what am i doing wrong?

Yak

Breeding Crickets 101

So far I have been successful at keeping the mortality rate down to 2%, chirping and healthy.

However I can't seem for the life of George, get them to breed. I've provided three mediums;

1. vermiculate (sp?)
2. lose dirt
3. compacted dirt

Still no eggs! I've had this batch since July 20th I bought them when they were one week. I'm afraid they will start dying soon, since their term is approaching. I still have like 500.

What can I do will all the crickets?!

I've always had a lot of success with just plain, organic (no pesticides, obviously!) moist soil. How long have they been adults? They may take a few days to really start breeding once they reach maturity.

I've always had a lot of success with just plain, organic (no pesticides, obviously!) moist soil. How long have they been adults? They may take a few days to really start breeding once they reach maturity.

Hi Olimpia,
They have been adults for about two weeks.
I have a red basking bulb 24/7 to keep their bin temperature between 85-95 at all times. Again they all seem healthy and well hydrated. I made my own gutload taking samples from Sandra as well as my own nutritional formula.

Thanks again! I guess I will have to wait....
:)

I use Miracle Grow brand garden soil.
This stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-7...709&sr=8-3&keywords=miracle+grow+potting+soil

I hear organic this and organic that, but I use this stuff to great effect. I just hatched like 3000+ of the little cricket bastards. I have not had any problems at all. They have been fed to B. Dragons, Chameleons, Geckos, and even Hamsters...My sister is a small-time Robo-Hamster breeder and those tiny hamsters love munching on crickets from time to time.

I don't regulate temps on the adults, I just keep them outside in beautiful Cali weather. I use a heat pad with the eggs during the colder season. The heat pads get temps in the bin up to around 90F.

Good luck buddy.

Last edited:
try sand, mist frequently, or use a sand with a higher clay content.

make sure it stays moist (not soaked), the eggs desiccate pretty quick, so moisture is important

make sure its screened, esp w/ 500 crix, the males have a tendency to dig up and/or eat the eggs

thats what has worked for me in the past

All right fella's, I will try all mediums at once. where do you get peat moss? thanks again

try sand, mist frequently, or use a sand with a higher clay content.

make sure it stays moist (not soaked), the eggs desiccate pretty quick, so moisture is important

make sure its screened, esp w/ 500 crix, the males have a tendency to dig up and/or eat the eggs

thats what has worked for me in the past

If you keep it screened, how do the females get in to lay their eggs??

I have found Eco earth dirt perfect i tried vermiculite and didn't get any babies but when i switched to Eco earth i got about 2000

Back
Top Bottom