What are Some of Your Favorite Songs and Music Videos?

While he didn't write "I'm My Own Grandpa" Steve Goodman was one of the most talented (albeit lesser-known) songwriters of the 20th century, a contemporary of—and often partnered with—John Prine.

Steve was taken early by leukemia at age 36 in 1984. 😢 The Missus & I were part of a weekly ad hoc Bluegrass band at the time. The news affected us profoundly.

If you had trouble following the above song, here's a diagrammed version by Ray Stevens.

Covered by many (including Grandpa Jones, Willie Nelson, Ray Stevens, Guy Lombardo [Lombardo Trio], The Muppets, Disney [pre-Muppets], Pat Buttram, Chad Morgan, Leroy Troy & the Tennessee Mafia Jug Band, and others) the song was written by Dwight Latham* and Moe Jaffe sometime in the 1940s. This version (1947) by Lonzo & Oscar is allegedly the first recording of the song.

*From Wikipedia:
In the 1930s, Latham had a group, the Jesters, on network radio; their specialties were bits of spoken humor and novelty songs. While reading a book of Mark Twain anecdotes, he once found a paragraph in which Twain proved it would be possible for a man to become his own grandfather. ("Very Closely Related" appears on page 87 of Wit and Humor of the Age,[1] which was co-authored by Mark Twain in 1883.) In 1947, Latham and Jaffe expanded the idea into a song, which became a hit for Lonzo and Oscar.

For some bizarre reason I just love this video. It’s absurdity just makes me happy. 😊
THAT'S THE ONE! :ROFLMAO: I've never seen this video, so I never knew what the song, etc. was.
All I know is somebody synched the soundtrack to a cat, and that vid cracks the Missus up like a classic Warner Bros. cartoon (funny no matter how many times you see it).

...and another one. :)
Omigosh! Mustabeen 25/30 years ago, a friend & I drove up to Canada to play in a Crokinole tournament. It was a long drive, so we took a motel room for the night before. With nothing to do that evening, we spotted a club in strip mall across the street from the motel (well, at least nobody had to drive back to the motel! :p)

When we got to the door, the bouncer said, "$5 cover". Friend & I looked at each other thinking, "Cover charge for a dive like this?" Bouncer added, "There's a live band tonight." We figured what the hey, forked over our $5 CDN and went in.

"Dive" it was not. This was the biggest bar I had ever seen in my life.
It was huge—like a mega-Walmart, but a bar.... Actually 7 bars spaced around the place, and a huge stage at one end. We got a couple of adult refreshments, and since things hadn't got jumping yet, we played a few games of pool.

Then the band came out & started playing... You guessed it—ELO. We were in the farthest part of the place from the stage, and we still had to yell in each others' ears to be heard over the music & din. Well over 1000 people in there that night.

Another thing they had that I'd never seen before was a coded balloon thing. Patrons could buy different colored helium balloons; each color had a different meaning, e.g "Available", "Back off—I'm in a relationship", "Buy me a drink", etc., etc. I can't remember all of them...

Back
Top Bottom