
Dick Cheney ... who got very rich
When he was appointed as VP his worth was around 7 million
now it's up to 100+ million dollars!
He's also moved his investments out of america and into european bonds

anyway I'm getting off topic
The oil companies are making a KILLING.
The bush family have deep texas oil connections and will no doubt be thanked $$$ after their public life comes to an end.

I didn't expect many of you to see things my way in this... We are, afterall, in an online forum filled with animal lovers. That's ok. I just know what I think, and I see so many contradictions in "the other" mindset, so I had to say something.
It's completely Ok with me.... I know that some people believe as you do.
The fact is that it's important to discuss this stuff and if we can get at the truth and act upon it.
That is what matters most.

Have you seen any of the graphs for thousands of years ago? The last 100 years is a very short time as well. The temperature has gone up and down for a long, long time. I don't buy in to all this "global warming" hype.

Yes I've seen them.
IF you accept that CO2 retains heat
and that we're releasing CO2 into the atmosphere by the trillions of tons
then it's not rocket science is it?

People used to say that you couldn't poison the great lakes or overfish the sea
well we know that isn't true.

what's more likely?
That we are influencing our planets average temperature as a result of using fossil fuels
as least thirty scientific societies and academies of science say.

OR

That corporate oil wants to continue to make record profits
So they pay individuals or political think tanks to debunk the science societies.
AND by strange coincidence they just happen to come up with the truth...

Personally, I think that there are certain types are all out for themselves,
don't care about anything and will leave it for "someone else to deal with" in the future.
problem is... there may not be a future for any of us OR our children.

Last edited:
So, as per the chart you linked to, our planet is approximately 1/2 of a degree Celcius warmer than it was in 1850 :rolleyes: Thats some definative proof if I ever saw it considering that they state on the website "However, this finding is under dispute because some claim that the amount of error in the data is too large to justify the conclusion" ;). Reguardless, you would think that the increased amount of CO2 generated would have had a higher impact than that when you think that we were generating very little in 1850 as opposed to now. Some how the facts can work in different ways, it's just who ever puts the best spin on them :p

And if you do recall as I remember, one of the reasons we went into Iraq was because Saddam would not let the UN inspect sensitive areas suscpected of containing nucular facilities. IF he didn't have something to hide, why would he be hiding. I guess in your logic it would have been better to find out the other way, which would have been wait and see:(. Oh well, we went over there to protect our interests which were many, and we are helping some innocent people out along the way. Life is tough, bad things happen when good men and women do nothing.

Re: Cheney's trouble with truth and curve ball, your

It's a great article by a periodical that describes themselves as "the flagship of the left." So much for unbiased polotics there, I was expecting them to praise Cheney.

The article didn't seem that credable as they conveniently left out the name, position, and relation of the "top level german intellegence source".

I'm all for doing what we can to help keep the planet a nice place to live, but there just isn't proof beyond far left conspiracies to prove it. 6/10th of a degree over the past 150 years isn't going to do it. Does that mean we should go about not giving a crud about the planet? No, Im sick of the smog I see and smell when I go into the city and Im doing my part to get to make it better, I bought a Hummer instead of a hybrid. see http://www.reason.org/commentaries/dalmia_20060719.shtml , and I started working from home last year. I probably use less gas in my hummer than some hybrid owner does in any given week.

Back on the gas, the cheepest I found in the past few days was 4.19, but my area is averageing 4.35.

Last edited:
Yes I've seen them.
IF you accept that CO2 retains heat
and that we're releasing CO2 into the atmosphere by the trillions of tons
then it's not rocket science is it?

People used to say that you couldn't poison the great lakes or overfish the sea
well we know that isn't true.

what's more likely?
That we are influencing our planets average temperature as a result of using fossil fuels
as least thirty scientific societies and academies of science say.

OR

That corporate oil wants to continue to make record profits
So they pay individuals or political think tanks to debunk the science societies.
AND by strange coincidence they just happen to come up with the truth...

Personally, I think that there are certain types are all out for themselves,
don't care about anything and will leave it for "someone else to deal with" in the future.
problem is... there may not be a future for any of us OR our children.

Maybe I should have said hundreds of thousands of years. Like this one half a page down. http://www.daviesand.com/Choices/Precautionary_Planning/New_Data/ This is just the first one I could find in a quick search. I am all for cleaning up our act but I don't think global warming is what they are making it out to be.

Tyler,
I'm sorry about the "taylor" thing.. that was not intentional.:)
Guess that Kriss Andersone has resorted to calling me "Rob" vs Ron
It's OK... me understand ;)

It's ok, I think Kriss enjoys being called that. It lets him bring out his feminine side.

The oil companies are making a KILLING.

More power to them, really. If a company is able to make money in a free market, they deserve it. Just because someone is successful doesn't mean they should be taxed to death so the rest of California can sit on their butts and enjoy nice tax benefits (no offense to you other Californians, I know not all of you are free-loading LOL).

Again, yours was a post full of conspiracy theories, most of which would be wrong with a little research, or as KevinA said, from "flagships of the left." That pretty much sums it up. Excellent post KevinA.

Last edited:
Here in London, Unleaded Petrol (Gas) is £1.30 per litre ($2.60) and Diesel is £1.50 ($3.00). I don;t know about gallons though...

KevinA
And if you do recall as I remember, one of the reasons we went into Iraq was because Saddam would not let the UN inspect sensitive areas suscpected of containing nucular facilities. IF he didn't have something to hide, why would he be hiding. I guess in your logic it would have been better to find out the other way, which would have been wait and see. Oh well, we went over there to protect our interests which were many, and we are helping some innocent people out along the way. Life is tough, bad things happen when good men and women do nothing.

I fully agree about paraphrased quote from Edmund Burke

I do remember the UN inspectors, sanctions and all the rest.
watch this saddams bluffing
I'm not saying that he was a great guy.. He was just like MANY of the other thugs
and dictators that rule around the world. This nation doesn't bother with deposing any of them.
Hundreds of thousands were killed in the Sudan and Rwanda in their Genocide but this nation doesn't bother.
The Shah of Iran, The Marcos's in the philippines and just about every other puppet state this nation
has put into place were very cruel in maintaining their societies as a general rule... but they're "friends".
We invade Iraq to "bring democracy and freedom to their people...
only as PR to get the common american to get behind what is basically an oil grab.

IF this nation really cared they would have dealt effectively with the power vacuum in Iraq.
Somewhat on a side note is a GREAT presentation from Thomas Barnett:
"The Pentagon's new map for war and peace"

(please watch it... it's short).

"flagships of the left."
well are the points true or not?
attack the message and debunk it....
if you're right - then I'll agree with you.

Taylor we don't live in a free market system when it comes to corporations
if Enron didn't prove anything to you, then... I'm sorry -you're living in a bubble.

At least, can you start citing references please for your wild statements?
Please do "a little research" as you say.... I'm sure we would all be grateful. :)

Last edited:
3.785 litres is equivalent to one gallon.

site rules said:
Discussion of real world politics, nationalism, religion, war, or other similarly controversial topics is NOT acceptable or appropriate for this forum.
The thread topic is flirting with some very sensitive issues. Discussion of politics in a forum like this will only act as a divider. It is likely that this thread will be closed in the very near future.

Brad is right guys... While I love reading all the points... and everyone has been respectfull.. I would like to keep the thread going on the Original topic if possible, Would be cool to see how quickly these numbers rise or fall, so lets not get the thread removed. I have enjoyed reading the debate, Thanks Guys...

GROUP HUG!!!

Todays Prices... Ventura County

$4.21 for regular...:eek:

Taylor we don't live in a free market system when it comes to corporations

Wait, who's Taylor?

So if I was to tell you that at your show, I wanted you to price your animals (or whatever you're selling) down, to be just high enough to cover the cost of your show, would you do it? If you went home with $5,000 profit, would you feel guilty and give it to the other guys that didn't do as well? Or is it ok just because it's not you "making a killing" as defined by you? That's basically your mindset. Funny how successful people should be expected to give up their profits, but when it's applied to you, it's a different story.

My statements are not wild, are not false, and are not outside common knowledge; just that the left tries to forget the reasons we went into Iraq (both times) blame Bush, blame Bush, blame Bush (and Cheney if you have time). Again, I don't have time to dig up links, and again, it's all common knowledge. I'm not throwing out conspiracies that need lefty links to back them up. It's basic information.

Brad, don't worry, I don't think anyone's getting too upbeat about it. We now know Robin is a lefty, so it's not dividing us ;)

Las Vegas gas prices as of this morning $4.02 for regular.

While the prices we are seeing today at the pump area a result of a free market it just isn't justified. I've been seen it in a different way recently because it just didn't make sense last month when there was a surplus of supply of oil flowing to and into the US, however, we saw historic gains in price at the pump and per barrel. When ever something is on the rise, there will always be someone somewhere who will pay more for it based on the hope that the next day they can sell it to someone like themselves for a little more. Non complex short term investing. (Speculating) Someone probably picked up a copy of investing for idiots.

So you see, my problem with the prices we see today are the fact that it is not consumer demand that is the driving force of the market in America, but investor demand(that does not corrilate to supply and consumer demand) for a commodity that is a basic necessity for Americans that dictates market prices, which in my opinion is a failed market. Also there is that speculation issue... I research finance economics and real estate all day and this stinks like the real estate market of 2005, however, because it's running out:rolleyes: we will not see declines like we are seeing in real estate.

It may seem to contradict my beliefs, but I am not opposed to an investigation of the oil market. There is just some things that are just not right with it and I think there is the possibility of price manipulation, though no one will be indited from the investigation guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom