What are everyone's major?

wst0209a

I have been going to college for 2 years now and will be transferring to Towson University this fall to continue my education. I am trying to decide whether I won't to be an accounting major or a Finance major. Not really sure of the differences between the two except for that the accounting major is harder and longer (5years), and that you can work for the government with the accounting major. Anyway, I was just curious about what other people are going to school for or what you did go to school for.

The thread title shows how bad I am in english. lol

Last edited:
I think I might apply for an accounting position for the zoo. I just found that they are looking to hire for 2 positions for their accounting department. That would be awesome if I worked at the zoo. It all depends on the hours and compensation though. I am waiting to hear back from the lady and then I will decide. I would love that job, I would be around 2 things I love, animals and accounting (don't love it but I am really good at it).

im still in high school but im actually shooting for the stars. i want to work at nasa and hopefully get into astronaut training, its hard i know, and to the international space station. i have to go into engineering though too.

I'm trying to finish my last year towards getting my bachelors degree in game art and design. Just 10 more classes to go.

im still in high school but im actually shooting for the stars. i want to work at nasa and hopefully get into astronaut training, its hard i know, and to the international space station. i have to go into engineering though too.

Good Luck!
I live about 45 minutes from the launch pad.
I dont mean do discourage you in anyway.
I dont know if you have been doing much reading, but NASA is going to be laying off a bunch, the last figure was around 3,000 I think, of people.
The layoffs will be country wide.
Florida mosly, but Texas and California too.
The space station is nearly done and they are bringing in the new shuttle.
So, hopefully during their break period, when they are changing shuttles, you can get most of your school done.
Otherwise I think getting a job is going to be very hard.
FYI- A space suit for the space walks cost 200 MILLION dollars, and they are custom made to fit each asrtonaut.
Just the pair of gloves you wear are 40 thousand.
Now that is tax money well spent!
Again, best of luck!

that is bitchin.

my major is Astronomy. i would like to work for nasa, but i would rather
teach it because its more exciting explainging space to everyone then
doing really complicated measurments. im transfering to ohio state in the fall.
i would love to go to space but they usually dont send astronomers to space.
ive been really excited beacuse its been getting nice out and school is ohmost
over so i can go out all night with my telescope and just look.

I majored in fast women, drugs and late nights. Of course this might have something to do with why I never graduated high school. Guess that doesn't count for anything. Oh well things still worked out in the end.

Stay in school kids.

Last edited:
I graduate in one week and will be a registered dental hygienist... but this summer I need to take a 2 week local anesthesia class....you know the numbing shots....yeah we have to practice on each other...I can't say I am looking forward to that!

I have been going to college for 2 years now and will be transferring to Towson University this fall to continue my education. I am trying to decide whether I won't to be an accounting major or a Finance major. Not really sure of the differences between the two except for that the accounting major is harder and longer (5years), and that you can work for the government with the accounting major. Anyway, I was just curious about what other people are going to school for or what you did go to school for.

The thread title shows how bad I am in english. lol

I really hope before you decide, you find out what the difference is between the two! Accounting is all about tracking money. Finance is all about selecting the best way to loan or borrow money. Both give insight into managing money. If you're only going to get one degree, in general, to make money in this life, you're better off majoring in the hardest program you can do which you enjoy. As a general rule, the harder it is to get the degree, the more lucrative the job is that will be waiting for you. Last I remember, you could get a CPA with an accounting undergraduate, but they were talking about requiring a master's degree. A CPA would be nice, but pursuing it may mean that you're committing yourself to a master's degree.

Steve

I really hope before you decide, you find out what the difference is between the two! Accounting is all about tracking money. Finance is all about selecting the best way to loan or borrow money. Both give insight into managing money. If you're only going to get one degree, in general, to make money in this life, you're better off majoring in the hardest program you can do which you enjoy. As a general rule, the harder it is to get the degree, the more lucrative the job is that will be waiting for you. Last I remember, you could get a CPA with an accounting undergraduate, but they were talking about requiring a master's degree. A CPA would be nice, but pursuing it may mean that you're committing yourself to a master's degree.

Steve

Yeah, I will be meeting up with an advisor to figure out what course I want to take.

danielle609- that is going to be a funny day numbing each other:). Its fun to test out things, like how cops test out taser guns on each other. I'd like to try that out once.

Great to hear what everyone is going to school for. Keep em coming.

I was kicked out of Math 11 for animating in the corners of my textbooks. I failed Art 12 for drawing comics instead of writing art history essays.

I'm now a lead animator for games the Seattle area, with a certificate in 2d animation from the Vancouver Film School. I also freelance writing and illustrating comics, graphic novels, and children books.

life is weird

I guess this is off topic though because I don't have a major.

danielle609- that is going to be a funny day numbing each other:). Its fun to test out things, like how cops test out taser guns on each other. I'd like to try that out once.

Yeah..it would probably be better if we got to learn how to administer the nitrous oxide at the same time :)

I was kicked out of Math 11 for animating in the corners of my textbooks. I failed Art 12 for drawing comics instead of writing art history essays.

I'm now a lead animator for games the Seattle area, with a certificate in 2d animation from the Vancouver Film School. I also freelance writing and illustrating comics, graphic novels, and children books.

life is weird

I guess this is off topic though because I don't have a major.

I know what you mean. I almost didn't graduate high school because I was always drawing in class and not paying attention. But I got by on C's and D's. Then now that I'm studying Game Art And Design in college, I get A's and B's. Best gpa average I ever had my whole life. School is for fools.....lol jk.

Just graduated in January from Nortern Alberta Institute of Technology (Canada), I took Computer Systems Technology,

and now am trying to adjust to life at a desk :confused:

I got a BS in Industrial Technology/Electronics, but I wanted to play in bands instead of getting a "real" job. I got tired of being broke and ended up cutting my hair and getting one of those "real" jobs and now I'm a commercial lines claims adjuster. :mad: (watch out, Cain! this could be you!!)

Anyway, I'm just months away from being 100% debt free (cars, mortgage, credit cards) and I'll be getting out of claims and doing something I enjoy again for a change.

i got thrown out of High School, twice. It actually got easier the second time.

Eventually I enetered college as a mature student and graduated with an Electronics Engineering Honours Technologists Diploma. THats equivilant to an Associate's Degree in the U.S.

If I had to do it over again , I would study to be a Forensic Accountant or I'd become a white collar criminal.

I majored in finance(actually double in Real Estate as well) from a decent school and took a bunch of accounting classes as well. My college girlfriend majored in Accounting Your first year take the level 1 finance course and level 1 accounting course, may be the level 1 and 2 of each. You'll have to take more than 1 of each for either major. It will give you a better understanding and may help you decide.

In general, accounting is more remembering where to put debits and credits. or tracking money through the books. If you major in accounting these two abbreviations WILL haunt your dreams for the rest of your life "DB" an "CR" :eek:;)

Finance you are evaluating risk and return. Lots of math, if your not good at statistics :eek: might have a hard time but there were plenty of dense people in my classes that got through. Basically, your using formulas ect to find out how you should allocate money(savings ect), how much risk you are taking with your investment choice and how much you require to make that investment worthwile and how mush that investment should cost initially. Things that might haunt your thoughts while in college are standard deviation, the term beta, time value of money but not as bad as the "DR CR"

Either field has good upsides. Both are well paying fields and if you do well have good oportunities. Accounting may have a slightly higher job placement rate, but thats only if you do well. You can actually go into either field with either degree. For accounting I think there is like 24 additional units required.

Also, you know how there is an additional 20-30 units for an accounting... well at least 6-12 of them are economic and finance courses. It would be a little work, but I would recomend doubling in finance and accounting because you could just pick up the finance with the additional units required for your CPA. Otherwise your really just waisting money taking random classes that wont really serve you well. A lot of my friends took pointless classes just to get the units by.

I actually went to college not sure of what I wanted to major in but stmbled upon finance and real estate through some G.E's I took and got my interest sparked.

If you have any specific questions let me know, I still have some of the stuff pretty fresh in my memory.

Back
Top Bottom