What are all the ingrediënts of powder supplement for?

aeolis23

Hey

People are often talking about the D3 or the phosphor or the beta carotene or whatever in powder supplements. I never have any clue why this is all so important, so now I just want to know for everything in the box what it is for.

What happens when they have lack of it? What happens if they have too much of it? Are there any products that are not in my powder supplements?

Anyone who can help me out with this research?

These are all the products I could find in the supplements I am using:

Minerals or trace elements
- Calcium
--> I've heard this is very important for the building up of their bone structure and because bone isn't a static structure, but constantly renewed, adult reptiles also need enough calcium to keep their bones healthy.
- Fosfor
Note: Most of the supplements say there is a 2:1 ratio and written on the box is dicalcium phosfate. But dicalcium phosphate is not Ca2PO4 but CaHPO4 (which has a 1:1 calcium to phosporus ratio). Hmmmmm..... : - / Is it possible that they themselves have no idea what they are selling?
Note: I have heard fosfor can be bad for them, why?
- Natrium
Note: Sometimes this is referred to as 'salt', which is NaCl or natriumchloride.
- Magnesium
- Potassium
- Fluorine
- Copper
- Zinc
- Manganese
- Iron
- Cobalt
- Iodine
- Selenium
- Molybdenum

Vitamins
- Vitamine A
Note: I have heard it's better to give bèta-carotene. Why? And are there supplements where they give bèta-carotene instead of vitamine A?
- Vitamine D3
--> Vit D3 is necessary for a good absorption of the calcium.
--> Normally the reptile body makes enough Vit D3 itself when exposed to natural sunlight. With reptiles in captivity, some might not get enough sun to make all the D3 they need themselves.
Note: I have heard D3 can be bad for them, why?
Note: Aren't the UVB and UVA lamps in the terrarium making sure they have enough?
- Vitamin A
- Vitamine B1
Note: Sometimes referred to as Thiamine
- Vitamine B2
Note: Sometimes referred to as Riboflavin
- Vitamine B3
Note: Sometimes referred to as niacine or nicotinic acid.
- Vitamine B5
Note: Sometimes referred to as Pantothenic Acid.
- Vitamine B6
Note: Sometimes referred to as Pyridoxine
- Vitamine B12
- Vitamine E
- Vitamine C
Note: Sometimes referred to as ascorbid acid.
- Vitamine K3
Note: Sometimes referred to as Menadione.
- Calcium D-pantothenate
- Biotine
- Folic acid
- Biotine
- Choline

Added amino acids
Note: Deficiencies in amino acids in carnivorous reptiles and amphibians is extremely rare because they eath whole prey.
Note: AA are the building blocks of proteïnes. When the reptile metabolises it's proteïnes, he produces uric acid which ends up in their faeces. Too much proteines, leads to too much uric acid, which can lead to gout, renal failure and possibly death if not treated.
Note: Feeding your feeders with cat or dog foods might lead to an excess of proteïnes for your reptile. (Should you avoid supplements with amino acids when you already feed your feeders with cat or dog foods?)
- Lysine
--> Essential AA
- Methionine
--> Essential AA
- Histidine
--> Essential AA
- Leucine
--> Essential AA
- Threonine
--> Essential AA
- Tryptophan
--> Essential AA
- Isoleucine
--> Essential AA
- Arginine
--> Essential AA
- Valine
--> Essential AA
- Phenylalanine
--> Essential AA
- Glycine
--> Necessary when the diet has low methionine or arginine
- Glutamine
- Cystine
- Tyrosine
- Aspartic acid
- Glutamic acid
- Alanine
- Serine

Used supplements
* Zoo Med’s ReptiVite TM without D3
* Exo Terra Calcium + D3
* Repco Vita-Totaal

Every now and then I will try to update the post with new info I found. Hopefully you can give me some usefull info to add to the list! Please, don't give me links to sources, because (unfortunately) I just don't have time to read everything...

Back
Top Bottom